New to me Marlberg levergun . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

New to me Marlberg levergun . . .

Post by Noah Zark »

Was at a small local flea market recently and had the opportunity to pick up this "blast from the past" -- circa 1970s-1980s. What appears to be a run-of-mill Marlin 336 levergun . . .

. . . turns out to be "the same thing but different". . .

. . . what I've always called a "Marlberg."

The Mossberg 472 and associated model numbers and store branded versions borrowed heavily from the basic Marlin 336 design, but differed substantially in details. Besides the trigger being attached to the trigger guard like the BLR, there are differences in the receiver top, safety, hammer, extractor, lever pivot pin, cartridge lifter, furniture, and bands. The Mossberg 472's bolt incorporates the Marlin tilting 2-pc firing pin to prevent OOB discharges, and it has a hammer-blocking rotating safety lever on the left side of the receiver whereas Marlins of the era had just started sporting a pushbutton hammer block safety.

This Mossberg 472's action is incredibly slick, even compared to older 1950s Marlin 336 actions. At the range shooting Prvi Partizan 150 gr 30-30s, I was able to keep it on minute of claybird at 100 yds with the open sight. The old-school oil-finished stock conjures up another time, another place when things weren't as complicated, and I was half the age I am now.

Being a longtime Marlin lever fan and a relatively newcomer to older Mossbergs, picking up a "Marlberg" lever was inevitable. Problem is, you just don't see them all that often. Part might be due to relatively low numbers being made, and the other part might be that people (or families) that own them tend to keep them.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New to me Marlberg levergun . . .

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A VERY CLEVER AND DELIGHTFUL NAME FOR A SHORT LIVED AMERICAN LEVERGUN.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice find...Is that model the one that has a stock bolt that attaches the buttstock sort of like the Savage 99 stocks attach? or does it attach like a regular Marlin buttstock does?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Terry Murbach wrote:A VERY CLEVER AND DELIGHTFUL NAME FOR A SHORT LIVED AMERICAN LEVERGUN.
Rolls off the tongue better than "Mosslin."

Ben_Rumson wrote:Nice find...Is that model the one that has a stock bolt that attaches the buttstock sort of like the Savage 99 stocks attach? or does it attach like a regular Marlin buttstock does?
The Mossberg uses a large stock bolt behind the buttplate, not a small bolt through the tangs.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

What is an OOB discharge?
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Alan -- It means "out of battery" discharge. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Wind wrote:Hey there Alan -- It means "out of battery" discharge. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Thank you Wind!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's different! 8) 8) 8)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've owned and shot a few of these older Mossbergs. They were indeed slick, and the one I owned longest was an excellent shooter. Good find, Noah.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

There was two of those at a shop last fall . Just didn't have $225 to part with . Wasn't sure if they functioned good or not.