BL22 Disassembly and firing pin replacement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

BL22 Disassembly and firing pin replacement

Post by geobru »

I took my daughter out shooting last weekend and were having a great time until the BL22 stopped firing. I checked the ammo and found no strike on the brass, so I figured the firing pin was broken. I went home and started the learning process of how to disassemble the BL22. After removing the broken pin, I reassembled the gun without the broken piece, just so I was sure I could get it back together. :oops: I ordered the part from Browning and got it today and put it back together. I thought I would take a few photos to make it a bit easier for others to learn from my mistakes.

Lay the gun on the left side and carefully remove the screw in the receiver after setting the trigger at half cock and opening the finger lever so the locking block disengages from the top of the receiver. If you don't open the finger lever, you cannot slide this puppy apart!! Carefully pull the two halves apart taking care to keep the ejector from flying apart and losing the spring. I held the ejector down when I pulled the butt assembly out of the receiver.
BL22 Receiver pulling it apart.JPG
This pic shows how the ejector fits in the receiver and covers the Ejector spring.
BL22 Ejector in place.JPG
This pic shows the internal part of the receiver and the bolt in place before disassembly.
BL22 Internal Receiver.JPG
To remove the bolt, slide it forward, tip it forward so the locking block slides out of the side of the bolt. The metal cover that covers the locking block is in place in this photo.
BL22 Removing bolt.JPG
The locking block usually falls out when the bolt is removed. The metal cover is removed in this photo so you can see how the locking block is supposed to lay in the bolt recess.
BL22 Open Bolt assembly.JPG
This is the top of the bolt showing the broken firing pin.
Broken Firing Pin.JPG
This is a pic of the broken firing pin next to the new one.
BL22 Firing pins.JPG
To remove the firing pin, just drift the pin holding the firing pin out of the bolt. The firing pin spring lays under the firing pin and needs to be installed before the new firing pin is put in place.
Firing pin spring in place.JPG
The firing pin lays over the top of the spring, just slide it into the bolt. Drift the pin through the hole in the bolt and you are ready to reassemble!

There are two tricky steps that you need to be aware of. First is getting the locking block in its place on the bolt while making sure that the carrier guide pin is above the cocking lever link. If it isn't, the action won't slide back. You will definitely know if you don't get it in the right place. I hope I don't have to explain why I am emphasizing this point... :oops:
Carrier guide pin placement2.jpg
The second tricky thing is to hold the ejector in place with one hand while you slide the trigger and bolt assembly into the receiver. It isn't that bad, but it may take a couple of tries before you hit the groove and slide the butt assembly into the receiver. Line up the hole in the receiver and tighten the screw, clean up your mess and you are finished!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: BL22 Broken Firing Pin

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for posting 8) I do not own a BL22 but local dealer is always asking for my help with gun repairs :? your post may be very useful. Thank you again for taking the time to post it.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yes, many thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Another thanks !
Have had a BL22 for years and happily never had to disassemble. Looked at one of those books once about the process and decided it was certainly one of those " if it isn't broke do not fix it " rifles.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Excellent post - Thanks ! . :)

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Excellent tutorial! :D

This is the type of post that makes Leverguns such a splendid forum. You have done a great service for BL22 owners, and although I don't own one, i found your post very interesting and informative. :D :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I do own one....and I will store this post away for future reference. Thanks!
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

One day someone somewhere will google this and be blessed....well done you.

Say....has it been dry fired much do you think?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Nath wrote: Say....has it been dry fired much do you think?

Nath.
The only dry fires that I am aware of would be that shot taken after the last shot in the magazine was sent down range. I bought the gun used and have shot it a couple thousand times I'd guess. I don't know what the previous owner did with it, although the gun is in great shape.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just was wondering bro...thankyou.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!