Another reason for ammo shortages

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Another reason for ammo shortages

Post by Rusty »

In the future I can see this being the reason. I guess lead prices will be going up.

http://thesouthern.com/news/last-u-s-le ... 963f4.html
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another reason for ammo shortages

Post by Mescalero »

Coming to a border town near Del Rio,El Paso,Nogales,San Diego,Brownsville,Candalaria, Etc.
The old man used to raise Appaloosa's and burro's.
The old man has been dead now for years, and I really do not know where to buy burros anymore.
I wonder what the penalty for smuggling lead would be, and could I sell it for enough to make it profitable?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not now, but in a few years it might be.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Mescalero, every time the drought gets bad here and the price of hay goes real high, folks are just about giving away burros. Since ornamental livestock (burros, miniature donkeys etc) will no longer get you an AG exemption here, the prices on them have dropped.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have 500lb of sheet lead that was given to Me many years ago. just yesterday I called the local recycler who buys all that kind of stuff. How much? . .38 cents a lb they said. I think I better hang onto it now.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sure, lead has been virtually eliminated from our society, as compared to when I was a kid.

Its still easy to find but not as easy as it once was.

If anyone here who is young or has young children who will grow up to be bullet casters....you better go snag some and start the hoarding process.

Don't forget......you snooze, you lose.------------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I have all the galena I can pick up in the tailing piles of the abandoned mines around here one piece I got weighs 100+lbs, my only problem is if things get tight is pure tin course with all the silver in the galena it should work fine. danny
127X_001.JPG
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

More "news" -- dated 11/2/13 -- on this:

"As it turns out, the situation is not as dire as it seems. At least one bullet-maker says the Doe Run smelter closure will have no immediate effect on its raw material supply chain.

Sierra Bullets Responds: Lead Smelter Closure Should Not Cause Supply Shortage

"Addressing the issue of supply shortages, Sierra Bullets posted a notice in the Sierra Blog on November 1, 2013. Sierra Bullets Plant Engineer Darren Leskiw stated that the Doe Run smelter closure should create no problems for his company because it uses only recycled lead

"Lead Smelting Operations Have Moved to Mexico.

" Posting on SnipersHide.com, one industry insider says shooters should not be overly concerned about the Doe Run shut-down, because smelting is still being done in nearby Mexico:

“ 'The lead industry has been transitioning out of the United States for over a decade now. 85% of the lead smelting industry capacity migrated over the Mexican border where there are [fewer environmental regulations]. The remainder of production capacity will be online and running by the third quarter of 2014. There has been no production disruption to speak of in obtaining lead or lead products. The auto battery industry among others has prepared for this eventuality for some time'.

"The last lead smelter closing in December did not have enough capacity to supply even 10% of the battery industry much less the ammunition industry. The lead being used in ammunition today hasn’t been coming from the United States for years already. The closing of that plant will not have any appreciable effect on lead availability at all. There is a great deal of lead processed here being extruded, made into shot, converted to wire, etc., but the smelting operation is only one part of the production process.”

Read all 'bout it:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s= ... mit=Search
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Looks like I called this one right.
My compadre still goes to Mexico every month, guess he will have to start bringing me some.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

While I don`t have a pile as big as Sixgun`s , I should be good for life unless I am still shooting at 101. :wink: