40 Caliber Volcanic Rifle,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 40 Caliber Volcanic Rifle,

Post by Charlie »

This is the rear view of the Cartridge Elevator.

This is the front view.

This thing rides up and down in that square hole we morticed earlier on.
Last edited by Charlie on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Wow, that is REALLY cool. Can't wait to see the finished product. Love to see how you make the stock.
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

Charlie wrote:Here she is starting to look like a Rifle. I have already shot it as it is.

I will not conture the Action or Lever untill I get the Butt Stock made and installed.

Charlie, I can't tell you how impressed I am with this project of yours, I can't wait to see the finished product, and especially see how she shoots. Thank you for sharing this awesome project with us. I have been a decent woodworker and amateur gunsmith but this project just blows me away!
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Alan Wood, I am a guest here and I don't feel good advertising other websites.
You would have to shell out some money to see "Projects" over there anyway.

Warhawk, thanks for such a nice compliment.

texasguy, all is explaned in the first part of this thread.

44magHunter, thank you, keep comming back, it's gonna happen, if it's the - Lord's Will - and the creek don't rise.

Halfbreed, thank you, Guys like you encourage me, and makes it fun for me to post here.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

As I and others have said, this is a great great treat....Fun fun fun to watch your build Charlie...Looking at the many intricacies of the various components is fascinating...Maybe it’s been obvious to everyone else, but it has hit me that your build has parallels to that of Benjamin Tyler Henry developing his rifle.. Where he developed a cartridge and improved the Volcanic mechanism to handle a more powerful fixed ammunition in a larger frame... You too have made an improved stronger mechanism to go with a new round you developed, but to stay within the bounds of the beautiful Volcanic frame... Just as Henry must have...I imagine your similar thoughts and tinkering with your mechanism to get it to feed and extract. This makes me think back to the times, the men, and available tools at hand when the Volcanics were made...Things like, what it must have been like to work in a water powered machine shop, the grade of lathe and milling cutter steels, cutting lubricants etc...Things have improved since then, but I read somewhere once, that about the only thing modern industry did for machines, was to strap an electric motor on them.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Ben, that was very insightful of you. I am happy you find this build fascinating.

When Henry built his rifle, he was not constrained with out side dimensions like I am, so in this respect, my Rifle is more difficult than his.
Although my Rifle is more difficult than his, I do have several advantages such as much better materials. Much better cutting tools (carbide) and I am more able to calculate stresses than he was. Also, the basic design is already done.
Actually, the most credit should go to Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson, it is their clever and unique design that we improved on.

You are very right Ben, this is a lot of fun for me, and in many ways, I am just as much of a pioneer as they were. I too have some clever features within this envelope.

Once again, I enjoy having you Guys with me on this adventure.

Charlie
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Charlie, I'm so impressed. To be able to take an idea and actually make it a reality is simply awesome. I only wish I had the skills to do what you've done. Your work is first class. Can't wait to see it all together. Quite an accomplishment. Good on ya.
Old Law Dawg
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Thanks Law Dawg.

I'm on vacation over the Holidays, didn't go anywhere, staying home and working on this Rifle, having all kinds of fun.

Got that Extractor made, here she is, installed on the Bolt and hooked over the rim of a Cartridge. Notice that Cartridge is sticking out the breech .150 thousants, I did it like this so my short bolt travel would completely extract the Cartridge.

Last edited by Charlie on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here is a side view showing that Lever Spring very clearly.

Here she is Opened up. Notice that Lever Spring is now flexed nicely. Also notice that Lifter arm has picked up the Cartridge Elevator, and the Hammer is cocked.

Here is the right hand side showing the Lifter Spring, it is different than the Lever Spring in that it has a bead across the front which holds the Lifter up or down, what ever the condition requires.

Here is the Lifter. Notice those 2 notches on the top, this is so the Lifter Spring will either hold it up, or down, while the Lever is doing it's thing. That is a 1/4" ball on the end of the arm. This Lifter is made from O-1 Tool Steel and hardened.

Here's the Lever showing how the Lifter fits in.

