Mossberg 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Mossberg 30-30

Post by RustyJr »

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with Mossberg's copy of a mdl94 winchester. They dont look too bad but was wondering about the quality and durbility of it. Any information would be appreiated.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 30-30

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey RustyJr.

The Mossberg 464 30-30 has been discussed quite a bit. Here is a link to one of the threads:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ssberg+464

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Thanks Bogie

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

You're welcome my friend.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

There has been so many problems with mine, I have concerns about the safety of even shooting it, the quality has been so bad. If other parts have failed - like the extractor with the first shot - how can we rely on the structural integrity of the mechanism that locks the bolt in place for firing - which could be very serious if it failed and blew up in the shooter's face?

The number of failures that have been reported with so few shots fired leads one to wonder if there was any test firing at all by the factory.

I now have, for the first time in my life with guns - about 77 years - a gun I wouldn't sell or even give it away because of those concerns. Mossberg is well aware of the problems but - when the customer has problems - the cost of sending it to the repair facility - which is half way across the country from the factory where it is produced - which cost is put on the customer. When the extractor failed before I had even finished firing one six round magazine full, I had to pay the cost of the shipping and wait a month for my rifle to come back.

Then, when I started loading it and hadn't fired a single shot, the screw holding the fore end broke releasing the forend. None of local gunsmiths had a screw that would work and Mossberg wanted me to ship it back to the repair facility again - at my expense naturally - but I finally convinced them I had a screwdriver so they sent me the screw and I replaced it but, I haven't fired it, feeling there probably are other problems with the gun and might be problems with the safety of shooting the gun.

Mossberg apparently doesn't care - I found out by looking back at Gun Digests - that Mossberg produced about a half dozen lever guns in 30-30 - in the 1980s - but none of them are on the market now so must not have met with much success. I think they are relying on buyer's short memory and have no conscience about the new one having so many problems.

Again, with all the other problems, is the gun really safe to shoot?? Mossberg hasn't shown any concern there and, with other products that failed like this has, the product would have been recalled and fixed at the expense of the manufacturer and either made right or refunded the money to the owner.

:evil:
Last edited by OJ on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

OJ - Just what are the problems that make your rifle unsafe?

Mossberg fixed your extractor and sent you a screw. What else is wrong with the rifle?
ED
Yer never too old
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would recommend anyone interested in a Mossberg lever to go to the archives and read all the posts by OJ on his problems with the rifle. I read 'em and I don't think I'll buy a Mossberg 30-30.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Modoc ED wrote:OJ - Just what are the problems that make your rifle unsafe?

Mossberg fixed your extractor and sent you a screw. What else is wrong with the rifle?
That sounds a little like, "Aside from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?" to me. :)

Well, I think I've made it quite clear that gun parts failed and I haven't even gone through one box of twenty rounds - suggesting to me they didn't do any test shooting before they put the 464 on the market.

With that kind of experience with the worst quality control, I am concerned the next failure could be something like a failure of the locking mechanism of the action and bolt locking it in place - a failure of that could inflict serious injury to the shooter - or failure of some other part that would injure the shooter.

Plus that, it appears that Mossberg has to be well informed about the failures of parts since there have been so many and Mossberg is ignoring the facts. That is despicable for a manufacturer of things like rifles. I'm not in favor of too much government control but, there should be some standard requiring testing rifles to test their safety before they are put on the market. Mossberg is delegating that to the customers and is ignoring the results.

I see I've been so bent out of shape with the 464, I've been ignoring reporting the latest malfunction - I did load the magazine intending to take it to the range and shoot it. After thinking about possible safety aspects (or lack thereeof), I tried to unload it and the mechanism wouldn't load so I could unload it the standard way - I had to remove the plug the front end of the magazine to remove the six rounds I had loaded.

That did it for me :!:

:evil:
Last edited by OJ on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Something along the lines of the proof houses in Europe and the UK??

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

J Miller wrote:Something along the lines of the proof houses in Europe and the UK??

Joe
Heaven forefend...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Mossberg's '94 'copy' seems to be faring about as well as their Marlin 336 clone, which was a complete disastrophe...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, but even the less-than-pristine Winchester 94's & Marlin 336's I've seen available F/S and/or have bought, all have worked perfectly to my satisfaction - safely.

With all of the pristine Winchesters/Marlins that are out there, IMHO the Mossberg is an answer to an un-needed question.