winchester 1892 clones

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

winchester 1892 clones

Post by thornblom »

Gentlemen,
Of all the Winchester 1892 clones on the market, which one is the best, most accurate and the most precise replica of the original? I am looking for a good replica of the 1892 saddle ring carbine chambered in .44-40 WCF. Is such an animal available?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
gglass
Levergunner

Re: winchester 1892 clones

Post by gglass »

You cannot go wrong with the Rossi 1892 replicas. When Winchester left the 1892 market in 1941, Rossi and a couple other manufacturers stepped in to build quality rifles to fill the market void. Rossi has been building 1892's for a very long time, and they know what they are doing. Rossi does make a .44-40 M92 Puma. Buds Guns Link: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/55751

I own two Rossi M92 Pumas chambered in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum. both rifles are more accurate than I am by a long shot.

This is my best 10-shot group at 50-yards. I was indeed aiming at the "Hollywood heart" on this silhouette target in honor of the Clint Eastwood movie, "A Fistful of Dollars".

"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I really like my Browning.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Of course, if you just haveta have "Winchester" stamped on that .44-40, Winchester just issued an 1892 takedown made for them by Miroku.

Pretty slick.

thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

I just looked on Cimarron's site and they make a 92 saddle ring carbine with the correct ladder sight, but dang, it was almost $1,000. Looks good , but dang.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[but dang, it was almost $1,000. Looks good , but dang.]

You better have some TP handy, when you find out how much blood the Winchester's gonna cost ya ! ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Hey gglass,

That is some good shooting. Off hand open sights, or bench rest scope?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I am a happy 30 year Rossi owner (all pre safety Interarms and EMFs), and the excellent Browning B92s as well. That said, save for a very few years of Navy Arms Rossis sporting supposedly genuine walnut (and in limited calibers, 44-40s only a few years), the current Armi Sport/Chiappa 1892s (distributed by Taylors, Cimarron and of late Legacy (LSI)) is the most accurate repro of the 92--at least cosmetically--made since the Win in 1941. This, meaning the correct (or close) combo of walnut, ladder sight that most pre appx 1930 SRCs sported, front post sight, and saddle ring. I'm not so sure about the color case hardened receiver, etc., versus any original production 92s I've ever seen which were plain that I know of, though a nice touch (you could just say customized or custom 92 then!)

The old (no safety) Brownings (Miroku-Japan) are excellent--and perhaps the best mechanically--but a) no 44-40 chambering, and b) no saddle ring on the standard models, though that could be added (I've been tempted but many would say would depreciate value). Only the (lesser in my mind) Centennial model had the ring. The recent year Browning-chesters all have a non-92-original tang safety and (that I know of) rebounding hammer...immediately kicks them out of contention for you, IMO.

Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones) indicated he had a few issues early on...small bits I gathered...with these Italian 92s, for which he had (actually Rossi parts) solutuions--at least for his purposes. I don't know if Armi Sport/Chiappa has rectified these items to his satisfaction. If not, bet they're working on it as they've solicited his advice to make their new 1886 "correct" out of the chute. I've seen some of the Italian 92s (SRCs) in the $850-900 range, and is the route I'd go for a "quick fix" for your search.

You could also put some nicer furniture on a pre safety (2006) EMF--from the likes of http://www.precisiongunstocks.com for about $200-250 (+ your finishing) which has Rossi 92 specific wood--and come close to the real article. The EMF's stock wood isn't bad, some better than other Rossis, but is still no walnut (or even gumwood, which many original Wins were as well). These EMFs have the more correct front post sights (location OFF the barrel band) and saddle rings as well, and nicer (semi-buckhorn) rear sights versus many Rossis such as LSI...but stil no ladder sight. If you want to be a*** about things, many of the post Interarms-era Rossis (EMFs etc) went to a thinner gauge for the saddle rings versus the originals, rectifiable with a more original ring. Very few if any Legacy ( LSI) Rossi 92s had rings, and again had cheaper sights than the EMF's...not to mention the dumb safety on all years of production (some 15 years) versus just post '06 for EMF.

Bottom line: suck it up on one of the Italians such as from Cimarron, or dress up a pre-safety EMF, and (after better wood) maybe save $150-200 over the Italians. Leave the wood alone and save $200-400. Still no ladder sight, but you'd be approximating a ca 1930-1941 SRC with those EMF semi-buckhorns. I don't know whether those EMF rear dovetails finally were standardized to the .375" Win--to fit a genuine ladder sight--after the odd non-std Tnterarms-era Rossi .390" or so. Nate?
Good luck.
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

thornblom wrote:Hey gglass,

That is some good shooting. Off hand open sights, or bench rest scope?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
I'm sorry... I should have been more clear. The 10-shot group was done with my M92 Puma .44 Magnum with the 2.5 X 32 Nikko Stirling scope, which is made for the rifle. This group was shot at 50-yards from the bench to determine the gun's accuracy... Not mine. (Those pics are not worth posting. :oops: )
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Thanks Gentlemen. Ya'll have been a great help.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The Chiappa made '92s are also available from Charles Daly but I'm not sure if in your caliber of choice. At any rate, they are a more detailed and closer reproduction to the original and they are finished to a much nicer standard than a Rossi but they may not necessarily shoot any better. It's been my experience that they also have smoother actions out of the box than the Rossis but one can have a Rossi slicked for not too many shekels.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright