A Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie Custom Re-Handle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

A Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie Custom Re-Handle

Post by Pete44ru »

I decided that I really didn't care for the "Kraton" rubber bumper that the Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie, I bought last Fall, was issued with - so I crafted a new handle from a stick of black/white Ebony purchased online from one of the wood vendors.

This is what I found when I cut the rubber handle apart:

The small squares of steel on both sides of the hidden tang were presumably to prevent any cross-guard movement against the rubber bumper, and the brass ferrule (since I couldn't think of a practical way to remove it, so it could be reused) went the way of the Dodo (bird ;) ).

I shaped the 1-1/2"x 1-1/4"x5" stick of Ebony to a shape that I liked & felt good - but left it a trifle too wide/thick, to allow for the saw kerf created when I sawed the stick in half, length-wise.

It didn't take too long to inlet the halves of the Ebony for the hidden tang, then attach the Ebony to the tang with glue & rivets.

IMHO, the finished product makes the bowie quite a bit more traditional than it looked with the (functional) rubber bumper.

Image Image Image

(The sheath is from a Cold Steel Natchez Bowie that went walkabout a few years ago)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: A Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie Custom Re-Handle

Post by Blaine »

It's beautiful, but, is it slippery?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nope, not slippery (as yet) - I left the pin/rivet heads a tad proud, which helps with purchase; and the polyurethane finish I used has added a little "grab" to the grip surface.

Whether or not there's ample purchase when using in wet circumstances (blood, water/snow, etc), IDK yet.

After everything cures for a few days, I'll check again, via trying to shave up a few fuzz/feather sticks for fire tinder, with slimy (I use mayonnaise as a test lube) hands.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

very good job. It looks MUCH better than the kraton. do you know what the steel alloy is?

did you add a metal pommel?

funny, I purchased rubber stall mat material for a chopper I'm working on. it's what some folks use on their cutting competition knives. the wood grips I've mocked up ARE slippery, and I wouldn't want to use it for an axe without a wrist strap, until I get the rubber ones fabbed.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks - no buttcap (yet ;) )

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I like it, you did a very nice retro to the piece.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

VERY Nice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Looks good
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very attractive and interesting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Doubt that you need a butt cap. Aren't these mainly show pieces?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Savage wrote:Doubt that you need a butt cap. Aren't these mainly show pieces?
Cold Steel knives are working knives. Most if not all of the early CS knives were made from Carbon 5 steel. I have a Recon Bowie, Recon Tanto, Carbon 5 hunter and a Carbon 5 twist lock folder. I've had them for over 20 years. They haven't made the twist lock in at least 10 years.

At one time I'm pretty sure Cold Steel made a Trailmaster Bowie with a solid material coffin handle that was probably the most expensive knife they ever made.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Thanks - no buttcap (yet ;) )

fine craftsmanship, you are a patient guy
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks beautiful. You are a brave soul. I agree the kraton handle is not attractive, but it is functional. I'm not sure I could have brought myself to cut it off! :shock:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thank you for the kind words....... :)

Since, in the past, I've successfully made at least a dozen grips/scales for handguns, and a couple of knife handles for some kit blades I bought, I was confident that I could re-handle the CS.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Came out nice 8) 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Thanks, Pete, for showing me what's inside that rubber handle. Now I'll be on the lookout for a nice elk antler to make a grip for mine!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'll admit the Kraton has zero class, but I was glad to have it on my old Buck Vanguard Zipper last time I was elbow-deep in deer guts. That said, you really did do a bang-up job on your conversion, Pete.

8)
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Pete44ru wrote:...(I use mayonnaise as a test lube)...
Clever, that.

Nice job on the handle - real purdy! Thanks for pix and info.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done on the handle.
I have a couple of Cold Steel knives that have been with me on four continents as the best knife and steel I could afford, abuse, and bet my life on.
It is not the critic who counts
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

sore shoulder wrote:
Old Savage wrote:
Doubt that you need a butt cap. Aren't these mainly show pieces?

At one time I'm pretty sure Cold Steel made a Trailmaster Bowie with a solid material coffin handle that was probably the most expensive knife they ever made.
Thanks again, folks - for all the (too) kind words (I appreciate them).

Fred - Butt caps come in handy when something (or somebody) needs a quick pounding - why some real fighting knives have a butt cap with a central protrusion.

soreshoulder - I'm sorry I missed your post when I replied previously, but you're correct. CS made a coffin-handled (rosewood ? ) bowie they named the Natchez Bowie (that's where I obtained the loopless leather belt sheath, above, that just simply stuck into a waist band/belt for carrying).

I've preciously owned a few different commercially-made bowie knives (a Gerber, a CS Natchez, a Western, a stag CS Trailmaster, etc) - but upon actual use (camp knife, kindling making & separating game shoulder bones, etc, etc) found something about each one that wasn't apparent to me when I bought them (blade too long or too wide, handle uncomfortable, whatever).

I find the shape & dimensions of the CS Trailmaster Kraton handle just right for me (YMMV), and so I pretty much copied the Kraton/rubber handle's shape with the Ebony.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pete, let's not forget, you're a lover not a fighter. That is a cheese slicer with gravitas. White wine or red, Korbel? Hard to charm the ladies with Kraton :-)

Darn it Pete, here you are drawing me into this and I have been so good for so long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm likin' the file work on that Mora, Fred - practical as a safe finger/thumb rest for extra leverage, too. :)

(When you said I was drawing you in, I expected you to post a "lady" pic :mrgreen: )

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No??? Me???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.