Last edited by Charlie on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Mechanically, this Rifle is finished.
It will Shuffle, Shoot, and Shuck, like any self respecting Lever Gun.

The next thing I will do is mill the sides for the Side Plates, then I will make and fit the Side Plates. The next thing after that is the Butt Plate, then I will fit up the stock. Conturing and radiusing all those square corners, finishes up the Rifle. The only thing left after that is a rear sight and Blueing it.

I should be finish in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
Last edited by Charlie on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Looks great Charlie... How will the side plates be attached to the frame?...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW !! What can I say??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Youve given enough pictures that a determined fellow could build that same gun. I note that I do not know what ejects the spent cartridge after pulled out by the extractor..And I dont know what else might trip up a clever fellow.. I AINT gonna try to build one of'em , you'all might laugh at me :D but i am just saying- Those are some good pictures Charlie. And you got some serious skills my friend....
m48shooter
Levergunner

Post by m48shooter »

bravo zulu to u sir.... u inspire and inform, the two things need to transform information into knowledge. i can not wait to see this project completed..
A human being should be able to change a diaper,plan an invasion,butcher a hog,conn a ship,write a sonnet,balance accounts,build a wall,comfort the dying,take orders,give orders,cooperate,act alone,solve equations,pitch manure,program a computer,cook a tasty meal,fight efficiently,die gallantly.Specialization is for insects.
RH
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Youve given enough pictures that a determined fellow could build that same gun. I note that I do not know what ejects the spent cartridge after pulled out by the extractor..And I dont know what else might trip up a clever fellow.. I AINT gonna try to build one of'em , you'all might laugh at me :D but i am just saying- Those are some good pictures Charlie. And you got some serious skills my friend....
Shucking the spent shell.
Go back and notice the Bolt has recesses cut on both sides of the nose. Notice the Cartridge Elevator has 2 vertical bosses left in the trough.
She works like this;
When the Bolt is withdrawn, extracting the Cartridge, at the very last part of the Lever throw, the Cartridge Elevator comes up from underneath, these 2 bosses kick the Shell out of the action. There is a fresh Cartridge laying in the bottom of the Cartridge Elevator. The Elevator Spring will hold the Cartridge Elevator in it's top position. When the Lever is brought home, the Bolt goes forward pushing the new Cartridge in the chamber. Toward the end of the lever throw, The Bolt is forward and the Toggle Links are going over center, at the very last part lof the Lever travel, the Lifter Arm pulls the Cartridge Elevator down. Those 2 bossed come down through the 2 recesses cut on the sides of the Bolt Nose. Here, the Cartridge Elevator accepts another Cartridge, and the Rifle is Locked, Loaded, and Cocked, ready to fire.

Here she is, Shucking a Cartridge.

It's a beautiful syphony of motion. Thank you Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson, you have made our lives richer.

For those who don't know, Alphawolf has built more Rifles than I have. I am impressed at the difficulty of some of the projects he has tackled. This Fellow has no fear.
Last edited by Charlie on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Charlie, it has been many years since I had a chance to play with a toggle link rifle. Way back when I traded into a beat up wreck of a Model 73. I notice that your toggle pins are much more robust than the '73. Even more robust than my 'smith made them when he tightened up the action by reaming the holes and fitting new pins. What other differences are there between your Volcanic and the 73? Will the Volcanic have a "dust cover" like the '73 did? (I suspect not) Maybe I'll get inspired to get back to work on my CVA Kentucky. NO WHERE NEAR the class of what you're doing, but there's something about fitting wood to metal that stirs us. Thanks for sharing this build with us. It is great to see we still have men amongst us who can build a weapon from scratch.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

AmBraCol wrote:Charlie, it has been many years since I had a chance to play with a toggle link rifle. Way back when I traded into a beat up wreck of a Model 73. I notice that your toggle pins are much more robust than the '73. Even more robust than my 'smith made them when he tightened up the action by reaming the holes and fitting new pins. What other differences are there between your Volcanic and the 73? Will the Volcanic have a "dust cover" like the '73 did? (I suspect not) Maybe I'll get inspired to get back to work on my CVA Kentucky. NO WHERE NEAR the class of what you're doing, but there's something about fitting wood to metal that stirs us. Thanks for sharing this build with us. It is great to see we still have men amongst us who can build a weapon from scratch.
No dust cover.
This Volcanic will be almost exactly like the "Henry", except not as large. When you see a "Henry" you see an enlarged "Volocanic".
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This is great stuff! Love it!!

