How rare is a Winchester src with a 2/3 mag?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

How rare is a Winchester src with a 2/3 mag?

Post by rangerider7 »

I just read Bert Hartman's list but was unable to tell how many src were made with 2/3 mags or were they included in the stat?
"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How rare is a Winchester src with a 2/3 mag?

Post by Pete44ru »

1:688 (0.15%) of ALL Model 1894's had a 2/3 magazine (515).

Since only 20% of Model 1894's were SRC's, I don't know that the rarity would be .15% of 20%, but I'd say an SRC that will letter with other than a full-length mag is pretty unique.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Just remember the ratios are based on information gathered up to serial number 353,999.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I saw one of those on an internet site this morning, but can't recall which one. I look at most of those "unusual" '94s with suspicion, anyway. There are too many "commie jobs" out there and most have too high a serial number to check with Cody. The big thing nowadays is to modify high number guns of all models, then try to pass them off to collectors. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Mine is in the 900,000 range so it is probably not all that rare. That's okay it just means I can shoot it more. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I hope it helps.

Since the question was asked concerning Winchesters and not, therefore limited to 1894's
I thought I might pass on a bit of info regarding that configuration in the Model 1892 rifle.
I am in the relative early stages of conducting a survey of the production variations of the
1892 and to date have 516 rifles surveyed with full configuration data. Of those, 149 are SRC's,
making up 29% of rifles. Thirteen of those have button magazines for 2.5% of total rifles
surveyed and 8.7% of the SRC count. Only one SRC had a 1/2 magazine which is .19% of
total survey and .67% of SRC surveyed.

In addition there are 5 carbines, without barrel bands, for .96% of the total survey and 2 had
1/2 mags equaling .38% of total and one had a 2/3 mag for a whopping .19% of the surveyed
rifles. For the non-mathematicians out there that is less than 2 tenths of 1%.

Pretty much any way you carve it up, short magazine carbines are not common by any stretch
of the imagination. A bit over 500 rifles out of a population of just over a million is probably not
statistically significant but it is a start.

If anyone would like to add their rifle's configuration data, no matter what it is, to my research
I have reference material with easy to follow photos and directions. Contact me at 2bitrifles@gmail.com
I'll be glad to let you know how your rifle, or rifles, fit into the trend of guns in its serial number
range. This is a great tool for recognizing re-barreled rifles which have incorrect barrel addresses
or proof mark stamps in the incorrect location. Even some early rifles with replaced hammers
can be identified. This survey is very similar to Bert's work on 94's and Model 55 rifles.

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations