Favorite Powder Measure???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite Powder Measure???

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, I might get a powder measure. Weighing out each one is kinda slow (although I may still weigh each one, but if I don't have to trickle, it will save me some time).

What are your favorite powder measures?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Favorite Powder Measure???

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't discount the usefulness of the good old 'scoop' - a set of dippers gives you a starting point, and some reloaders just buy several sets, then for any given load, take the proper dipper (or file down the top of the next higher one to get an exact fit) and label it with the powder and load. Since 'setup' time is basically just a matter of opening the drawer and picking out the proper dipper as labeled, then pouring some powder into a small bowl, they actually are FASTER for me if I'm reloading only a couple hundred rounds. I know you can do the same 'one measure per load' thing with the bench-mounted or press-mounted ones, but at twenty times the cost, and there is still some setup time.

Just my thoughts FWIW.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I use a Lyman DPS 1200. Figured I invested in it, so I might as well use it! This is not the fastest way to measure and throw a charge, but it is extremely accurate, and I don't like to reload too fast - introduces opportunities for errors that can be bad on me and my guns! :shock: I typically load 50 rounds, placing them in a loading block, then visually inspect them all to make sure the charges seem even. Finish off the 50 and start on the next set.

If I am not overly worried about the charge being super precise, I use a Lee Auto Disk measure. Good enough for plinking and general shooting. Much faster, but I still do the 50 rounds in a loading block for safety. Doesn't really slow me down, and having seen the results of a double-charged case (.45 ACP in a once-beautiful Colt 1911 Commander) that almost took out a friend of mine's eye, I decided to become extra careful! :shock:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I use an RCBS now, and can't say anything bad about it. It's been doing fine for close to 20 years. I've also use the LEE and would definitely recommend that you avoid it.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Lee dippers are great if you're making the same load time after time but it's hard to "tweak" and experiment. I use them a lot for pistol and plinking loads that
I make a lot of.

I have an old Hollywood gunshop measure with a micrometer adjustment that is great but hard to find.

Mostly use an RCBS Chargemaster power measure and scale. I've found it to be
very accurate and consistant, though a little slow with charges less than 4-5 grains.

The Dillon mesure on my RL550 is also a nice piece of equipment but kinda a pain to adjust but once there it drops very consistant loads.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I, too, am a big fan of the Lee dippers. I use them for probably 90% of alll my loading, and with good technique it's amazing how fast and accurate they can be. When I need a mechanical measure, though, I have my old, reliable RCBS.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

REDDING HUNTER MASTER MEASURES ARE SUPERB. GET BOTH THROATS.
RCBS UNIFLOW MEASURES WORK GREAT. GET BOTH THROATS.
THE BELDING&MULL IS UNEXCELLED FOR WHAT IT DOES.
THE LYMAN 55 IS THE ORIGINAL STYLE ADJUSTABLE POWDER MEASURE OF THE "MODERN" ERA.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I used to use the Lee dippers for: into the scale pan then trickling up to weight. This is a great way to do it for not much in investment but is much slower that a settable measure. Don't use them much anymore as the measures are usually very accurate after being set. I use a Redding, an RCBS, and the Lee auto (now with the upgrade to the adjustable powder drop, love it for pistol, get the deluxe upgrade if you haven't already).

All are very accurate (less than .1gr variation) when used properly and with the right powders. If I were starting over, I'd get the Lee first for pistol, then the Redding (love the micrometer adjustment and it even does extruded powders very accurately). The RCBS is a good measure too but is slower to get set.

Too right Terry, get both cylinders. I bought my Redding used and only have the larger one for it. I have both for the RCBS and that's probably the only reason I haven't taken it off my bench.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is true that the micrometer adjustments sure seem useful, regardless of measure type. Makes adjustment easier, faster, and gives you a precise 'setting' of some sort to use later when trying to re-create a load.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The Lee Perfect powder measure I have will out preform the RCBS and the Lyman measures time and again in head to head uniformity tests, large or small charges, and the thing works wonderfully well with 3f black for pistol charges.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The biggest problem I had with the Lee was it would leak something fierce with fine grained powder like 296. That and their was just too much plastic in it that was scoring and wearing. Maybe they have improved them since the one I had, but you couldn't give me another one like that.
NRA Life Member
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

For white powder (AKA smokeless/nitro), I utilize an older Belding & Mull "Visible Powder Measure" & the micrometer powder tube that doesn't let me down. Even meters the course powders such as SR4759 accurately.

For black powder, I reach for the Montana Vintage Arms (MVA) "Visible Powder Measure" & micrometer powder tube, which is an updated version of the of old Belding & Mull design. It will drop accurate charges of Fg.
www.montanavintagearms.com/reloading.html

For those not familiar w/ MVA, they make very fine black powder cartridge rifle era sights & 'scopes:
www.montanavintagearms.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ted I've had my LP since way back in the 90's when they first came out. Have never had an issue with the powder leakage or the scoring I've since heard about on the Inet.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

You might want to check out the PACT electronic measure and powder scale. I think its the same as the Lyman models. I can easily measure out and seat 100 rounds of rifle ammo inside of an hour using this setup. I'll never look back at the manual method again. Accuracy is excellent, staying within 2 tenths of a grain of the desired amount of powder. As long as I'm careful about breezes, make sure the scale is properly calibrated, and I avoid bumping the load bench, I can get even more consistent loads. At any rate, I'm not shooting benchrest competitions so I don't notice the variations in my loads at all. Certainly the dead deer and pigs didn't notice that .2 grain swing.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Depending on the powder I either use a RCBS Uniflow or my PACT for rifle. Alot of my pistol I use a Lee auto disk set up on the dies. Using the Lee with my Hornady progressive press I can put out alot of ammo in a short time.
Ricky

DWWC
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm exceedingly happy with my Hornady measure. Very accurate for me and never a problem.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm not that experienced of a loader, but I can duplicate the (weighed) results of a Lee Perfect Measure with the set of Lee Powder Dippers......I don't shoot paper or try for the smallest possible groups, but my loads will hit minute of whatever I'm trying to shoot at (pop cans, used shotgun shells, fierce white rocks and what have you :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have 2 RCBS Uniflow measures (one large drum, one small drum), an RCBS electronic measure/scale, a Lyman 55 with the tall aluminum reservoir designed for black powder, and a standard Lyman 55. I also find occasional use for my set of Lee dippers.
My favorite is the RCBS Uniflow. Very quick and easy to adjust and very consistent. The RCBS electronic measure is super accurate, but not particularly fast. When loading several hundred cases I use the electronic measure and at the same time use my RCBS Uniflow along with a PACT electronic scale. I can throw a charge with the Uniflow and trickle it to exact weight slightly quicker than the electronic measure does it.
For fine powders that meter so evenly that weighing each charge is not necessary, I often use the standard Lyman 55 measure handheld as it is quicker for me than maneuvering a loading block full of primed cases under the RCBS Uniflow mounted on a stand on my bench.
If you intend to get just one measure and load only smokeless powder, I would go with the RCBS Uniflow with both large & small drums.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well, I've got or used just about all the measures mentioned so far.. Love the Lee Perfect PM. But the one I'm loving most is the Lyman DPS 1200 II..My sequence goes something like this...Staring with a weighed charge in the powder pan, I pick up a resized & primed case, set it in the shell holder under a Lee powder thru the the die flaring tool, run the case up & charge the case, replace the powder pan, restart the measure for next sequence, hand advance the turret, seat & crimp a bullet, hand return the turret to flare position, remove the completed cartridge, all in about the time it takes to drop 15 gr W296 for my .30 carbine +/- a couple of seconds. When I'm really cooking I might have to wait for the beeper to get done beeping. The thing can't be beat IMO for stick powders..Even the Lee PPM comes in second to it for stick powders...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have both the RCBS and Redding #3 . The redding has gotten the most use the last couple years and stays set up on my reloading bench.
Neither are good for very small charges of large flake powders and I need to get a pistol cylinder for the #3.