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Looks like youll be done pretty soon. Very nice work.

For those of us not familiar with the 73's and 76's is the dust cover that has been mentioned on them for the ejection port?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Alan Wood wrote:Looks like youll be done pretty soon. Very nice work.

For those of us not familiar with the 73's and 76's is the dust cover that has been mentioned on them for the ejection port?
The dust cover on the '73 was a piece that slid back and forth on a dovetail on the top of the receiver. This piece didn't really effect the proper functioning of the weapon and I've seen several that were missing this piece and still serviceable. Basically it's to keep "stuff" from falling into the top of the receiver and tying up the gun.

I've never seen a Henry except in pictures so don't have much to go on there.

Anyway, thanks for the pics, Charlie. I, too, am looking forward to seeing how you stock it.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here I'm cutting the recesses for the Side Plates. Those dove tails are 12.5º, this duplicated the original Volcanic's and the Henry.

Here i'm useing .125 Dia Rods to measure the Dovetails.

The recesses are finished. The next thing will be the Side Plates.

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

I used the same cutter that I used to cut the recesses, to cut the ends of the Side Plates. That way the angles would be identical.
My Side Plates are 2.312 long, I read where the original Volcanic's were 2.4 long.
These Side Plates want to be about 1 to 2 tenth's of a thousants larger than the recesses, making for a light press fit.
Use both thumbs to push the plates in and out.
I got lucky and did a good job here on the fit.

Here is the right hand Side Plate installed.

The left hand Side Plate.

From here, I go for the Butt Plate.

I got um by the tail on a down hill drag now!
Last edited by Charlie on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

As usuall very nicely done! I'm suprised that the side plates need to be that much larger.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

"Lucky on the fit" :wink: Those things fit like socks on a Rooster...Charlie, did I miss something, What is holding the tangs into the frame?
WIL TERRY
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Alan Wood wrote:As usuall very nicely done! I'm suprised that the side plates need to be that much larger.

.0001 to .0002, Count dem decimels, that an't much metal.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Ben_Rumson wrote:"Lucky on the fit" :wink: Those things fit like socks on a Rooster...Charlie, did I miss something, What is holding the tangs into the frame?
Yeah, I need to go back and explane that. give me a little time to get some pictures and I'll get back to ye.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Charlie wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:As usuall very nicely done! I'm suprised that the side plates need to be that much larger.

.0001 to .0002, Count dem decimels, that an't much metal.

Oh ten thousandths. I was reading tenths! My mistake!
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Keep the project going! I love your work. It is truely amazing. Thanks for sharing again. 8) :D
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
m48shooter
Levergunner

Post by m48shooter »

i love watching this beauty grow charlie... it makes amuater gun monkeys like myself get movtivated again... but then again my ak almost got tossed down the driveway a few times during the build... it frustrates when 12 year old somilis can build a gross in a day... but then the challenge was to use nothing more advanced than a five pound sledge and large bench vice... untill u shear ur front trunnion rivits re-installing the bbl.... grins... i have found that metal has almost as much allure as wood and leather... the sickness grows... thtx u again for the detailed photos and write-up... u truly are an artist at work..
A human being should be able to change a diaper,plan an invasion,butcher a hog,conn a ship,write a sonnet,balance accounts,build a wall,comfort the dying,take orders,give orders,cooperate,act alone,solve equations,pitch manure,program a computer,cook a tasty meal,fight efficiently,die gallantly.Specialization is for insects.
RH
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

A little break from the Volcanic.

This was my previous project. It's a 40 S+W, single shot Boot Pistol. I made everything you see here, I even Rifled the barrel. I can hit a Tennis Ball at 20 yards with it, (off the sand bags).

Ron Smith is the engraver.

Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

WOW, thats a work of art
when your enemy is within range so are you
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Twist barrel to load/unload? Beautiful piece there.
Paul - in Pereira

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

That rifle project is amazing, glad I wasnt around to get it piecemeal, with my impatience I dont think I could have waited between posts for the updates.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

AmBraCol wrote:Twist barrel to load/unload? Beautiful piece there.
You got it Man.
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Charlie wrote:A little break from the Volcanic.

This was my previous project. It's a 40 S+W, single shot Boot Pistol. I made everything you see here, I even Rifled the barrel. I can hit a Tennis Ball at 20 yards with it, (off the sand bags).

Ron Smith is the engraver.

Wow. That is pretty neat. About what would the power of that round amount to? (compared to any modern-day cartridges.) :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

44magHunter wrote:Wow. That is pretty neat. About what would the power of that round amount to? (compared to any modern-day cartridges.) :D
Uh - that'd be about equivalent of a 38-40. If I understand Charles' post rightly, it's chambered in 40 S&W (40 Short and Weak) ;-) Now I'm curious as to the process by which IT was built. And how it functions. And is it a copy of an antique, or is it an original design?
Paul - in Pereira

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

This baby is chambered for the (40 Smith and Wesson), a modern cartridge.

It is my own desigh (as most of the stuff I do).

There is a (very detailed) build thread on another website, ( 24 pages ), including how I rifled the Barrel.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... =3;t=21189

You will have to pay a subscription fee to see it though.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

WOW,this is really unbelievable. I am in awe. Thanks Again for the pictures.
:D :D :D :D :D .
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

Both projects are awesome. Did you do the engraving? Are you planning to engrave the Volcanic? Thanks again for sharing this build.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Here I have the "Volcanic" Butt Plate profiled out. There is a lot of work yet to be done on this baby, but we got a good start.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looking good Charlie.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

About that Butt Plate, this is a project in it's self. Here I have made a fixture to grind the elipitical cross section (looking at em from the back)

Notice that eliptical base plate. This is to become my guide while I grind away the corners.

I hope to show you Guys a beautiful Butt Plate in a fews days. and then, it's on to the wood.

How about my Buddy Alphawolf, beautiful stuff he does, and that Color Case Hardening is mighty good, - yes.
Last edited by Charlie on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Over on Alphawolf's thread, he ask me to link these video's for you Guys to see my Volcanic in action.

Many of you have already seen this, but some of the new commers haven't, so enjoy.

Let's see if this will work. This is me loading.

Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

well, it worked !

Shuffle, Shooting, and Shucking.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Taht is really great, thanks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

OK, we almost there. The only thing left is to mill a partial octogon on the top and conture the back.

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

You simply do not disapoint us do you. Every challenge is met and conquerered! Very well done indeed!
I wish I could do that!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Very, very nice work.

Not to minimize Charlie's work...he is a very talented machinst. But we are quick to forget that our school systems are ill equiped to replace the talent we will be loosing en mass the next few years.

Not to many years ago, all of us had the chance to learn the math and some of the basic machine skills that Charlie has expanded on with his years of experience.
Your kids and grandkids do not have the blessings of a basic education extended to them today.

We teach math as an abstraction of theoretical concepts...ask your kid to balance a check book or figure the price of a set of tires (by mental estimation- in their head) and watch what happens.
We pat our School Board on the head if the "3%" who can learn Calculus get into college... while 97% cannot make change from a till, communicate the written word correctly.

Ask your kid to read a ruler. After all, they have been doing "workbooks" for years-- with the answers on the page, as a mulitple choice test. I remember learning how to read a vernier caliper as part of math and science classes... then refining those skills in a school shop's "hands- on enviorment". You can't get the average kid to learn this stuff unless they are exceptionally motivated to do so.

The really sad part is when my kids justify what they do not know... after all they "did" what was asked of them after all.

That makes it very hard to get motivated to excel in the real world. We live in a world of sudden gratification and instant rewards given in public schools today- simply for "breathing in and out".
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

Finished.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Very nice, Charlie! Thank you, for sharing with us.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage