OT - making a rear sight blade for a H&R 999 Revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - making a rear sight blade for a H&R 999 Revolver

Post by AJMD429 »

I just got a gun (H&R 999) I'd been wanting for quite awhile, but alas, there was a 'vacancy' where the rear sight blade had been... :( Of course, that got me thinking, how I'd really prefer an aperture sight anyway...

However, when I grew up, a 'hermit' of sorts lived next door, and taught me that with a little patience, you could make most anything out of a scrap of metal and a file and drill (...in fact, he'd done some time in jail for doing just that...). Anyway, I found an unusually thick 3/8" or so washer just a bit thicker than the sight blade's groove, drilled a smaller hole through one side of the washer, cut off the sides, cut off the base, file the lower part with a step-off so it rides on the rear sight base, and viola. . .

The screws on the sides of the base are for adjusting the windage (once I get it where I want it, I'll either swap out for shorter set-screws, or file the sight narrower where the set-screws hit it, so they wind up flush). The front sight adjusts for elevation using a screw above the muzzle (where a Redhawk's sight-swap button is).

I really like the sight picture - once I blue the sight, it should work perfectly for my needs. :mrgreen:

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - making a rear sight blade for a H&R 999 Revolver

Post by TedH »

Nice work! I really like those old H&R top breaks.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I figure it's as close as I'll ever get to a Schofield, and cheaper to shoot... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJ,

My H&R Sportsman, a bit older than your 999 has both screws flush with the rear sight centered. So narrowing your sight would make it match with the original sight.
Drag line close.JPG
Oh and the screws on my rear sight are so tight I can't budge them with any screwdriver small enough to fit. Glad it shoots centered.

Yuck, that's a lousy pic.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very Nice Job! :mrgreen:

Those H&R 999 Sportsmans were notorious for the rear sight loosening up quick.
Like, within the first 9 rounds.(mine did )(cousins did also)retighten em before finishing up shooting 9 more(loose)
Thats "one of the many reasons" why I love Loctite so much! After that never a issue.

Joe-----------They probably used plenty of the HD Auto parts loctite on yours! (red stuff) :o
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very good job AJ! I am looking forward to the first range report!!! 8)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

madman4570 wrote:Very Nice Job! :mrgreen:

Those H&R 999 Sportsmans were notorious for the rear sight loosening up quick.
Like, within the first 9 rounds.(mine did )(cousins did also)retighten em before finishing up shooting 9 more(loose)
Thats "one of the many reasons" why I love Loctite so much! After that never a issue.

Joe-----------They probably used plenty of the HD Auto parts loctite on yours! (red stuff) :o
madman,
Mine has been dated to 1933, so it would not surprise me if some sort of Loctite had been used on those tinsy screws. This nothing visible to indicate that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Unbelivebly kewl - Great job, Doc !

Thanks for posting.