9422M Range Report + Ruger .44 Mag Hog Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

9422M Range Report + Ruger .44 Mag Hog Gun

Post by crs »

Due to inclement weather, this shooting was done on an indoor 50 yard range at Target Master in Garland, Texas. This is a big combo gun store with indoor pistol(2) and rifle ranges with bench rests and power target movers, class rooms, comfortable lounge area, smoking lounge, and other amenities. My son is a member, so we shot cheap ($20 for two all day if desired!).

My new-to-me 9422M is scoped, but two previous sight-in outings had been compromised by wind and range facilities, so we went indoors for final adjustments and ammo selection.

Firing federal Classic 50 grain ammo at 25 yards resulted in the 1/4" three shot group two inches to the right of the red dot aiming point. Perfect vertical but needing adjustment to the left. After a few three and five shot allignment groups at 25 and 50 yards, I rejected the 50 grain Federals(accurate, but just long enough to contact the outside of the chamber as the lifter positioned them to load) and the 30 grain CCI all copper loads (dispursed group that was three inches high and three inches to the left of aiming point). I settled on the 45 grain S&B loads as they shoot well and function flawlessly through the action.
In the target below, there are two S&B groups "shot for the record". The bottom one is 1/2 inch at 50 yards and the other is just above it in the larger black bull is one inch at 25 yards. Each has a fifth shot flyer, due largely to loss of concentration due to another shooter firing an AK47 as fast as he could pull the trigger(it is still a free country). I am very pleased with the bottom group and OK with the 25 yard group because the large black bull presented a lousy aiming point. next time, I will use more of the stick on orange dots and Shoot n See stick ons to get better aiming points.
Also, after some study of the S&B 45 grain ballistics, I will try some 100 yard and longer range shooting.
Bottom line is that the 9422 has acceptable accuracy for hunting or plinking and I plan to buy a supply of the S&B ammo.

RUGER .44 Mag Carbine
Ho-hum - Firing Remington 240 jacketed soft point ammo gave a three shot cloverleaf at 25 yards and first shot in the X ring at 50 yards! This was enough as the rifle is still "on" and it was getting cold in the AC range room. It is ready for the hog hunt in February.

Oh yes, Colin's Remington tack driver .308 needed a scope mount adjustment and it is once again shooting sub-minute of angle groups.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 9422M Range Report + Ruger .44 Mag Hog Gun

Post by Nath »

:D Neat :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You know Joe CRS is a good forum buddy, you realy should keep your mouth shut.

We'll yeah I know, but I just can't hold it in. It just bugs the snot outta me.

No, no, no, no, keep the pie hole clamped. It ain't your rifle, no business of yours.

I can't help myself, I gotta ask.

Well if you do you'll regret it.

Probably, but but ...... but ...

Oh all right go ahead and ask.

Alright, I will.

CRS, wh...........

Hey dufas what were you gonna ask him?

Well if you'd kept your face shut you'd read it by now.

So what was it?

All I was gonna ask CRS is who the hell took the iron sights off that rifle and just flat ruined it's looks all to hell and gone? That's what I was gonna ask.
I ain't gonna do it now. Don't feel like it. Like you said earlier it's his rifle, none of my beezwax. Looks ugly as a fresh pile of ~ CENSORED~ though.

Oh well. Maybe some day I'll learn.

Yeah right, that day will come when Lake Havasu freezes in August.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :oops:
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I know the secret price CRS paid for the 9422 - and it was a song. I will also reveal that his X-Mas present is the front sight that needs to be on there. Nice shooting Charles! Looks like we're ready to hit the dirt and bring home the bacon.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Mr Joe Miller,
You have asked a very good question that deserves an answer.
The answer is that the rifle is exactly as it was when I bought it some months ago.
I have already located a source of the replacement factory iron sights for the rifle, complete with part numbers and prices, BUT, I have no intention in spending the $80 + on sights if gun will not shoot tight groups!
This indoor session was my third attempt to bench rest the rifle with the scope to determine the capability of the rifle, BEFORE removing the crappy scope and installing the factory sights.
At last - WOW - the rifle can hold a small group, even though my limit seems to be 4 shots before I lose it and throw a flyer.

Also, before I toss the scope, I want to see if my grandson can shoot it with the scope. If so, it may stay on for a while, but if not, it goes.
Thank you for your concern and for letting me know your opinion - I agree with you, but I had my reasons. :)

86er - with the confidence in my ability to hit a nickle with this rifle out to 50 yards, how do you think a 100 pound pig would react to having a 2000 fps 45 grain flat nose .22 bullet stuck in it's ear ?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

crs,

Is it a possibility that the grouping problems might be in the scope itself?
You did use the word "crappy" to describe it. As you know I'm not a scope person so I know little about them other than they can be problematic.

My own 9422 is still wearing it's factory irons so I can't comment on 50 yd accuracy. I think the only range I've put it on targets is 25 yds and that was to verify sight adjustment.

Seriously if my tongue in cheek post above caused any hard feelings I not only apologize, I'll edit it. I was just feeling goofy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I would wager if that gun had the iron sights,(no AK47 screwing up the shooter)and the gun was placed in a shooting vise ,clean bore,good ammo,that 5th flyer would disappear quickly! :?:
I would spend the money on the iron sights for it in a heart beat. :wink: (or sell it to me??????) :lol:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:You know Joe CRS is a good forum buddy, you realy should keep your mouth shut.

We'll yeah I know, but I just can't hold it in. It just bugs the snot outta me.

No, no, no, no, keep the pie hole clamped. It ain't your rifle, no business of yours.

I can't help myself, I gotta ask.

Well if you do you'll regret it.

Probably, but but ...... but ...

Oh all right go ahead and ask.

Alright, I will.

CRS, wh...........

Hey dufas what were you gonna ask him?

Well if you'd kept your face shut you'd read it by now.

So what was it?

All I was gonna ask CRS is who the hell took the iron sights off that rifle and just flat ruined it's looks all to hell and gone? That's what I was gonna ask.
I ain't gonna do it now. Don't feel like it. Like you said earlier it's his rifle, none of my beezwax. Looks ugly as a fresh pile of ~ CENSORED~ though.

Oh well. Maybe some day I'll learn.

Yeah right, that day will come when Lake Havasu freezes in August.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :oops:

the voices in your head bothering you again? :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pokey wrote:the voices in your head bothering you again? :D
:lol:

No, it's those shots they give you when they "check your oil" with the scope - plus a healthy (pun intended) dose of "Gee I'm glad everything came out OK!" endorphins or something or other.

Personally, I'm glad Joe's stuff came out allright, and I'm glad to see his humor back on the forum.

(...but I'm worried about what he's gonna hit with that there 'Ruger' hammer... :o )

BTW - I just LOVE those Ruger .44's - I don't have the semiauto, but have the 96/44 and 77/44 - 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well I'm not above admitting that my eyes just don't work well with iron sights any more. I tried out my new Henry pump a week or so ago and with irons at 25 yards the best I could do was 4-5". I'm pretty sure the rifle is better than that. Next time out I'll have a carry handle on it. Unless I can fit it with a peep sight.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Oh man! I had to open this thread now I want one of those Ruger .44 carbines.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

crs - gun looks good without those iron sights you ain't gonna use. :D And now they won't snag on anything - nice idea.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

OS - Thanks - it does shoot really well with the scope - being able to see the smaller aim points just results in smaller groups.

I do like the looks of the 9422 with factory sights, but why kick a winner? Tomorrow we will see if my grandson can handle it with the scope.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

crs,

My 9422 Mag shot best with Winchester's 34-grain Supreme ammo. It has killed three ground hogs (all one shot drops) and literally blew a squirrel apart so far. It is my favorite walkabout rifle, as it is light, handy, and has the power necessary should I need it when kicking around in the woods. Plus, 50 or 100 rounds of ammo carries really easily in my pack or pockets.

I've not scoped mine, but I have been tempted to put a Leupold 2-7X33 on it for kicks from time to time. But, then it wouldn't be quite as easy to carry, so I get over it. :)
.........THE TWINS..........

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I took my first white-tail with one of the Ruger 44 Carbines, that I still have to this day. I haven't hunted with it in years either.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.