need help loading barnes 250 grain TSX for .45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Greg Koziol
Levergunner

need help loading barnes 250 grain TSX for .45-70

Post by Greg Koziol »

I've never reloaded in my life but came up with the idea the other day for a load that would fill the niche for home defense and deer hunting and maybe an occasional coyote or two. I saw the 250 grain Barnes triple shock X which looks like a really good bullet. I have a buffalo bore 300 grain box now which are loaded up to 2400 which are really accurate out to 200 yards only drops a few inches, but I think a little overkill for home defense and for coyotes and also with a 250 grain bullet I figure I could extend the range of my .45-70 to 250-300 yards with minimal bullet drop. I was wondering if anyone has experience in loading the 250 grain bullet and getting up to it's highest safe power in a marlin rifle... (2500-2700 fps??) and if anyone has a recipe for me I could try when I get my reloading stuff. Thanks a lot.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re: need help loading barnes 250 grain TSX for .45-70

Post by SJPrice »

Try here, it is the Barnes web site:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/45- ... 895Web.pdf
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have loaded the Barnes 250 TSX to exceed 2500 FPS in my 1886 .45-90s, but settled on a slightly slower load for deer hunting. 52.5/RL7 gives 2200 FPS and the bullet had a devastating effect on a nice Blacktail buck. The bullet entered the behind the right shoulder, destroyed the deer's lugs and heart, and exited the left shoulder. I have no idea where it went, but the buck was DRN. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Greg Koziol
Levergunner

Post by Greg Koziol »

AWESOME thanks SJ...i was looking all over for something like that
Greg Koziol
Levergunner

Post by Greg Koziol »

Mike D. wrote:I have loaded the Barnes 250 TSX to exceed 2500 FPS in my 1886 .45-90s, but settled on a slightly slower load for deer hunting. 52.5/RL7 gives 2200 FPS and the bullet had a devastating effect on a nice Blacktail buck. The bullet entered the behind the right shoulder, destroyed the deer's lugs and heart, and exited the left shoulder. I have no idea where it went, but the buck was DRN. :)
Some people on other websites were getting upset off at my idea to get a 250 grain bullet and push it fast, they said it would shoot less flat than a 300 grain bullet. They were really nasty, I guess I bruised their ego's maybe.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost4471988 , Greggy , Greggy, such a testy lil troll that likes to leave out several pertinent parts of information.... My oh my....
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

Greg Koziol wrote: Some people on other websites were getting upset off at my idea to get a 250 grain bullet and push it fast, they said it would shoot less flat than a 300 grain bullet. They were really nasty, I guess I bruised their ego's maybe.

I read the thread that you started on another forum and all of the replies were good sound advice based on experience. No one got the least bit rude or nasty towards you. You on the other hand got obnoxious and even went as far as to insult everyones wives because they wouldn't agree with your idea. If you came here looking for a pat on the back, you came to the wrong place.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I fail to understand the controversy over high velocity with lighter bullets. In real life experience they work as intended. I am a proponent of fast and light over slow and heavy bullets. In many cases a heavy bullet at modest velocity might not reach the target before it moved away. I have used both methods in hunting situations and hold my ground on the use of light bullets. You don't need a 400-500 grain bullet to kill a 160 lb animal.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nope you sure don't need a 400 gr bullet to kill a 160lb animal.
Howsomever in real life conditions the 400 gr bullet at a modest velocity will be more likely to reach the extended distances in good shape than the lighter bullets at higher velocity.
The time of flight will be something along the lines of .4 of a second advantage to the light weight bullet, but the winddrift will be something along the lines of a 1 ft advantage to the 400...
Many many things to consider when you start stretching the distance on these slow rollers, as the OP seems to want to do.
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

The controversy was about the magical Barnes 250gr TSX out of an 1895 at the max listed velocity being able to shoot point of aim out to 400yds. The OP was adamant that it could and those that were aware that the bullets total drop at 400yds is around 93.75" tried to explain that what he wanted to acieve is not possible. Hence, the OP got upset and offensive.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:o You mean
you guys are all retarded, you all have no lives all you do is bully people with good ideas because your jealous you didn't think of it, and your wives are so ugly you can't even look at them when you wake up in the morning.

Wasn't a way of thanks for trying to help me understand that shooting with a mpbr to 400 yds with a 45-70 isn't possible? :mrgreen:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Don McDowell wrote: :o
You mean
you guys are all retarded, you all have no lives all you do is bully people with good ideas because your jealous you didn't think of it, and your wives are so ugly you can't even look at them when you wake up in the morning.

Wasn't a way of thanks for trying to help me understand that shooting with a mpbr to 400 yds with a 45-70 isn't possible? :mrgreen:
Dang! Where is that "smilie" that means -
"Rolling on the floor, laughing out loud with tears in my eyes?" and so on?
Thank goodness he didn't insult their dogs! :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well I'll be Jug Johnson got his self a computer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

In no way would I ever consider trying a shot with a .45-70 or .45-90 at anything over 200 yds. Heck, the front sight bead covers the kill zone out that far, so I can't fathom someone trying 400 yard shots with a levergun and metallic sights. I won't do that with my bolt gun and Swarovski. The buck I killed a couple of weeks ago was only 40 yds away and the TSX blew on through him and out in the distance somewhere. I figure it hit him at 2100+ FPS and the bullet did as expected. Small entry, HUGE exit, mush in between. Ribs to ribs, no wasted meat.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Here's the latest pm from our budding lil ballistics expert. :roll:
Anyone can talk tough and be nasty over the internet. If you were face to face you wouldn't say that cause i'd backhand you like a red headed stepchild
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Don McDowell wrote:Here's the latest pm from our budding lil ballistics expert. :roll:
Anyone can talk tough and be nasty over the internet. If you were face to face you wouldn't say that cause i'd backhand you like a red headed stepchild

Nice. :roll:
NRA Life Member