Tell me about the "71"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Tell me about the "71"

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
71's are owned by guys who have always secretly wanted an '86. Ha! This is gonna pee some dudes off. :D Relax, I have a couple of 'em--safe queens mostly.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

Sixgun wrote:Doc,
71's are owned by guys who have always secretly wanted an '86. Ha! This is gonna pee some dudes off. :D Relax, I have a couple of 'em--safe queens mostly.--------Sixgun
71s are owned by guys who know the 70 isn't really "The Rifleman's Rifle." :mrgreen:
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Here some more infos about the great M 71

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=26236
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=1763

For me one of the best leverguns and cartridges ever :!:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Ah, Sixgun, you just had to play the high hand, didn't you? Maybe that's why I only own one 71 and more than a dozen '86s. Victor's beautiful 71s are winning me over just a little bit, though. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

mod71alaska wrote:In the early days in Alaska (before and just after statehood) you'd often see the Model 71 .348 carried by Brown Bear guides. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't taken more big bear in Alaska than any other caliber. After Winchester discontinued making the Model 71 in 1957, it continued to be in high demand in Alaska and very expensive on the used market. I'd call the .348 Model 71 "The Alaska Lever Action Rifle!"
Well said! 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike D. wrote:Ah, Sixgun, you just had to play the high hand, didn't you? Maybe that's why I only own one 71 and more than a dozen '86s. Victor's beautiful 71s are winning me over just a little bit, though. :D
Ha! Yea, 71's sure are a piece of fine machinery. In shooting thousands of rounds, I have never had one hang up or fail to feed in any way. Maybe I choose 86's over 71's the same way the old head collectors turn their nose up at anything made after 1898.

Those guys are always talking Henry's, 66's, engraved guns--you know, the ones we probably will never see. :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I certainly don't qualify as an "old head" collector because I turn up my nose at any 1886 made before 1898. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

The Model 71 was next in development and public offering sequence to Winchester's Model 70. As a result it was dubbed the Model 71.

I like mine, especially after Steve Young of Steve's Gunz ( www.stevesgunz.com ) fixed and improved it. It shoots straight and hits hard.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Mike D. wrote:I certainly don't qualify as an "old head" collector because I turn up my nose at any 1886 made before 1898. :)
Ok so for us not in the know what's the reason for that?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Alan Wood wrote:
Mike D. wrote:I certainly don't qualify as an "old head" collector because I turn up my nose at any 1886 made before 1898. :)
Ok so for us not in the know what's the reason for that?
Initially, it didn't start out at way. Like every other collector I only bought "antique" 1886s, but as time went on and prices rose faster than the space program I began to rethink the process. I like to use my rifles as they were intended and the older guns with BP bores were often great looking but often suffer abysmal bores. Post-1899 Winchesters were given little attention, so my collection direction changed. Between the years 1902 and 1911 Winchesters could be ordered in "BP" calibers but with the then recently introduced nickel steel barrels. Those guns have the smokeless powder frames, same as the .33 W.C.F. ones, and can be used with modern powders without fear of an unexpected "explosion". I especially seek specially ordered Extra Lightweight rifles in the so called Black Powder calibers. During the first decade of the 20th Century Winchester discouraged ordering the new lightweight 1886s in the older calibers but did accept them customers who insisted on a brand new rifle in their favorite caliber. The "late" 1886 EL was cataloged in .33 W.C.F. and .45-70, but some were built in calibers .38-56 W.C.F., .40-65 W.C.F., .40-82 W.C.F., .45-90 W.C.F., and .50 EX. I am fortunate to have located ones in .33 W.C.F., .38-56 W.C.F., .45-70, and .45-90 W.C.F. Examples in .40-82 W.C.F. and .50 EX are known to me but currently out of my limited financial reach. I am a champagne collector on a water diet. :)
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Thank you Mike!

I certainly understand that!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

I did do a search but have not come up with much info.

So I thought instead of starting a new thread I would just add to this one.

Dose anyone know if the Mod71 ever came with a sling stud in the stock and not the fore end ?

Thanks.
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The front sling eye was integral to the forfend cap. You've run into something with a mix?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

Yeah I have a Mod 71 with a stud on the stock but not on the fore end, it doesn't look like it has been broken off the cap.

Dose this look like a factory stud?
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93 ... 040058.jpg

Maybe someone fitted the stud to it.

Here is the fore end cap.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93 ... 040063.jpg

I can get better pics my camera is flat I just need to find the charger.

