My old 84 year old Model 1892 still has it in her

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

My old 84 year old Model 1892 still has it in her

Post by Nicknack »

I took my old Winchester Model 1892 to the range last weekend and the Old girl surprised me with good consistent accuracy.
I'm lucky the rifle still has a very good bore only lightly pitted just 1/8 into the crown I was going to counter bore it up to the good rifling but thought to try her out first, I think by the results I will leave it alone.
The barrel is an original -STAINLESS STEEL- Winchester postal replacement barrel (stamped with a P inside an oval and the same size as the Winchester proof stamp) apparently very rare and they were only offered for a few years. They were expensive and hard to machine for Winchester, because they couldn’t be blued, Winchester could only give them a painted "japanned" finish which was not too durable and the finish was soon worn away. My 92 in the picture has a dinged up stock all the bluing worn off to a grey patina from a life of use but not abuse, but I like her just the way she is, warts and all.
The 32 WCF is not much of a high powered killer but its fun and cheep to shoot. Back in the old days the 32-20 was very common and 9 out of 10 Model 92’s in Australia are in 32-20 with the short button magazine, and long magazines are rare here. The little model 92 is quite common in Australia and most can be picked up for around $300/350 for one in fair condition.Because they were used so much in Australia shooters would literally wear their bores out so a company here called sportco decided to make replacement barrels for them, but I have only ever seen sportco's in round barrel form, they were made from very good steel and the ones I have shot are very accurate. Sportco even converted.310 Cadet Martinis to .22LR, 22 Hornet.218 BEE and 25-20,they even converted them to a .22 Target Rifle.There were so many cheep Martinis in Australia they were bought as concrete reinforcing!,so I'm told and you can still pick up good original 310's for around $300/350.
The 32 WCF loves lead and my pet load is 110 grain FP lead bullets with 4.5grains of Australian ADI AP70,to you US shooters, the exact same powder is Hodgens Universal, as Australian Defense Industries export it to the Hodgen company. regards Dallas
Model 92 32-20 1926 001.JPG
Model 92 32-20 1926 002.JPG
Model 92 32-20 1926 003.JPG
Model 92 32-20 1926 004.JPG
1892 1892 32-20 Target.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nicknack on Sun May 16, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: My old 84 year old Model 1892 still has it in her

Post by Dave »

Good looking gun. That stainless barrel is intriguing. That gun shoots about as on as a gun can!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for showing us that fine old rifle, like I said that is my favorite round.I sure do enjoy my old 32wcf in fact it's setting by the kitchen door right now waiting for some varmit to try their luck in my hen house.
You do believe in a good set of sights on your rifles I see. That is a fine group.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice. Looks like she can still get the job done.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

You got yourself a very fine '92. With a stainless steel octagon barrel that shoots like that, I would be very happy. That is a keeper for sure. The 32-20 (32 WCF) is my favourite small game round, and a great gun to start off a young person on, since it has no noticeable recoil. My particular 32-20 is a Winchester Model 53 made in 1926. It is still taking care of the Woodchucks in the alfalfa field.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

wow. a new guy with pics.

nice. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

VERY cool!! Thanks for sharing -- and good shooting!! I've not seen a 92 with a stainless barrel before. That one's a treasure!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Cool beyond belief! And a heckuva shooter to boot :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

2X22 wrote:Cool beyond belief! And a heckuva shooter to boot :D

2x22
+ 1, Hardly ever see Winchesters in 32/20 in the UK :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Apropos of Nicknack's comment about concrete reinforcing. I know of a factory in Western Sydney, and the owner got hold of a large number of SMLE barreled actions in the 1960's that he used to reinforce the concrete. The concrete is as good as new
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Nice group and gun!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Nicknack- that is quite a shooter. I have never seen 'Stainless' barrels on 92's as a Winchester article.

Do you know if the gun had to go back to New Haven for installation or whether the local Aussie agent, or local gunsmith handled installation?

I am wondering if this was along the lines of an over the counter spare part or factory refit.

I am in Southern NSW and spend a lot of time in gun shops in country towns during odd time off while plying my 'trade' as a firearms lawyer. I always have my eye open for a good lever gun.

Seldom do I come across a 92 that is not a button mag 32 cal here, though I did once pick up a 25/20 with long factory octagonal barrel and a tang sight. It was a shooter. Alas, in a moment's stupidity I allowed myself to be talked into selling it to a western match shooter.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Hey Nicknak, welcome to leverguns.
Nice rifle and a very impressive group.

I'm starting to think a 32-20 might make a good replacement for the 357 which can only produce groups like that with jacketed ammo.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.