OT - Garand - Schuster's adjustable gas plugs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - Garand - Schuster's adjustable gas plugs

Post by AJMD429 »

I was wondering about the difference(s) between the 2-port and 4-port adjustable gas plugs, so I emailed the manufacturer. I just thought I'd pass the answer along, as I've seen a couple recent posts touching on the topic recently.
Matt Schuster wrote:They both function the same way, the two port, does have a little better control, as it vents less gas with each adjustment. But either one will work. We started making the two port simply because it looks like the WW2 gas plug.

Thanks
Matt Schuster
ImageImage

2-port - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=412046
4-port - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=777146
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - Garand - Schuster's adjustable gas plugs

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good to know! :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

OK, why do I need an adjustable plug on My H&R Garand. Is it for better control when reloading ? I just shoot Mil ball.
Perry in Bangor
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I would think this is a good idea for the guys that don't reload for their M1's.for me its a mute deal as I have stashed away alot IMR 4895/AA2520 and a bucket full of 150 gr fmj bullets just to feed mine :lol: .
pete
DAV life member.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

pwl44m wrote:OK, why do I need an adjustable plug on My H&R Garand. Is it for better control when reloading ? I just shoot Mil ball.
Perry in Bangor
As long as all you ever want or need to shoot out of your Garand is Mil ball (or loads using bullets in the same weight range, with powders of the right burn rate, etc), you don't need to give the adjustable plug a second thought.

Me, I'll get a case of stuff like Federal 3006A or AE3006N for $4-$5/box and throw the adjustable plug into the rifle for the duration just to be on the safe side. What I like to pick up at that price is the AE3006M1 load that's tailored for the rifle, but beggars can't be choosers and I only get a crack at it once in a great while.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

where are you finding fed @4.00-5.00 a box??. :shock:
DAV life member.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Molasses wrote:
pwl44m wrote:OK, why do I need an adjustable plug on My H&R Garand. Is it for better control when reloading ? I just shoot Mil ball.
Perry in Bangor
As long as all you ever want or need to shoot out of your Garand is Mil ball (or loads using bullets in the same weight range, with powders of the right burn rate, etc), you don't need to give the adjustable plug a second thought.
a) To use non-mil-spec ammo, as noted.

b) Sometimes it's nice to not have your brass fling into the face of the shooter next to you if your with others, too, so you can adjust it to bypass most of the gas and thereby use it off the bench as a straight-pull bolt-gun.

c) Because a man can't have too many toys, gizmos, and gun-gadgets to tinker with on rainy days. :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

txpete wrote:where are you finding fed @4.00-5.00 a box??. :shock:
PHOT0084.jpg
I work there and can buy factory seconds at employee pricing. :mrgreen:

OTOH, they have rules: being caught reselling it is grounds for being fired, plus limits on how much you can buy per year and that you can't buy more than your paycheck's worth at a time. Plus there's a LOT of competition to get into the ammo room and get what you want before it's gone. Especially this time of year. And being the least bit "overenthusiastic" will come back to haunt you when it's deducted off that next paycheck...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I hope your saving the brass :wink:
DAV life member.