Edit: it wont let me atach pics because there to big and I don't know how to resize them.
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

The buttstock stud is not factory. The sling attachment on buttstock was inletted held in place by 2 scews for detachable sling swivels. Stud style not original, in my opinion at least. Get an uncle Mikes barrel band attachment for front, sling up and go hunting with your nice 71. Don't worry about originality, let the estate sale folks sweat that one :lol:
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

Thanks.

I am not to worried about the stud I am however very excited to have a Mod 71 been looking for one for a long time.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93 ... 000722.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93 ... 000726.jpg

Cant wait to get some ammo loaded up and take her out and have a shot.
Dave Bateman .

big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Looks like a fine 71, enjoy. A liitle trick for you. Saw a 30-30 shell in half and the neck end makes a great bore guide!
Montana Outfitters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Montana Outfitters »

Got a Winchester 71......1947.......I shoot it a lot............round balls for grouse at around 500 fps, Rcbs cast hard at around 1850 fps and Hornady 200's at 2575 or so.............no extra holes just iorn sights and tipps over Elk just fine.....no chasing them around......just DRT!!!!!!!!! Would I buy another.........sure and a Jap copy .......No if you look hard you can find a used original for less then the Jap prices.........I got mine at the Winchester
show in Cody with bullets,brass, dies and a case for $900 and it has paid me back with a nice elk to eat and is more then willing to keep on feeding me at no additional charge...................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( I just about choked on coffee seeing Mike's post, before looking at the date.....(a little something in my eyes...) He was a good'un.....Knew more than most of us put together....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Doc, got a twin to my Browning 1886, some day I will have time to shoot this one too...

WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

When Winchester laid out their product-release plans, the Model 70 was supposed to be ready for release before the Model 71, hence the numbering. Problems in development, however, caused the Model 70 to be delayed. The result was that the Model 71 was released before the Model 70. The generally accepted date of official release was January 1936. Perhaps the main upgrade from the model 1886 was the improved metallurgy, by which the 1886 platform was made suitable for the .348 cartridge. In the "Dope Bag" column in the January 1936 American Rifleman there was a very brief teaser with the header NEW LEVER ACTION COMING. "To be reviewed next month, a new hunting rifle with improved action, sling, modern stock and peep sights; caliber .348, apparently a rimmed form of the .35 Remington". Obviously the author didn't have any solid information on the new cartridge when he wrote the piece. In the next month's issue, February 1936, Dope Bag author F.C. Ness provided a lengthy (about 2 1/2 pages) write-up on the new rifle and cartridge.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

71/,348WCF combo was designed as a hunters/explorer arm for alaska. out to 250 yards it will take big game. Close up with the 200 grain silvertip it will take kodiak bear. The rifle/cartridge combo was designed to feed slickley under adverse conditions. Those winchester engineers of the 1920's and 30's knew what they were doing. of course,in modern times the puny 348 will bounce off of a black bear and drop 7 feet at 100 yards, making it a barely adequite squirrel rifle ,only if u can get close enough :wink:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

:( I just about choked on coffee seeing Mike's post, before looking at the date.....(a little something in my eyes...) He was a good'un.....Knew more than most of us put together....
I had the exact same reaction Blaine. He and I were going to get together on his family's ranch in Hollister to go shoot but we could never get our schedules right (he lived around Sacramento IIRC) and would have to come down to the ranch. I feel bad I wasn't even around here when he passed on. :cry:

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote::( I just about choked on coffee seeing Mike's post, before looking at the date.....(a little something in my eyes...) He was a good'un.....Knew more than most of us put together....
Mike was a great guy. Kinda tired of losing all the good 'uns...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

To be honest when I first traded comments or barbs with him I didn't really care for the guy .

But later on I saw I had jumped a little to quick . He checked out several Winchesters for me a couple years before he left this world . I never asked he sent me a PM and offerred which I thought was way above and beyond .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

I really enjoy shooting and hunting with my Winchester 71 (1937) vintage. The 348 is a great cartridge for hunting, I find it accurate and loaded with Hornady 200 gr puts game down fast. With the Aoudad, I had a shot through the front shoulder at an angle and passed completely through. Range approx. 60 yrds. I also shoot a 50 Alaskan but need further load development with it. If its levergun power you want, the 50 Alaskan in a 71 would fit the bill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Ragnor wrote:I really enjoy shooting and hunting with my Winchester 71 (1937) vintage. The 348 is a great cartridge for hunting, I find it accurate and loaded with Hornady 200 gr puts game down fast. With the Aoudad, I had a shot through the front shoulder at an angle and passed completely through. Range approx. 60 yrds. I also shoot a 50 Alaskan but need further load development with it. If its levergun power you want, the 50 Alaskan in a 71 would fit the bill.
Very nice photo...good looking 71 Deluxe and trophy! A very happy guy in the middle, too! :D