winchester 1886 45-70 conversion to 50 cal. questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike8623
Levergunner

Re: winchester 1886 45-70 conversion to 50 cal. questions

Post by Mike8623 »

Just wanted to let folks know, got my rifle all built and just shooting the dickens out of it.......really like it a lot........kinda put together a leather kick pad so it doesn't destroy my shoulder, conforming to the contour of the original butt, and am in the process of working up some 500+ grain loads..........I've tried all sort of higher grain bullets (600+) and they just tumbled on me........so far the 455 grainers from montana bullet works are working the best for me....., anyway I am having a good time..........although I do have a young Grizzly that has been roaming kinda close to my place.........saw him once right out my door at 200 yards....I sure hope he keeps his distance.

Still haven't been able to figure out that Greenhill formula........with my 1/26 twist it seems that my rifle would shoot those heavier bullets just fine........but no go......anyway guys I'm plugging away at it and having a good time.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

One of the GREATEST SINS YOU CAN POSSIBLY COMMIT HERE IS NOT POSTING PICTURES OF THIS RIFLE. sorry to holler, but we really want to SEE this work of art. Please. :) .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, a belated WELCOME to the board! And yes, please do post pics! Video links are also welcome :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Well I wouldn't exactly call it a work of art, but it sure works for me. I'm way up on a mountain top in Montana and will be....... until the middle of next month........Don't have a digital camera here so when I get back I post a picure or two......in the mean time I'll post a picture of that Grizzly taken a few years back when he was little...he's a lot bigger now and collared........

OK, found this years picture......will see if it loads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Mike8623 wrote:Hey guys, new here, but have a couple of questions. I have a old Winchester 1886 parts gun in 45-70, 22 inch barrel, shoots good, I can put all my rounds in a 18 inch circle at 300 yards with a 405 g. bullet and with open sights ...
First, welcome to the fire. Pull up a stump, grab a cup of jo, and join in the jawin'. Now, as to your 300yd shooting, I agree that an 18" group at 300yds with open sights is impressive. That's a far piece to shoot and you've got your 45-70 doing well no matter what anyone tells ya.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mike8623
Levergunner

50-110 pictures

Post by Mike8623 »

OK Guys finally got back and I will attempt to post the pics of the 1886 50-110 I did. also included is the one I am working on now.....Both of these were put together from parts I scrounged and were not complete rifles when I got them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I am a noob here but I have taken a different path. I am going to purchase a brand new 1886 reissue (so to speak) and a barrel from Green Mountain chambered in 50-110 Express, pack it up to a gunsmith and have the conversion done. Total cost with new rifle,barrel and conversion fee= $ 2,000.00. A small price to pay for a brand new express rifle.
Rick
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

plstktnkr2 wrote:I am going to purchase a brand new 1886 reissue (so to speak) and a barrel from Green Mountain chambered in 50-110 Express, pack it up to a gunsmith and have the conversion done.
I'd suggest a shotgun butt version if you can find it. Easier on the shoulder than the traditional rifle butt under heavy recoil. Sounds like a plan though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, I apparently missed this post the first time around. Cool that Mike8623 got his rifle made up.

plstktnkr2, Welcome to the forum and let us know when you get'er done. Post us a pic or two.
Old Law Dawg
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I am going with a shotgun butt, and full magazine tube. When it is done I will post pics as soon as the big butt grin wears off lol

One quick question: is it inadvisable to have curley maple stocks on a powerful gun such as this? Reason being I like the look of the 1874 Sharps "Old West Maple" on the cover of "GUNS OF THE OLD WEST" /Winter 2012 issue. Just musings for next winter.
Rick
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Well guys got my other 1886 completed, the way my boy wanted it......keep in mind it isfrom parts (a parts gun) and different from what you have seen in the past, but my boy had been wanting a scout rifle...so I guess he has one now. It has a 18.5 barrel in 50-110 with a xs scout mount and in Duracoat amstripe. I'm still waiting for the burris fastfire relfex to put on it, anyway thought I'd show you folks.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I like the rail. That FastFire should be great on there.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome to the camp. At one time I had a 50-110 that had an original Winchester 50 barrel on a 71 Browning. It was very well put together, by who I don't know, but that original barrel had a very slow twist rate so that I could only load about a 300 grain bullet. Ended up trading it for a 73 and some $$. If you go with a new barrel you can probably specify a fast enough twist to stabilize a little more bullet.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That certainly is different!!
Sure is a nice scout rifle for your boy though :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Once again we find another 'tinkerer' who makes up his rifle the way He wants, not necessarily the way the makers wanted. I for one salute your industry and gumption to see both projects through to the end. Also, I'm glad they are working well for ya. I can't believe the number of members here who make their own stuff, this site is wonderful!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Nice job on those. Nice barrel on the first, love the half oct/half round. Very unique look on that second rifle.

Kevin
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That tiger stripe reminds me of Vietnam. Something you'd see a special forces guy packin. :D
Old Law Dawg
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

I have finally recieved my model '86 and I am getting the parts together to do my conversion. Can anybody help me with case/case measurements 45/70/50-110? I also need to find out how to aquire a full mag tube, mag tube mount and proper sight for an octagonal barrel.

ps. what is the size/ thread of the "made in japan" model '86 reciever?
Rick

And we are off, lol
Last edited by plstktnkr2 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I'm a big bore fan and appreciate any rifle caliber that starts with .50! 50-110 is an excellent cartridge that can be loaded to just about any task you could ask of it. Good shooting with it!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:Once again we find another 'tinkerer' who makes up his rifle the way He wants, not necessarily the way the makers wanted. I for one salute your industry and gumption to see both projects through to the end. Also, I'm glad they are working well for ya. I can't believe the number of members here who make their own stuff, this site is wonderful!!
+1 8)

That end-result looks like a 'serious' gun - my favorite kind:
  • 'Traditional' gun - nothing much added or modified, unless everyone else has done the same.

'TactiKool' gun - lots of adds/mods, but the same ones everyone else does, and not actually practical, even for its creator, other than to look 'kool'.

'Serious' gun - nothing just for looks or frills, but may have lots of traditional OR non-traditional adds/mods, enabling it to perform exceptionally well for its creator. Some guns (like a 1911, or Garand) are pretty much 'serious' without any modifications needed.
Most of my guns are 'traditional', and a few have evolved into 'serious' ones, and once in awhile I make up a 'tactikool' one (usually out of a toy gun, though).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

Mike8623 wrote:Just wanted to let folks know, got my rifle all built and just shooting the dickens out of it.......really like it a lot........kinda put together a leather kick pad so it doesn't destroy my shoulder, conforming to the contour of the original butt, and am in the process of working up some 500+ grain loads..........I've tried all sort of higher grain bullets (600+) and they just tumbled on me........so far the 455 grainers from montana bullet works are working the best for me....., anyway I am having a good time..........although I do have a young Grizzly that has been roaming kinda close to my place.........saw him once right out my door at 200 yards....I sure hope he keeps his distance.

Still haven't been able to figure out that Greenhill formula........with my 1/26 twist it seems that my rifle would shoot those heavier bullets just fine........but no go......anyway guys I'm plugging away at it and having a good time.
Am I mis-informed or does a fast twist do better with lighter bullets and slower twist with heavier???