OT - coyote bolt guns - installing peeps and camoflauging

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - coyote bolt guns - installing peeps and camoflauging

Post by AJMD429 »

As usual for me, the "simple" project of putting on a receiver sight turned into a major project, refinishing, restocking, etc., then I just HAD to use the leftover paint for ANOTHER project... :wink: A few months ago I posted about mounting a Williams FP on a Mauser and/or 1903 Springfield. There also have been a couple posts on camoflauging a stock. Well, I did the Mauser sight, and wound up having to re-stock the gun, so I also went ahead and camoflauged it. Then my son wanted to do the same thing with his bolt gun, sans the sights.

First, I got the correct Williams ordered, and test-fitted it on the action (didn't have the camo stock yet, but this was a good photo of how it sits on the receiver). I had to cut a bit of the stock(s) to clear the sight, but it was no problem.

But then I realized a taller front sight would be needed, so I had to call Brownells and get an 'un-listed' part, but they were very helpful, and I think it was $8 for it.

The dovetail on my Mauser was unusually narrow and ordinary blades wouldn't fit. As you can see, the sides of the dovetail on the sight stick out from the ramp, and I'll cut them soon.

Several cans of worms happened. I got the rear sight on without a problem, replaced the front one too. Then realized the 'ears' on the old military rear sight were in the way, even when I removed the blade parts.

I could cut them and polish them (maybe should have) but I hate to do anything I can't un-do on an old gun. So I used a propane torch and softened the solder then tapped it off. Then (of course) I had to do the front sight all OVER again, which included taking the ramp off as well, so I had to un-solder it as well. :roll: Fine. Front ramp and sight back on, and gun looks good - except for the big silver band about 4" wide under where the rear sight holder was; I couldn't 'mop' all the solder off no matter how I tried. So, re-finishing of some sort was in order. Parkerizing or paint. Hmmm - just read about 'camo-ing' a gun and it IS already a nice shade of green... OK - did that.

Now the stock won't stay on right, because the front of the rear sight holder ALSO holds the handguard. Without that in place, the front barrel band can't be installed right, and everything rattles.

Hmmm.... I did just see that Ramline made "Mauser" stocks - but would it work, given all the action types and barrel profiles? What the heck, I do have a Dremel tool... So I ordered - of course a "Camo" pattern one. Fits like a CHARM! 8) Now the only problem is the Mossy Oak camoflauge is totally different than what I'd painted on the metal gun parts. So my gun CLASHES, and I'm sure the coyotes will laugh at me. :oops: (Maybe just once, because it IS able to shoot 0.5" 50 yard groups with the peeps on 'ghost ring' mode; hoping to test at 200 yards this weekend... :twisted: )

Meanwhile, my son had a Remington 788 with a flat-black Ramline stock on it which had a small crack in the area where your thumb would rest, and it needed sanded and glued, so we decided to do it up as well. The lesson we learned is DO NOT USE 'DEGREASER' on a PLASTIC stock without testing it first somewhere. There was WD-40 residue in the crack, so I figured a quick squirt of degreaser would help the epoxy hold better. The INSTANT it hit the stock, you could see cracks forming all over like a fast version of mud-flats drying out. :o Fortunately, WD-40 was at hand, and the 'better' solvent replaced or displaced or did something so it quit when it was just superficial damage. I don't have any handy 'plasticizer' chemical to put back in, but we sanded the area and it looks fine now. Scary. For the painting, we used four colors of muted acrylic spray paint (Krylon) that said ‘interior/exterior’ on it, with the first coat being ‘sand’ color, then light olive-green, then darker green, then finally brown. We used oak leaves and dandelion leaves (they worked better due to narrower so more pattern, and floppier so they stay against the gun better).

The only problem was his gun has a scope, so we covered the lenses (it has caps built-in), but had to leave the turrets and zoom and focusing/parallax rings unpainted. We'll probably have to figure out something better, or the coyotes will laugh at him, too. :oops: (Though from farther away, given his is a .223 with a 16x scope. :twisted: )

Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT - coyote bolt guns - installing peeps and camoflauging

Post by gamekeeper »

Very interesting project! sounds like the sort of five minute jobs I start. :oops: Cool result though 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You Guys did a fantastic job,
That looks VERY GOOD!!!!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there AJMD429 - Go ahead and give Martha Stewart a call and see if she can help you out on the "my gun clashes" issue. She might have some ideas on locating your gun in the weeds after you get through the fence, or get your zipper back up!! I remember when this idea took root. It's been a journey for sure, and came out well. Best regards. Wind
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks good. I don't think the coyotes will laugh much especially after the first round goes down range. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I love a job, "two six-pacs" long. ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice goin', BTW !