OT: Snow Camo for Winter Fox/Coyote Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Snow Camo for Winter Fox/Coyote Hunting

Post by Old No7 »

As a heads-up to Nath over in jolly 'ol England... If I don't bag a fox or coyote this winter (or "wintah" as we call it here in Maine...), I'll be trading in my Snow Camo for some of the finest Tweeds available -- and then I'll jump over to your side of the pond to join in the fabulous fox hunting you have over there. :D

I thought some of you would like to see how effective this Snow Camo looks in the winter woods... It's the "RealTree Hardwoods Snow" insulated jacket and coveralls that I got from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Well, the look of the camo is one thing. Now I've got to put that and my JS Preymaster (with an Azden wireless transmitter/receiver) to work and see if I can lure a wiley 'ol fox or coyote into shotgun or rifle range.

If I can get lucky and connect on one real soon, then I may try to take a coyote with my .38-55 Marlin 336 Cowboy. That would make a great big hole perhaps, but it could also be a great (and "on-topic" for a change...) post about a "Classic Cowboy & Coyote Levergun Hunt". Well, wish me luck and we'll see how it goes.

Tight groups, and good huntin'.

Old No7

ps: Based on the 2nd pix, my wife says I need to paint my nose white -- just like the lifeguards used to do! 8)
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Snow Camo for Winter Fox/Coyote Hunting

Post by nemhed »

That camo looks good. Just don't get silhouetted against a large tree trunk. I'm too stingy to buy snow camo because we never seem to have enough snow to justify it here in central Indiana. In the past I have used cheap white sweats with charcoal smudges, a white sheet, and even disposable tyvek coveralls. By the way the last two issues of Predator Xtreme magazine had articles on coyote vision and the current issue has an article on the most effective camo for coyote hunting. I haven't read that one yet, though. I wish we had some snow on the ground right now or a really good cold snap to get the coyotes really active. Good hunting to you ,sir!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Old No7, your post reminds me that I need to get out and hunt some coyote pretty soon. I can tell you that 38-55 cowboy will kill yo-te just fine as I got one deer hunting this year with my old 1893. Your winter camo seems to blend nicely. You should do well as long as you don't make shadows. Those coyote see shadow in sunshine real well.

As to winter/snow camo in general, I've found a white tyvek painting coverall over regular cold weather gear with a few stripes made with a paint can to work quite well. Not nearly as stylish as your set up, but I'm cheap. :)

PS: 12ga 3" 4 buck does a real number on coyote at less than 75 yards out of a full choke.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That looks good. I've been too cheap to by snow camo. It wouldn't see much use from me. I do have a pair of white coveralls made of a thin fabric that my brother gave me. He gets them from his work for use in some kind of "clean room".
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

we haven't had enough snow for my dogs to make yellow for the last two years. That camo is good looking though.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looking good Darryl. Now go out and wack them dogs.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I call on the edge of fields. I've been using a white bed sheet poncho. Mainly because I'm setting up in snow drifts next to round bales or fences. When the snow gets deep i set up next to snowmoble trails . Coyotes are looking for easy means of travel and runs these trails when the snow gets deep. So I was looking at the camo you have and just decided I'm not doing enough woods hunting yet, but it looks like the right equipment for woods hunting.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The camo suit looks nice & warm.

I never wanted TWO camo suits, so for Winter snow predator hunting, I simply bought a set of 3x white painter's coveralls, that fit nicely over my Realtree puffies.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd say "very cool", but someone here would slap me for sure for a bad pun! That is a neat set of snow camo though! 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry dude, I only just noticed this topic.
For some reason I can't get the picture?
Anyway good luck :D

I find hands and face covered is a real must! I don't use the electric callers (to wallet tight) but understand they are very good.
I tend to wait untill I here some activity by fox before I start calling as in game birds kicking a fuss but that may be different for you. I have cold called shall we say but find it blanks more than is successfull. If I do "cold call" I look for out of the weather warm areas of thick timber etc n' get down wind with a good view of down wind of me.
I just carry a piece of canvas to sit on if I wish to sit.

Please take a camera :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Your camo looks good.
Just called some up Saturday afternoon. The areas I hunt have a lot of small cedar trees. I wear regular camo and push back into a cedar tree. Shoot most of them at 15-30 yards and they never know what hit them.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I don't see anybody in that pic. :mrgreen: