Jack O'Connor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Jack O'Connor

Post by getitdone1 »

Recently acquired a couple of books about and by the famous gun writer Jack O'Connor.

Complete Book Of Rifles and Shotguns by Jack O'Connor. I can't think of a better gun book for anyone and especially a person new to guns.

Jack O'Connor: The Lengendary Life of America's Greatest gun writer. This one's a fairly recent book written by Robert Anderson. Anderson owns several of Jack's guns. Many of the guns owned by Jack are discussed in this book.

It's easy to know of famous people and yet not know about big problems they've had in their lives. I was surprised to learn that Jack, and his wife Eleanor, had a son who "had problems" and died young. As is often the case, and I've seen this in our family, they each blamed the other--for awhile--for their son's condition. Sometimes in life there just seems to be no good answer.

I believe Teddy Roosevelt had a brother "with problems."

Both of these books obtainable on the internet. Alibris.com for out-of-print and Amazon for current plus other internet sources.

I've had several "gun books" over the past 50 years. My recent purchase of an old model 70 Winchester chambered for 270 Winchester (standard weight made in 1950) motivated me to buy these books. Sure glad I did.

Found that Jack often used a Weaver K4 and Lyman Alaskan 2.5x on his model 70's. He said a 4 power scope was plenty for BIG game hunting but expect many today would disagree. Mostly comes down to sufficient practice rather than how big the scope but for varmints and long distance targets Jack agreed on 6X or more. Seems the 3-9X has become the most popular and for many years. Just my guess.

Years ago I had an old model 70 that was made in 1937. One of the really early ones. It had a Lyman Alaskan mounted on it and was chambered for the 257 Roberts cartridge. Looking back I could have saved myself a lot of time and trouble by keeping this gun and never buying another centerfire rifle. Well yes, but I'd have missed-out on a lot of fun with other guns. I know many in this group have also "been there, done that."

Don McCullough
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Jack O'Connor

Post by foxtrapper »

Reading Jack when I was a kid got me hooked on hunting and the 270 Win :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great writer, I have a few of his books - if you come across The Last Book I think you will like it. Read his stuff from about 12 on.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I cant speak much for jack o,conner but want to comment about people with problems. There isnt a grown person on this planet alive or dead thats has never had problems. If it appears that way its because they dont tell you about them for embaressment. After I retired I was part of a coffee klutch of maybe 30 guys that hung out various times of the day. I could go there almost anytime of the day and usualy there would be two to five of us sitting there. We were all old and about half of us retired. All blue collar type. Prision guards, cops, military, truck drivers etc. Many of my buddys had adult sons liveing at home sponging off them. They were druggies, bi-polar, sick, lame and lazy. Usualy they put up with it because it would kill the wife if they threw the boy out!
Somehow my sister had four mentaly challenged kids out of six! Hit em all at pubilty or she probley would have stopped after the first. Anyway my brother in law died young and somehow I ended up raiseing two of them.
What I am saying here is I would find it unusual to find someone that claimed they didnt have problems. There is no family untouched!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Booger Bill, you are a wise man. O'Connor was raised in an era when you didn't complain to everyone else about your problems, you just kept working. Nowadays the news media tells us too much about everyone, and too many people want to cry on the worlds shoulder. Knowing this about O'Connor does not change my opinion of him at all. He is still someone to be admired for what he accomplished.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I always enjoyed Jack O'Connor but never took a shine to the 270. I was already hooked on the 30-06. After a brief flirtation with the 300 Weatherby in 1960 I never messed with new fangled rifles and scopes. I have a 1954 Wincester 70 (standard) in 30-06 and a good El Paso made Weaver K3 scope. I could easily have used this rifle exclusively for the past 50 years and never missed out on any game animal.

As to people and problems. After 37 years as a Pastor, I can say with some authority that nobody gets out of this life without passing through "the dark night of the soul". These hardships break some folks and make others.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I started reading O'Conner when I was about 8 that would have been 1969 !

So I was only able to enoy his writing during 9 years of his life .
For so so many years I was convinced the perfect rifle was a Pre 64 Model 70 in 270 WIN that had been restocked in the more classic lines with a cheekpiece and ebony forend tip and fluer de lais checkering . I still think that to a degree . Heck that was the reason I got hung up on Pre 64 Model 70's and Kimber 89BGR's for a number of years .

I really wasn't aware of the supposed O'Conner Keith fued until later in life . but when i was a youngster I read them both . And I gotta say I prefferred O'Conner which is easily seen in my library as I have quite a few O'Conner written books and none by Keith .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
EndGameAK
Levergunner

Post by EndGameAK »

In the '50s and '60s, as a youth, I subscribed to Outdoor Life just so I could read the latest O'Connor articles. He was a professor of English, at the U. of Idaho, I believe, and he was an excellent writer. No pointy headed, ivory tower academic.

He had a pasion for sheep hunting, and by all accounts was very good at it.

One of his most impressive feats came on a Dall sheep hunt in the Yukon. He made a one shot kill with one of his beloved .270s on a running wolf at 350 yards. His guide was awe-struck. Wolves can hit 40 mph. Needless to say, he was also a very good wing shot.

All the O'Connor tales I read set me firmly on the path to Alaska. Thanks, Jack.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Except for his fixation on the .270... among the best of the outdoor writers I've ever read. Still worth reading... it's just too darn bad he didn't revere the .30WCF the way he should've! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I always read Jack's column FIRST when my Outdoor Life arrived. His straight talk about realistic hunting (shooting) distances and non-magnum cartridges for big game have been brushed aside by the next generation of writers.

Back in 1971, I wrote to him about the mighty Marlin 444 and he actually replied. Jacks opinion was that the 240 grain factory loads had wrong bullet weight for the job. He was right.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

When I got serious about deer hunting and decided to get "THE" deer rifle (a bolt gun, at that time), I did some research on several calibers of interest. 7x57, 7mm-08, .308, and .30-06 were the main characters. At that time, 7mm-08 was not chambered in many rifles at all.
I read one of Jack's articles in Gun Digest in which he noted that the 7x57's mild recoil and excellent killing power made it a natural for people to master, as they would shoot it well and practice with it. He also gave accounts of some of his wife's many 1-shot kills with her 7x57. I knew I'd be practicing a lot, and opted for a Winchester 70 XTR Featherweight in 7x57. Everything Jack said was true -- even with stiffer 139 gr. handloads for modern actions, it was still very pleasant to shoot, and struck like lightning on deer, with about 50% falling in their tracks, and none running over 25-30 yards. It's still my "go-to" caliber in a bolt action, although nowadays I'm usually found afield with a Winchester 94...

As has been said before, "Thanks, Jack!" :D
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

As a 21 year old I enjoy reading Jack O' Connor. Sadly I believe that most people my age dont know who Mr. O' Connor was nor what he accomplished. I like many here also have a collction of Kieth books as well. I tend to enjoy Jack O' Connor more than Elmer Kieth as to his writing but I believe that both while differing in their opinions had some very good advice to bring to the table despite what modern day gun writers tend to say that we "need" in the way of big magnums. I for one don't intend to get rid of my 270 or my 44mag sixgun anytime soon. :)

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've never found a copy of his writings, but I know generally what he stood for.

I agree in the hunting fields, people seem to look for the technological vs skill side and "overgun" themselves with super-mag rounds when realistically (even Cooper agreed) a .30-06 and a scope can do just about anything really needing doing in N. America.

The majority of my rifles are black and plastic, or military surplus. The two true "hunting rifles" I currently own are a Remington 721 in .30-06, and a Sako Forester in .243.

There is nothing other than grizzlies on this continent I'd need something else for except maybe prairie dogs.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

He definitely was one of my favorite writers. They sure don't make 'em like that any more....
EndGameAK
Levergunner

Post by EndGameAK »

I've often wondered what Jack would hunt with, were he in his prime today. Blued or stainless, walnut or composite? Would the "high tech" rifles of today hold his attention?

I believe Jack was an eminently straight forward, practical man. The rifles he chose were the very best of their era. Today, a serious sheep hunter's rifle may be lighter than the 8# goal he espoused. I think that the shape of the best composite stocks - Brown Precision, Kimber, McMillan, NULA, etc., are all classic in form - straight comb, little if any drop. He would recognize his influence. They would feel natural to him. And with todays metal finishes, no rifle has to be shiny stainless; SS can be any color one wants. My point is that today's high tech bolt gun can be quite practical and endure hard use without damage or change of point of impact. Scopes are definitely vastly improved, particularly variables. His Al Linden French walnut stocked beauties would still hold first place in his heart, but the best of the modern rifles would be in his hands on the hunt. Like him, they are just practical.

My hunting partner has a beautiful classic ....338 WM on an FN Supreme action, made by Paul Jaeger of Pennsylvania in the early 60's. He's careful to wipe it down after each day's hunt. The scope is a Weaver 3X on a Pachmayr side-swing mount. Has a 22" barrel and some of the most beautiful walnut I've ever seen. My normal hunting rifle is a 330 Dakota, stocked by Brown Precision with a green camo paint job, and a 1.5 x 5 Leupold. A neat rifle in practical, modern terms. But sometimes in a blind, or calling moose and waiting, I find myself drifting in thought, staring at the timeless patterns of grain in my pard's beautiful walnut stock. I'm almost mesmerized. My rifle is more practical than his, but his is vastly more beautiful.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

EndGameAK wrote:In the '50s and '60s, as a youth, I subscribed to Outdoor Life just so I could read the latest O'Connor articles. He was a professor of English, at the U. of Idaho, I believe, and he was an excellent writer. No pointy headed, ivory tower academic.

One of his most impressive feats came on a Dall sheep hunt in the Yukon. He made a one shot kill with one of his beloved .270s on a running wolf at 350 yards. His guide was awe-struck. Wolves can hit 40 mph. Needless to say, he was also a very good wing shot.

All the O'Connor tales I read set me firmly on the path to Alaska. Thanks, Jack.

I grew up reading Jack O'Connor, and I have read some of his books. Jack was a good running game shot, and was not bashfull about telling a story regarding a running shot taken. I remember one story about a Running Lion he killed in Africa. He defended shooting the Lion on the run, because it was the last day of the hunt, and he had an expensive Lion license, and he killed it with a heart shot. He also talked about how maybe it wasn't the best thing to do, considering the risks, and when pondering wheather he would take the shot again, he was honest about it, when he said "It probably depends on the state of my blood pressure at the time." Many a time, those words have came back to me, when I think of shots that I taken on running game. And he is absolutely right, when you know that you a can probably get it killed with a running shot, vs letting it run off, never to be seen again, it literally comes down to my blood pressure at the time. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

As I read this I caress my per 64 M70 270 with it's 3X weaver. I have made shots to 300 yards on deer with nothing more than the old 3x, but my father in law wouldn't even use a scope on his 270. Between us we had everything Jack ever wrote.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Some may be wondering if Jack O'Connor ever used a lever-action rifle.

I know for sure of at least a couple. Early-on he used a model 92 Winchester chambered for 25-20 and later, about 1936, he bought and used a model 71 Winchester. Of course since he was much more of a model 70, 270 winchester guy (and 30-06) he didn't use lever-actions much. And, lots of sheep hunting kept the lever guns of his time at bay although think he killed one or more sheep with the 71. His first kill on "big game" was a Javelina with the model 92. Read he really liked the stock design of the model 71.

Jack also did quite a bit of hunting with Mauser bolt-actions.

Don McCullough
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

KCSO wrote:As I read this I caress my per 64 M70 270 with it's 3X weaver. I have made shots to 300 yards on deer with nothing more than the old 3x, but my father in law wouldn't even use a scope on his 270. Between us we had everything Jack ever wrote.
KCSO,

Is that pre-64 model 70 Winchester of yours standard or Featherweight? Bought one recently chambered for 270 that's standard weight. It was made in 1950. Love the thing. Quality, nostalgia and one of the greatest "classic guns." On the heavy side but that's O.K.

Jack O'Connor often used a Weaver K4 and a Lyman Alaskan 2.5X. I'm guessing he used the K4 the most of any scope and think I'm right. Trying to decide at this time what scope to put on mine. Leaning toward the K4 with a dot reticule. Might be hard to find.

Don McCullough
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Like so many of you, I too grew up on O'Connor, Outdoor Life and later on several of his books, and was an interest passed on from my dad. While stationed in England in the early 50s before my arrival, he'd had a FN .270 built at Jack's specific suggestion made to him. How they crossed paths is a story I've forgotten and want back, but perhaps when my father was stationed at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson after the war. One of Jack's many lives was as an Arizonan, and it was after (what I believe was) their meeting that Dad was reassigned to England. The action/barrel were directly sourced from FN/Belgium and a nice but not fancy--modestly Monte Carlo'd, basic checkering/black and white diamond and black forestock nose--oiled walnut stock made for it in Wiesbaden, Germany,...and it was there that dad picked the gun up while on one of his many sub-assignments to Germany.

The rifle was passed on to me and, unfortunately, I'll have to say I was a lousy steward, unintentionally I assure you. But I was stll young and foolish (naïve)--and broke--and before I could get a safe (and this prompted me) some thugs broke into my apartment and stole it. But it wasn't before I had a few good years with that remarkable rifle/cartridge.

Btw, like Jack, I'm not only a .270 guy but have had a very nice Ruger .30-06 and Win 70 7mm-08--perhaps my very fave all around--especially as a "mountain gun" (and want in back again in the form of Win 70 Fthwt), and have a major affection for the Win 94 in .30-30) in addition to '92 pistol levers. But, of course, I still have a .270: a Wallyworld (or K-Mart) syn stock special Win 70 (Black Shadow?) that came with a cheap, small recticle 3x9 Simmons. Just push-fed, but it's a great, tough field gun that's a tack driver. I hope to have "better" some day again--perhaps a little more "fondleable" for greater appreciation between hunts (I like to look at and handle 'em too)--but it's still a good one.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

To me Jack O'Connor will always be the prince of gun writers. I own and have read several times most of his books. Of these one of the most delightful is his autobiographical "Horse and Buggy West" about his early life in his native Arizona.

High on my to-do list is a trip to the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage and Education Center near Lewiston, Idaho. Here's a link:

http://www.jack-oconnor.org/
bradoconnor
Levergunner

Post by bradoconnor »

RustyJr wrote:As a 21 year old I enjoy reading Jack O' Connor. Sadly I believe that most people my age dont know who Mr. O' Connor was nor what he accomplished. I like many here also have a collction of Kieth books as well. I tend to enjoy Jack O' Connor more than Elmer Kieth as to his writing but I believe that both while differing in their opinions had some very good advice to bring to the table despite what modern day gun writers tend to say that we "need" in the way of big magnums. I for one don't intend to get rid of my 270 or my 44mag sixgun anytime soon. :)

RustyJr
Rusty, I am Jack's son and let me tell you that it warms the cockles of this old geezer's heart that Dad has fans who were not even faint gleams in their parents' eyes when Dad died nearly 33 years ago. You are not alone. A few years ago, a 16-year-old Oregon lad approached me at a sports show with a stack of Jack O'Connor books to sign. He not only had read all of them, but he, too, owned a .270 and used it to kill a spike bull elk and a Columbia blacktail the previous season. Like you, he said he had no desire to dump the .270.
Bradford O'Connor, Washington State
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Welcome to the forum Brad! Glad to see his legacy living on in you.

I too, was bitten by the 270 bug. My first centerfire rifle was a Winchester model 70 in 270, with a Bushnell 4x scope on it. Great round and platform!
I never took anything larger than mule deer, however it took my first deer! :D here I am on that happy day in Montana 1989. The date is from the scanner.

Thanks Jack for the influence, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I too read a ton of Jack O'Conner growing up and learned a lot. I never bought into the 270 like Jack, but because of his writings, I learned a lot and am able to make my own decisions.

Before someone copies my text and berates me for not hailing the 270 as the best cartridge in the world, citing energy and velocities, I do not like small bullets for deer sized and larger game. I like 30 cal at least. Not saying 270 is not viable deer, goat, antelope or sheep cartridge.

Just wanted to beat a couple of people to the punch.

I am headed to my Dad's for the Cornhusker game tomorrow, Going to dig out a few of those old O'Conner books again. Maybe its time I read some of them again!!
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

For those interested, more Jack O'Connor books may be found at www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
I have bought books from him in the past and he is very pleasant to deal with.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If this thread doesn't stop soon I'll be looking for a pre 64 M 70.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty wrote:If this thread doesn't stop soon I'll be looking for a pre 64 M 70.
We had one in the shop, old school with Weaver 4X scope in Weaver rings. Got snapped up to use as is!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I already have mine although it's a Featherweight in 243 WIN :wink:

It's my understanding and I could very well be wrong . But it seems to me I remmember reading O'Conner articles telling about his matched pair of Al Biesen Pre 64 Model 70 270's . And if memory serves he said one started life as a standard weight Model 70 in 270 and the other started life as a Featherweight in 270 . I also seem to remmember although vaguely that he had a third rifle built by Biesen on a Pre 64 and also in 270 (but again this is memory from 40 years ago).

I originally was enamored with his high regard for mountain sheep hunting . But the thing that really blew my mind was the way he took the first couple in Sonora . Think he wrote that he used a custom Mauser 98 in 7x57 with a PEEP SIGHT .
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Soooo if someone who has never read any of Mr O'Connor's works was looking to peruse some of his writings, what's a good one to start with? :oops:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Brad, welcome to the forum. I started reading your dad about 50 years ago and got The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns back then as a Christmas gift. I have a variety of his books and think he was the best. I enjoyed The Last Book. I happen to think he was right on with the 270. Glad to see that you are seeing the great sentiments from his fans.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

awp101 wrote:Soooo if someone who has never read any of Mr O'Connor's works was looking to peruse some of his writings, what's a good one to start with? :oops:

I think "Sheep and Sheep Hunting" was the best and I happen to have a copy that I don't plan to let out of the house !

Also "The Art of Hunting Big Game" .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There were only a couple authors I saw fit to buy more then one or two of their works !

Jack O'Conner comes to mind first , followed closely by George Bird Evans , also Havilah Babcock and finally Nash Buckingham .

While all of these gentleman were quite knowledgable in there own realm of hunting they ALL had the uncanny ability to write in a way that was easy to follow and made you want to keep reading .

I've never been to Canada hunting and may never go , but reading O'Conner stories about month long trips in Alberta , British Columbia and the Yukon made you feel like you were right there with him !

George Bird Evans had the ability to write about grouse coverts in the WVA , MD and PA mountains that would make you see the dogs and the birds !

Babcock and Buckingham took you back to times when conservation was still just an idea . But they already knew it should be implemented . They had the ability to tell you about some grand people and make you feel as if you'd known them all your life .

Nothing against the present crop of "outdoor writers" (and I use that term loosely) , but the new guys style doesn't hold a candle to these old masters !
bradoconnor
Levergunner

Post by bradoconnor »

I really appreciate the kind words about my father and that so many on this board have most or nearly all his books. If you haven't visited the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston, ID, you should drop by if you are in the Pacific Northwest. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the Old Man, his guns, his hunting and most anything else. Also, check out Jack-Oconnor. org for information on the center and a brief biography.

Bradford O'Connor, Olympia/Lacey, WA
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bradoconnor wrote:I really appreciate the kind words about my father and that so many on this board have most or nearly all his books. If you haven't visited the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston, ID, you should drop by if you are in the Pacific Northwest. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the Old Man, his guns, his hunting and most anything else. Also, check out Jack-Oconnor. org for information on the center and a brief biography.

I think it was a year or so ago I remmember watching you on an antelope hunt with Jack Atcheson I believe . If memory serves you were using the #2 rifle and Atcheson gave you a cartridge that your dad had given him that was originally loaded for that rifle . And if memory serves you killed an antelope with one shot !

I thought that was kinda neat when I watched it :wink:
bradoconnor
Levergunner

Post by bradoconnor »

6pt-sika wrote:
bradoconnor wrote:I really appreciate the kind words about my father and that so many on this board have most or nearly all his books. If you haven't visited the Jack O'Connor Center in Lewiston, ID, you should drop by if you are in the Pacific Northwest. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the Old Man, his guns, his hunting and most anything else. Also, check out Jack-Oconnor. org for information on the center and a brief biography.

I think it was a year or so ago I remmember watching you on an antelope hunt with Jack Atcheson I believe . If memory serves you were using the #2 rifle and Atcheson gave you a cartridge that your dad had given him that was originally loaded for that rifle . And if memory serves you killed an antelope with one shot !

I thought that was kinda neat when I watched it :wink:
Right on all counts except that Dad had given Jack the cartridge on a hunt in Eastern Montana in 1977. Jack did take an antelope on the Colorado hunt using that cartridge. And for the record, I missed a running shot on one antelope in a group of three or four. A couple of minutes later, one of them appeared on a ridge about 200 yards from us, paused a secord or two and went down in one shot. While my wife and I were packing the next day to head for home, hoping to beat a winter storm front, I let the outfitter use the No. 2 and within half an hour, he took a good buck antelope. That was the last big-game animal taken with the No. 2.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd like to thank Mr. O'Connor for visiting this site and making me aware of the O'Connor center. I see after visiting the center's web site I see they are having an auction for a replica of Jack O'Connor's famous #2 rifle.

Of course if I were to win the rifle I know I'd have to take a trip out there to pick it up.

After learning of the center my son told me that now he knows where he is going to go on his elk hunt. Jr. and one of his cousins are planing an elk hunt out west upon his graduation from college. And would you believe Jr. and his cousin will both be taking their .270's on the trip?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My latest find.

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Bradford O'Connor,

Great to have you as a member of this group. Quite a surprise.

I'm wondering about your father's preference for weight of trigger pull? Rifles.

I read where one fellow stated that your mother was a better shot than your dad. I found that hard to believe.

I'll never forget reading about your dad practicing dry firing at a brick on a chimney of a neighbor's house.

I"ll also never forget a comment your father made about rifles. ........"I love the darn things." I do understand. Definitely my favorite kind of gun.

Don McCullough
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

awp101 wrote:Soooo if someone who has never read any of Mr O'Connor's works was looking to peruse some of his writings, what's a good one to start with? :oops:
awp101,

I read that Jack O'Connor's Complete Book Of Rifles and Shotguns was probably the most popular and had gone through at least 16 printings. Expect this one would be hard to beat for a first Jack O'Connor book. I have it and it is a dandy with lots and lots of great information about guns and related items.

Don McCullough
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

bradoconnor wrote:
RustyJr wrote:As a 21 year old I enjoy reading Jack O' Connor. Sadly I believe that most people my age dont know who Mr. O' Connor was nor what he accomplished. I like many here also have a collction of Kieth books as well. I tend to enjoy Jack O' Connor more than Elmer Kieth as to his writing but I believe that both while differing in their opinions had some very good advice to bring to the table despite what modern day gun writers tend to say that we "need" in the way of big magnums. I for one don't intend to get rid of my 270 or my 44mag sixgun anytime soon. :)

RustyJr
Rusty, I am Jack's son and let me tell you that it warms the cockles of this old geezer's heart that Dad has fans who were not even faint gleams in their parents' eyes when Dad died nearly 33 years ago. You are not alone. A few years ago, a 16-year-old Oregon lad approached me at a sports show with a stack of Jack O'Connor books to sign. He not only had read all of them, but he, too, owned a .270 and used it to kill a spike bull elk and a Columbia blacktail the previous season. Like you, he said he had no desire to dump the .270.
Bradford O'Connor, Washington State
A classic lever guns post. 8)
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Glad you brought this one up, it's very interesting

Thanks
PLOWBOY
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

What a great surprise to see Mr. Brad O'Connor on here! Thank you for taking the time to visit with us!

The very first book I ever bought with my own saved-up money was Jack O'Connor's Complete Book Of Rifles and Shotguns . I would have been about 10 or 11 years old, I think, at the time. I still think it was a great starting book and a great introduction to Jack O'Connor, to answer an earlier question.

My high school library actually had a copy of Horse and Buggy West! I felt very fortunate to find a copy of this book later in my adult life at a somewhat reasonable price. I enjoy this book thoroughly, having read it several times.

I have to admit, though, that I am also a big fan of Elmer Keith. Different writing styles, different personal styles, different opinions, but both of these gentlemen had "been there and done that" in their own way. You have GOT to respect that if nothing else about each of them! I'd like to think they're off somewhere beside a fire with a dog at their feet, still carrying on their "arguments" in good fun...
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

plowboy 45 wrote:Glad you brought this one up, it's very interesting

Thanks
PLOWBOY
You're very welcome :)
From a classier LG time period.
Pre - caps lock, friends & foes button pushing topics.
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

I,too, grew up reading Mr.O'Connon. If memory serves he moved to Lewiston,Id a very few years before I left California for Boise,Id. So, welcome to Brad O'C. and to remind others that for most of Jack's adult career he was a Professor @ Univ.of Ariz. BUT,for you Texas gents,his first college prof.job.was at Sul Ross St., Alpine,Tx. !!!!!!!!!! Nate :!:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW@5year-ressurection :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

For you too.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

So how did this workout for ya Rusty? 8)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Lastmohecken wrote:
EndGameAK wrote:In the '50s and '60s, as a youth, I subscribed to Outdoor Life just so I could read the latest O'Connor articles. He was a professor of English, at the U. of Idaho, I believe, and he was an excellent writer. No pointy headed, ivory tower academic.

I grew up reading Jack O'Connor, and I have read some of his books. Jack was a good running game shot, and was not bashfull about telling a story regarding a running shot taken. I remember one story about a Running Lion he killed in Africa. He defended shooting the Lion on the run, because it was the last day of the hunt, and he had an expensive Lion license, and he killed it with a heart shot. He also talked about how maybe it wasn't the best thing to do, considering the risks, and when pondering wheather he would take the shot again, he was honest about it, when he said "It probably depends on the state of my blood pressure at the time." Many a time, those words have came back to me, when I think of shots that I taken on running game. And he is absolutely right, when you know that you a can probably get it killed with a running shot, vs letting it run off, never to be seen again, it literally comes down to my blood pressure at the time. :D
I read the same words from a book I have, which was written by Jack. And I have often felt the same way. I grew up when Jack was writing those words. He didn't hunt the high fenced areas, he hunted game in the wide open, and was realistic about it. When you have invested time and money in a hunt, you don't just watch the only chance you have run off when a decently placed running shot can make the day for you, or the entire trip. That's one thing both Jack and Elmer could probably agree on, as neither one was above taking a running shot, they just disagreed on how big a hole was needed, and in some ways both were right, as they often hunted under different conditions, but Keith was often talking about a raking shot at an Elk or something thru the timber, where a bigger hole often helped.

A Remington 700 in .270 with a 2 x 7 Leupold was my go to rifle for nearly 20 yrs, with occasional departures to the big bores, and finally ending up with more medium bores then anything else. But these days, it's usually a .308 win in a Browning BLR that gets the nod. unless I am feeling nostalgic.
NRA Life Member, Patron