100-Year-Old Winchester 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ReadyontheRight
Levergunner
Location: Minnesota - nine months of ice and snow...three months of tough sledding.

Re: 100-Year-Old Winchester 94

Post by ReadyontheRight »

just messin with ya, figured i would get you fired up and we would see the finished product sooner
Yeah, I know.. Good one!

I could use some advice on the sights. Now that I know they are not correct, I would like to change the sights.

What did the front site look like on early 94s? I picture a tall, skinny blade sight like a 1903 Springfield - (which is also what I would like). Does anyone have pics of the correct site and where can I get one?

How do I remove the old front sight and install a new one? I have only done it on a Remington rifle where I just drifed in a tru-glow sight into a dovetail. This looks more complicated.

I will most likely save up and get a tang-mounted rear peep sight eventually, so I will leave that for now.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The front sight on a ramp like that is usually a .360" tall or there abouts bead sight.
It's best to use a front sight pusher tool to remove and install the sights. However by putting the ramp against a solid support you can drive the sight out with a punch and hammer. Remove them from L to R as you look down the barrel at a target.

A nice looking and somewhat period correct set of sights can be had from Marbles or Lyman.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The period correct front sight for your gun is a small stud type base with a steel or nickle silver blade pinned into it, and the front band much closer to the muzzle. The ramp you have is from the 30's and later. The standard rear sight for early carbines was called a "leaf" sight, commonly called a ladder sight with a sliding leaf and a folding portion that raises. The sights were very short and they had the rear sight dovetail slot much closer to the receiver. The rear sight you have looks like a nice early rifle sight, (the grooves on the sides being an earlier type)it was a semi-buckhorn style, and has been filed down flat on top in the "express" style. Actually, a better sight than the early carbine sights, and the flat top is faster and easier to use for most of us. Original early carbine leaf sights sell for $200 and up, repros are about $100 I believe.

I don't have any pics of either front or rear sights handy.

Kirk D has a nice early type carbine in 38-55 cal, if he shows up, perhaps he can post a pic of his to give you an idea. The stock was different too, with a curved buttplate that wrapped around the top of the stock, and a flat place along the top edge.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Here are a few photos of the carbine Malamute mentioned. It is a model 1894 Winchester 38-55 saddle ring carbine, made in 1907 ....

The saddle ring .....

The front sight (post with a slot in which is inserted a blade, held in place with a pin that goes through slot and post. Funny how I didn't notice the crud around the base of the front sight until after I took the photo! :shock: ) ....

The buttplate (note the flat top on the buttplate and stock) .....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Reproductions sights are available:

Rear: http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4484.htmlImage

Although I'm not sure it would be a correct front sight on a carbine for that era, this copy would correct on a rifle of that era (my 1910 26" rifle wears one) and quite similar to front sights on earlier carbines and some of the shorter "trapper models (except for the screw). Not sure if it has enough height:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4422.htmlImage

On my Trapper:Image

For that wood:
buttstock & forend: SCR pre-64, pre-war (uses curved steel buttplate as pictured by KirkD): http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/P ... stock.html

I've found the steel buttplate for this style buttstock on EBay and a couple of other sources, (none are showing it available right now).

When you start looking for that saddle ring, be aware that Winchester used two different thread sizes on the studs, (I forget which was the early and which was late, but you're looking for the early size).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You betcha ELWOOD.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

KirkD,

You need to slap some Ray Holes Saddle Butter on that old saddle, ASAP. Once you get it, get ahold of me, and I'll give you some particulars on how to get the most out of it.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1