25-35 Trapping Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bearhunter
Levergunner

25-35 Trapping Gun

Post by bearhunter »

Hello all! I'm new to this forum so don't beat me up to bad.

What are your thoughts on the 25-35? I'm looking to get a mint condition m94 Winchester in something other than 30-30 (I already have two). It won't be a deer gun, but I might take it out once in a while for deer. It'll be mostly used with light loaded cast bullets for a trappline gun.

Thanks.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 25-35 Trapping Gun

Post by Nath »

Howdy :)

never used one but why the hell not!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I RAN A TRAPLINE FOR YEARS AND NEVER EVER HAD ANY INKLING TO CARRY A RIFLE/CARBINE OF ANY STYLE, LENGTH, OR WEIGHT WITH ME. A 22 PISTOL SIDEARM DID ANY JOB I NEEDED DONE AND DID IT IN FINE STYLE. I CANNOT IMAGINE CARRYING ANYTHING LIKE EVEN A REALLY SHORT CARBINE WHILE OUT RUNNING MY TRAPLINES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I always used a 22 pistol while running a line but to the question at hand, the 25-35 is a great little rifle. I don't see why it wouldn't work fine.

I have a PB 85gr mould that I used to load quite a lot with light charges of Uniqe powder. Never knew the velocity but it sure was quite and very very accurate. Shot the heads off of many a grouse with that one.

Don't let anyone tell you it is too light for deer, I've taken many with my old 1939 model 64 and a max loaded 117gr Hornady and a RCBS 110gr bullet with no problems, or follow up shots even! My Uncle took at least 4 elk with my rifle that I know of before he gave it to me for my 14th birthday some 36 years ago but I've never used it on elk. I'll stick to my 44's and 38-55 for that :wink:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I would like a 25-35 for carrying for coyotes. But I never really found an affordable priced one. I'm a firm believer that if you don't have a firearm on you that's when you see coyotes. So I like to carry something when I'm in the woods.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a 1912 version SRC .... using the silvertip 117 grainers it drops Deer very well.

Just a nice cartridge to shoot... but it's hard to find and reloading is about the only way to go these days
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Terry Murbach wrote:I RAN A TRAPLINE FOR YEARS AND NEVER EVER HAD ANY INKLING TO CARRY A RIFLE/CARBINE OF ANY STYLE, LENGTH, OR WEIGHT WITH ME. A 22 PISTOL SIDEARM DID ANY JOB I NEEDED DONE AND DID IT IN FINE STYLE. I CANNOT IMAGINE CARRYING ANYTHING LIKE EVEN A REALLY SHORT CARBINE WHILE OUT RUNNING MY TRAPLINES.

Some jurisdictions make handguns tougher by far to get than long guns. Some shooters much prefer a rifle. Trappers in the Adirondacks typically carry a small rifle, often a .22.
Certified gun nut
bearhunter
Levergunner

Post by bearhunter »

Thanks for the replies!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Guess it would work, but I would rather have a good pistol. .22 - .38

Welcome to the forum!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Bearhunter, welcome to the board I dont know about a trapline gun, I'd get a 22 pistol myself, but a 25/35 will kill any deer you hit properly matter of fact my dad has killed all his elk but one with a sav 99 in 25-35. danny
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Welcome,...all I will suggest is,... carry what ever you like!

Some back packs have a sleeve to get a nice short carbine out of your way when working traps or fences. Or, a shoulder/back scabbard works for me, on horseback.

I much prefer a carbine over a sidearm. And I am good with my 44 w/4"Bb out to 100yds. But the comfort of a carbine, when a longer than 25yd. shot is required, just makes sense to me.

I don't know a thing about the 25/35,.... but I can say more deer have been taken with a stock 22LR than any other caliber produced.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

25-35 will cost you $$$$$ they are very sought after!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
R Busetti
Levergunner

Post by R Busetti »

I never had a 25/35. Always wanted one. Two of my uncles had them and 30/30's too. They alway claimed the 25/35 killed elk better than the 30/30. But the 30/30 they claimed was the better deer gun. Go figure I guess. Of all the 25/35's I have seen around here (Colorado) were rifles. Only seen one carbine and it was baddly abused.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

have one, like it alot.

for a trap line i'd probly take a 70's 30-30 94 and cut it to 16".

if you want a high power rifle that is.

cheap,cheap,cheap. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"