Friends of Billy Dixon Journalist Invitational

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Friends of Billy Dixon Journalist Invitational

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi guys,

I apologize for being gone so long. I've been busy planning for the Friends of Billy Dixon Journalist Invitational at the FoBD Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility in Hotchkiss, CO. on April 16-17th. I just logged on here for the first time in months and I realize I do miss this place. But all this planning and preparing to shoot here takes time.

This is an invitation only event whose purpose was to generate some promotional articles for the FoBD range as well as reviews for some unusual firearms. I don't know for sure where the articles will be posted yet, but I will keep you guys informed.

Some of the more unusual firearms that will be present are Buck Elliot's 1886 prototype 454 Levergun (1 of 1 made) that is a work of unsurpassed strength and beauty in heat treated stainless steel of the type Freedom Arms uses.

Mic McPherson's 454 Puma that he built for me years ago with some new upgrades.

My custom built AWA Colt Lightning rifle with CCH and charcoal bluing by Turnbull and gunsmithing by our own Steve Young. It is specially set-up to fire a 360 grain Keith bullet for long range shooting although I won't have long range sights on it for this trip. Next time for sure.

There will also be some Shiloh Sharps rifles, an original 1884 Trapdoor Springfield, and Uberti Rolling Block, an original 1885 Winchester in 50 Ely and other rifles I don't even know about yet. Oh yeah, and lets not forget "Old Thirty One Twenty" my 71/84 Mauser that I hope to hit the target with at 1700 yards plus change. Wish me luck on that one as I will only have 100 rounds of my special load for that purpose.

I hope to have some good reading for your guys some time after the event!

Take care and I will write back soon. I hope to be more active on the forum again once this event is over!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Friends of Billy Dixon Journalist Invitational

Post by JReed »

I had been wondering where you had gone off to just figured you were out racking up miles on the new Hog.

Sounds like it will be a cool event. You should take your Enfield out there as well. I look forward to the report as always. :D
1700 yards is a fair bit of distance take your time with your shots use a good rest and a slow steady squeaze and you should get there.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Way ahead of you Jeremy! My "Old Savage" Enfield is packed and I have 150 rounds of fireformed loads for it. I know its capable of hitting the "Billy Dixon" target at 1538 yards because my friend Tym did it, and I hope to do the same with mine! Yeah, been riding the Hog a lot, but also working hard and reloading, planning, making phone calls etc, etc. to be sure all the things I planned on came to fruition for the event. Buck Elliot's rifle had to be shipped down from Alaska, my Lightning is BARELY ready in time, the Puma will get some last minute tinkering as well as the Enfield getting its Huber Concepts ball trigger installed. Its a wonder everything has worked out considering some set-backs, but it looks like it will be a neat, small event. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sounds like a neat event... be sure to share some pics and details with us afterwards! Oh yea... is that why we haven't seen pics of the Lightning? :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It just got shipped to CA not that long ago and I can't pick it up for 10 days. So, yeah, that is why you haven't seen pics of it yet as it is not in my possession until 11am tomorrow!

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Speaking of Old Savage - I am a journalist of sorts - guess my invite was hung up in obamamamamail - :D :D :D :lol: .

That's OK, I think I have to dry my hair.

Were you aware that I have my own line of cologne?

Or maybe I have a fire hooping lesson.

Well you guys go ahead and have fun. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

OK, now that I have picked myself off the floor from laughing, I have to admit that that was pretty funny! As you are darn aware I tried to cajole you into coming but you had better things to do! :lol:

That being said, I hope you will save a bottle of your famous cologne for me as I intend to pick some up over the summer!

Keep on "hoopin!"

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is in the safe keeping of Professor Loudenboomer. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...