One Month Odyssey Part 9 The Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

One Month Odyssey Part 9 The Bullets

Post by 86er »

The 405 gr Punch Bullet loaded in a 45-70 case at 2006 fps out of my 22" 1886 was recovered in good shape from an elephant brain. The range was no more than 20 yards. The penetration was around 44 inches. Another hit a buffalo at 35 yards. The shot was a little too far back in the ribs but it exited the other side.

The 405 gr Kodiak Bonded Core bullet loaded at 2006 fps in 45-70 hit a buffalo in the shoulder at 30 yards. It penetrated to the opposite leg, actually exiting the torso and re-entering the leg where it stayed. It expanded to nearly and inch and retained most of its weight.

The 450 gr Kodiak Solid hit an elephant for a frontal brain shot. It penetrated 30 something inches but it expanded quite a bit and stopped short of hitting the brain. This was a 45-90 cartridge fired from a 45-90 26" rifle at 2050 fps.

The 300 gr Nosler Partition was loaded into a 45-90 case to 2200 fps and fired from the 26 in rifle. The bullet penetrated a leopard from behind the shoulder to the opposite shoulder. It expanded and did not loose much weight.

The 450 gr Northfork Solid from a 45-90 case was loaded to around 1975 fps. It penetrated the leg of an elephant and exited the leg.

The 450 gr Northfork solid from a 45-70 case loaded to 1700 fps hit a buffalo at 30 yards in the pelvic right next to the tail. It took out 7 vertebrae, cut between the shoulder and chest and went through the neck (head hanging down) into the face of the buffalo. The penetration was around 50 inches!

The 540 gr hammerhead fired from a 45-70 at 1550 fps hit a buffalo next to the tail. It broke 3 vertebrae and lost 1/2 its length and weight. It turned downward and went into the front of the diaphram tissue, above the stomach.

One of the South African PH's told me "With a cast bullet you start out with twice as much weight as you need and hope half of it gets where it needs to go". The 540 gr would have put the bull down by breaking the spine, but the smearing was severe. I will personally never shoot another hardcast bullet at a thick skinned, dangerous or heavy animal.

The Northfork Solid and the Punch Solid proved to offer superb penetration in depth and straight line travel. We turned down some Northforks to 440 grain by removing 36/1000 from the base on a lathe. We then got 2125 fps, which would make them dangerous game legal anywhere in Africa. I did not use these on any animals, unfortunately.

The Kodiak 405 gr bonded core performed the same as it always does with a good amount of penetration, a huge wound cavity and a huge amount of expansion.

As of now, I am waiting to fly back to the US and will return to my home in TX on Saturday. Part 10 will be arriving home safely to my family. Oh - the tuffpak is lost as I write this. My rifle is insured for more than it's worth. CRS will kill me if his does not make it home. Wish the rifles a safe return. It is around 5AM now and I have to meet the car service soon to return to the next airport for the overseas flight. See you in a few days!.....

450 Gr Northfork solid from buffalo:

Sorry looking 540 gr Hammerhead from Buffalo and 300 gr Nosler Partition from Leopard:

Top: Punch from elephant brain- Under it: Kodiak Bonded Core from buffalo - (Bottom row L-R) What's left of the 540 gr Hammerhead from Buffalo - 450 Gr Kodiak Solid from elephant that thinks it is an expanding bullet - 300 gr Nosler Partition from Leopard.

Cool Bongo that Johannes doctored up. It is a privately owned animal and they are not native to the area.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: One Month Odyssey Part 9 The Bullets

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

If that's how they treat people over there, count me out. I'm exhausted just reading it and couldn't imagine paying to be tossed about like that. Perhaps I don't understand the situation?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:If that's how they treat people over there, count me out. I'm exhausted just reading it and couldn't imagine paying to be tossed about like that. Perhaps I don't understand the situation?
I'm with you brother. The African experience sounds like a trip through hades, not a trip to cherish. Treated like a third class citizen and on the edge of being left behind, snake bit and totally loathed and detested. No thanks. The American stuff sounds like a blast.

I really appreciate the reports, Joe. But, if I were paying good money to go to Africa and you set something up for me that even came close to that experience, I'd never be back.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yep, the story he puts together really would, if it happened to me, would infuriate me on what would be a one time trip of a lifetime. Good deal or not, I would not go on such a trip. Life's too short.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Joe,
That sounds like an adventure. I hope your rifles make it back. Thanks for the write up. Just reading it gets my blood flowing.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

The basic rudeness you are describing is part of the reason I would not travel to Africa ...much less pay to hunt.

I have read most of your Africa account... and that sort of treatment may be some folks cup of tea... but if thats the way it is..count me out.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I don't think Joe is using your typical hunting excursions. But what an adventure . Have a safe trip home.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looking forward to your safe return... hope the rifles make it also. I don't think I'd want crs mad at me! :mrgreen:

Although it sounds like the trip from hades... I get the feeling you found out a lot about the bullets and loads you took; you certainly got in a lot of hunting. A working vacation by any standard, is still "working"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great Stories Joe!!

Sounds like a great time even with the abuse!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

mmm ? Joe, what was that about "hoping" my rifle was OK? Probably just another joke, right?
I thought you were to carry it taken down on the plane with you in your luggage. :o

Oh, well, the important thing is no one was run over or stepped on by a big-nasty.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,

This REAL TIME/REAL WORLD information you are giving us is so darn useful I cannot thank you enough.Thank you for all your hard work you are doing for our benefit.
Prayers have been sent for your very safest return.
Now try and just chill and have a great time!
Thanks and take care. :wink:

PS.---crs, Thanks for all you do also.You guys are great!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Joe,
That was enough adventure for story telling for a long time to come, I'm still laughing at the picture in my mind of you standing on the guys porch and him handing you a pillow and blanket. I think I would of found out how good of wood my stock was made of by butt stroking the guy :D . All joking a side, that is great information on the bullets and what works and what doesn't. And a great opportunity to shoot some very impressive animals. The experience of seeing how they control game compared to us is priceless. These guys seemed to just consider it a day at the office when for us it would be a opportunity of a lifetime. They probably kill more animals in a week then some of us kill in a lifetime and are very effective at it. Glad you were able to accomplish your goals even if it was at a tough price to pay.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Paco had pictures of 5 cast bullets in his book that were retrieved from bears - wide variation in the appearance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Old savage;
I suspect that the performance of the Kodiak 450 gr FN-FMJ would be great on a big grizzly or brown bear, just not so good on an elephant head!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I cannot thank you enough for all of the information, insights, performance data, and pictures.

Well done!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BenT wrote:I don't think Joe is using your typical hunting excursions.
From what I gather you are correct. These guys are professional pest controllers (granted, big, mean, nasty and dangerous pests) NOT PH's and they were assigned a "third wheel" to keep track of.

Not that Joe is a third wheel or anything... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at