Rossi 92 Scout Mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Rossi 92 Scout Mount

Post by Bruce Scott »

I believe these are/were being sold by Rossi distributors. I can't source the mount here in Oz. Does anyone know where I might find one?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 92 Scout Mount

Post by AJMD429 »

I noticed they have the same hole spacing as my Thompson Encore ones, but I believe the 'slope' is different; careful modification could probably shim/file to make one work, but someone will likely post a source for the Rossi ones. Try MidwayUSA, Brownells, Natchez, etc. maybe..?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Bruce Scott wrote:I believe these are/were being sold by Rossi distributors. I can't source the mount here in Oz. Does anyone know where I might find one?

I have been trying to source one here in Canada but no luck and No one in the States Will ship to Canada anymore, I see they go for around $13.00.
Looks like I will have to try and make one out of another mount.
I am starting to regret buying a Rossi as I can get no goodies for it here.And Rossi customer Service is really bad! I don't think they answer the phone.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

try M&M gunsmith and shop in Arlington Va. They were recommended to me by rossi service center for parts. They are on the internet.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

COSteve wrote:If you have an LSI Rossi Puma, then email Sports World (info@sportsworldtulsa.com) in Tulsa with your model no. (M92), s/n, name, address, and phone number along with the specific parts you want. They are the warranty repair group for LSI Rossi.

In any case, I'd give them the exact name as defined in THIS PARTS LISTING for the M92 Rossi.

You can also call them at (918) 742-4027, but they will ask you to send them an email with the specific parts that you want. Make sure you tell them you're in another country. They will respond to your email with a price and availability.

For the scout scope mount,

Rossi USA says to provide the following information:

Part Number: P801
Price: $14.50
UPC: 6-62205-00008-9

Even though LSI and Rossi have split ways, it's worth an email to see if they will provide one to you.
Are you sure that is the right part number? P801 in my Rossi cat it shows that for the single shot and mount number P892 for the lever, but if the P801 works it gives more options.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

The correct part number for the Model 92 is P892 not P801. The 801 is for the single shots and there is no built in slope to the mount. You may run out of elevation before you get your zero. I tried the 801 mount on my 92 and while it fits my dot sight ran out of elevation before I had a zero. gun was shooting way high. I ordered the P892 mount from Rossi/ braztech.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks for all replies.

retmech,
Is that the one for the carbine? I understand that different mounts are made for carbines (round barrel) and rifles (octagonal barrel).
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I'm sure that's for the carbine and the 801 is round on the bottom so I don't think they have a mount for the octagon barrel. I don't even know if the octagons are D&T'd.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

retmech wrote:I'm sure that's for the carbine and the 801 is round on the bottom so I don't think they have a mount for the octagon barrel. I don't even know if the octagons are D&T'd.
Great, thank you.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Bruce Scott wrote:
retmech wrote:I'm sure that's for the carbine and the 801 is round on the bottom so I don't think they have a mount for the octagon barrel. I don't even know if the octagons are D&T'd.
Great, thank you.
let me know if you find someone that will ship. My eye's are not as good anymore and I plan on using it in the dark woods, plus I can see are gophers better with a scope.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Will do. I just emailed Sports World (info@sportsworldtulsa.com) in Tulsa.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Sports World have advised me to contact Legacy Sports International http://www.legacysports.com

The hunt goes on..... :)
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I think what I will do is get the T C or Rossi single shot mount, a weaver number 92 and contour it to fit the lever barrel should work.
The hole spacing is supposed to be the same on the mount.
Mounts for T C's are available up here everywhere not so for a Rossi most gun shops have not even heard of a Rossi lol.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

brno602 wrote:I think what I will do is get the T C or Rossi single shot mount, a weaver number 92 and contour it to fit the lever barrel should work.
The hole spacing is supposed to be the same on the mount.
Mounts for T C's are available up here everywhere not so for a Rossi most gun shops have not even heard of a Rossi lol.
I laid my TC Encore one on the Rossi 92, and the hole spacing seemed identical; if I recall, there appeared to be a pretty small amount of 'slope' difference - something likely solveable with some sandpaper and a dowel, and patience for trial-and-error. I'd be especially careful not to 'cant' the base inadvertently, and unless you know or can measure the angle needed, you might be doing lots of mounting and unmounting of your scope during the testing phase. Another idea would be to use shims first, to get the angle worked out, then after you knew that, make a sanding jig of some sort so the mount would be angled just right, and kept centered.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

The spacing is identical. I put my 92 in a drill vise and leveled the top of the receiver to measure the amount of taper on the barrel. There is approximately .0625 drop over the length of the mount. So if you had screws about 1/16" longer for the front holes and added about a 1/16 shim the tc mount would probably work.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I should have waited to post this morning. Just got back from the range and the new Rossi mount is here. The taper in the mount from one end to the other is exactly .100". Now as Paul Harvey used to say "we know the rest of the story".
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

retmech wrote:I should have waited to post this morning. Just got back from the range and the new Rossi mount is here. The taper in the mount from one end to the other is exactly .100". Now as Paul Harvey used to say "we know the rest of the story".
Thanks! that is a big help for me :D will pick up a mount soon, I know Bass Pro has them in stock in the T C brand.
ResJudicata
Levergunner

Post by ResJudicata »

retmech wrote:I should have waited to post this morning. Just got back from the range and the new Rossi mount is here. The taper in the mount from one end to the other is exactly .100". Now as Paul Harvey used to say "we know the rest of the story".
So, which mount did you get that worked? The 801 or the 892?

The lack of an optic mount is the only thing that has kept me from buying a Rossi lever. My brother has one and it is a very nice gun. But, I like the red dot on my Winchester 94 too much.

Also, does the mount screw to the receiver or does it mount where the rear sight is in the barrel?

Thanks,
Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ResJudicata wrote:Also, does the mount screw to the receiver or does it mount where the rear sight is in the barrel?
Some of the Rossi's have four drilled/tapped holes that lie under the rear sight spring. If not like that, I think you'd have to have your barrel drilled/tapped.