Score!!! Mint condition Winchester 94, pre-safety, $225.00

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Score!!! Mint condition Winchester 94, pre-safety, $225.00

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

Bought my first Winchester levergun today...couldn't pass it up. It's a mint condition - I mean like perfect - 94AE in 30-30, pre safety with a serial number of 5,605,xxx (1984?). I've got a safe full oof Marlins, so this is something of an event (I spoke to them about it, told them that they had a new little brother, and asked them not to pick on him...even though he's kind of funny looking). So the questions abound:

1) Who still has spare parts for sale?
2) What spares are essential?
3) Recommendations for a receiver sight (the receiver side is not drilled).
4) Would I be a philistine if I drilled the stock for a sling swivel? Alternatives?
5) Tips and tricks?
6) Essential upgrades, trigger parts, etc?

Be gentle with a Winchester virgin. :mrgreen:
Hobie

Re: Score!!! Mint condition Winchester 94, pre-safety, $225.00

Post by Hobie »

Sling swivels? :roll: :wink: :lol: Whatever. Excellent price though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

Hobie wrote:Sling swivels? :roll: :wink: :lol: Whatever. Excellent price though.
I sorta figured that would be defiling the thing.

I bought ithe gun from a guy at work who bought it for that price last year and lost interest.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Defiling it? There's no reason not to put a decent sling on it. I put them on all of mine, including the pre-64's and pre-wars. Mounting the front stud in the fore end band is cleaner looking than the usual band around the mag tube. I've heard but can't confirm that Marlin fore end bands fit the Winchesters and have a stud already on them. If you get one, get the screw, they arent the same as Winchester band screws.

As for spare parts, a firing pin is about all I'd worry about. If you don't dry fire it, the firing pin may well last longer than you.

The Lyman reciever sights are good, the Wiliams Foolproof don't look as nice to many of us, but may well be a bit stouter regarding a hit on the top of the slide. The Foolproof model is a much better sight than their 5-D model sight. If you drill and tap it for the sight, you can use a post-64 Weaver side mount base as a guide to get the holes where the factory would. Snug it on with the front screw and it will give a perfect index of where the holes belong. I believe they cost less than $10 for the base alone.

If you get tired of it and want to find a good home for it, I may be interested.

Pre 64 with sling mounted and a few other things done,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I JUST missed a Marlin in .357 last weekend for $250, so it is encouraging to know that there are a few deals like that out there yet. Congratulations on your good fortune. I remember ALMOST picking up one as you describe for the same price, and it seemed like a good deal - ten years ago. The icing was a Redfield reciever sight, but I was loading for so many different calibers at the time that I decided not to add yet one more.
seasprite
Levergunner

Post by seasprite »

We need pics I have a pre-safety 94ae it my favorite rifle it shoots so good some buddies of mine have started calling it 1 of 1000 your Marlin's may get a little jealous when take your 94ae for a walk more than them :lol:.

Here's a pic of mine.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... CF0198.jpg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

1) Who still has spare parts for sale? Winchester Bob...
Jmiller can help you out with others or go online
2) What spares are essential? None....maybe a rear peep site or tang site
dont you dare drill and tap......semi buckhorn, marbles peep, or lyman tang
4) Would I be a philistine if I drilled the stock for a sling swivel? Alternatives?
use the regular magazine tube thingamajob?....and a leather buttstock sleeve
with cartridge holders.....
5) Tips and tricks? none...just shoot the heck out of it!
Talk to our master gunny
Steve Young
4525 Alamosa St.
Port Arthur, TX 77642
(409) 984-5473
steve@stevesgunz.com
Sass# 6765
alias Nate Kiowa Jones
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! Congratulations!!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

RIHMFIRE wrote:.....3) Recommendations for a receiver sight (the receiver side is not drilled).
dont you dare drill and tap......semi buckhorn, marbles peep, or lyman tang

Just curious, why would it be bad to drill and tap for a receiver sight, but not bad to drill and tap for a tang sight?

I'm sort of surprised when people say not to put decent sights or sling on something, so long as it's well done. It isnt like 94's are exactly rare. There's only been 7 or 8 milion of them made. Early guns in very good condition, I can sort of see it, but later guns, I just don't get it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very good. on the number 556x,xxx came in 1989.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Crosseyed Bob wrote:Bought my first Winchester levergun today...couldn't pass it up. It's a mint condition - I mean like perfect - 94AE in 30-30, pre safety with a serial number of 5,605,xxx (1984?). I've got a safe full oof Marlins, so this is something of an event (I spoke to them about it, told them that they had a new little brother, and asked them not to pick on him...even though he's kind of funny looking). So the questions abound:

5) Tips and tricks?

Be gentle with a Winchester virgin. :mrgreen:
Way to go on the price Bob, you did good.
Don't worry about the Marlins picking on the lone Winchester, they'll get along.

>Browning for starts. They are the official Winchester parts source.

>None. In over 40 years of shooting Win 94s I've never broken or had break anything. I do keep a full set of screws, a firing pin, and a carrier spring on hand as well as some miscellaneous parts.

>Williams makes a FP version called the 94 SE. It uses the two rear scope mount holes for mounting. Excellent sight. Much easier than drilling and tapping for a side mount sight.

>Absolutely not. The rifle is a tool, you need to make it suite you. I've put sling swivel sets on Win 94s in the past. Just make sure you or whoever does it gets the stock hole drilled straight and centered, and don't use the silly while spacer. They just don't look right on a lever gun.
I think it's Dixie gun works that sells a sling that just slides over the rifle stock and barrel when you need and comes right off when you don't. Never bought one, but have been tempted.

5) Tips and tricks?
Keep the action clean and lubed. There are two places that are prone to wear: the finger lever pin in the bolt and the carrier screw(s). Pre 64s are the worst on this but post 64s (the AEs are the same as pre-64s) wear too.
Keep these areas lubed and it will live a long life. I also put a dab of sticky grease on the carrier where the springs rides.

>Trigger job with an action polishing and sear work. You can get those triggers down to a good serviceable weight, but it will take sear work and if you're not comfortable doing that a gunsmith familiar with the rebounding hammer action is mandatory. Also clean out the firing pin channel in the bolt and make sure there is no debris or burrs on anything.

And, feed it good ammo.

That's really about it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Let's see where to begin... Congrats, that's a great price.

Yeah, put a sling on it if that's what you want to do. It ain't like they didn't make a boat load of AE models... let's do the math, pre-USRA mdl 94s (that'd be all Top Ejects except the 1894-1994 Centennial models), numbered in the 5 miliion range, and it took them 98 years to do it, an average of 51K/year. AE models were built until early 2006, and were numbered into the 7 million range! That's 24 years to build 2 million +, or about 83K/year! Final answer, SOME were built with sling swivels installed at the factory!! Ok, maybe not any AEs, but still. It's a hunting rifle, still one of the best for NA game (IMNSHO!), and a sling is a super way to carry a hunting tool too and from the field.

None of my 94s or even the 1894s are safe queens. Yes, there's a couple that get shot more than any of the others, (ok, a LOT more), but... the ONLY parts I've heard of breaking were the carrier spring and the firing pin. Now... as for losing parts... that'd be more likely! And those would likely be the small plug screws for the sight mounts (either the ones on the left side receiver sights or the ones on top for scopes) when you install same, but later want to put it back to factory barrel sights; also might be the carrier spring screw or the guide rail screws. All of which are available from the factory... for a time yet. See Winchester Arms website.

And, yes, I still thought that even all the AE were drilled & tapped for receiver sights; guess I ain't noticed till I looked that Winchester seems to like to take all their pictures of that bugly right side of the frame!!! :twisted: :twisted: But, side receiver sight fill screws are not included in their parts catalogs from either 2005 or 2008!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

XS also makes a peep sight that will mount to the already drilled and tapped scope mount holes.
Ricky

DWWC
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I heard that model year really sucked...I'll tell ya what, I'll give you what you paid for it just to be nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1) Who still has spare parts for sale? - See answer #2, below

2) What spares are essential? - Spare parts are not indicated

3) Recommendations for a receiver sight (the receiver side is not drilled). - But the top rails arre, for a scope mount. The Williams FP94AE and 5D94AE will fit the two rear holes, as will the XS Peep

4) Would I be a philistine if I drilled the stock for a sling swivel? Not really - but > Alternatives? - There are slip-on slings available, that cup the butt and encircle the barrel/magazine

5) Tips and tricks? - Don't get so excited that you shoot yerself ;)

6) Essential upgrades, trigger parts, etc? - 15 boxes of ammo :mrgreen:

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Malamute- I'm just guessing, but I'd say that grouse didn't fly too far after you hit it !!! :D :D
556A2
Levergunner

Post by 556A2 »

Crosseyed Bob wrote:
Hobie wrote:Sling swivels? :roll: :wink: :lol: Whatever. Excellent price though.
I sorta figured that would be defiling the thing.
A sling to a rifle is a holster to a handgun. :wink:

I'd also get a Williams FP made for the 94AE instead of D&Ting the receiver for a side mounted peep sight.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:mrgreen: Another excellent grab !!!

Shoot the heck out of it !! Have fun !! :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a heck of a deal! Congratulation, now just get it to the range and report back to us. :D
NRA Life Member
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

Thanks to all for the replies, and sorry for the delay in responding (had a fearsome honey-do list this weekend).

I'm having a little technical problem - when I load a round through the loading gate, it doesn't seem to be retained by anything...so the round slips back behind the gate. Once that happens, I can't load another round. Anybody have any ideas?
I ordered the Williams sight that many of you mentioned, and a Marlin front band. If the Marlin band fits, I'll report back. If not, I'll drill the other one, thread a stud in, and tig it in place. Going to get a screw kit and a few other bits and pieces because I just don't feel right not having them.

Thanks again for the replies.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

Crosseyed Bob wrote:Thanks to all for the replies, and sorry for the delay in responding (had a fearsome honey-do list this weekend).

I'm having a little technical problem - when I load a round through the loading gate, it doesn't seem to be retained by anything...so the round slips back behind the gate. Once that happens, I can't load another round. Anybody have any ideas?
I ordered the Williams sight that many of you mentioned, and a Marlin front band. If the Marlin band fits, I'll report back. If not, I'll drill the other one, thread a stud in, and tig it in place. Going to get a screw kit and a few other bits and pieces because I just don't feel right not having them.

Thanks again for the replies.
Downloaded a manual, and discovered that my technical problem is as designed. I guess that's one point that the Marlins have over the Winchesters. No matter, there arn't too many circumstances where that matters anyway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Crosseyed Bob wrote:I'm having a little technical problem - when I load a round through the loading gate, it doesn't seem to be retained by anything...so the round slips back behind the gate. Once that happens, I can't load another round. Anybody have any ideas?.
Very common, the loading gate is a tad far forward on the side so loaded cartridges do tend to slip behind the "spring cover". One of the best ways to combat this is to leave just the rim of the cartridge protruding out thru the loading gate and use the nose of the next cartridge to push it all the way in. As the magazine gets full, spring pressure will want to push that cartridge back out... but with a little practice, you'll be able to hold it in with just the end of your pinky... I hold the rifle in my left hand, palm & gate up and with the muzzle downrange, I can reach the gate with my pinky and as I push each cartridge in, I just hold the rim against the edge and grab another... then when I loaded all I want, use the pinky of the other hand to get that last rim inside.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm curious what the manual says about the loading problem, it sounds like a problem to me. None of mine prevent me from loading more rounds at any time I want to. Some are more stiff about it. You can generally polish the rib on the back side of the gate and clear that up. The rib acts as a ramp to push the rim forward enough to let the next round open the gate. They can have burrs and rough spots that hang up and make loading more rounds difficult. Pre-64's and pre-war guns don't seem to have that diffuculty much. Mine load slick without any worry about the gate. I generally grab a full load (6 rounds), put the bullet ends between the fingers of the left hand, and load each round fully into the gate with the right.

If you take the spring cover (loading gate) off to work on it, be careful about getting the screw started straight so as not to cross thread it.

Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

Malamute wrote:I'm curious what the manual says about the loading problem, it sounds like a problem to me. None of mine prevent me from loading more rounds at any time I want to. Some are more stiff about it. You can generally polish the rib on the back side of the gate and clear that up. The rib acts as a ramp to push the rim forward enough to let the next round open the gate. They can have burrs and rough spots that hang up and make loading more rounds difficult. Pre-64's and pre-war guns don't seem to have that diffuculty much. Mine load slick without any worry about the gate. I generally grab a full load (6 rounds), put the bullet ends between the fingers of the left hand, and load each round fully into the gate with the right.

If you take the spring cover (loading gate) off to work on it, be careful about getting the screw started straight so as not to cross thread it.

The manual says to make sure the rim of the previous cartridge should stay out until you load the last round, then push them all the way in. Polishing the back of the loading gate seems like it's certainly worth a try though.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the loading gates on ALL of my Winchester 94's, both top-eject and AE's, cammed the already-loaded cartridge back further into the mag tube when the nose of the next cartridge to be loaded was pused against it as it went in.

Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

UPDATE:

The Marlin 336 rear band fits the 94AE perfectly, so no need for the clamp on style sling mount on the magazine tube. One needs to purchase the band and screw for the Marlin 336. You need the Marlin screw because the thread is up against the head, rather than on the tip as is the Winchester. On mine, I had to file a tiny bit of metal off of the corner of the screw groove in the barrel to allow the Marlin screw to line up with the other side of the band. The Marlin band is a bit thicker than the original Winchester, but the shape is perfect and fits the wood and barrel nicely. Now to muster the courage to drill for the rear post....
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Crosseyed Bob wrote:UPDATE:

The Marlin 336 rear band fits the 94AE perfectly, so no need for the clamp on style sling mount on the magazine tube. One needs to purchase the band and screw for the Marlin 336. You need the Marlin screw because the thread is up against the head, rather than on the tip as is the Winchester. On mine, I had to file a tiny bit of metal off of the corner of the screw groove in the barrel to allow the Marlin screw to line up with the other side of the band. The Marlin band is a bit thicker than the original Winchester, but the shape is perfect and fits the wood and barrel nicely. Now to muster the courage to drill for the rear post....
Bob,
That's pretty good news. Could you tell us where you got the Marlin barrel band and screw and the part numbers?
It sounds like a good idea to try.

joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Shooting with a sling will make u a better shot in the field on off hand shots on game. Install whatever sites enhances the type of shooting you're looking to do. All of my rifles and shotguns have slings. On most, i've added whatever sighting system to match the game hunted. If your into resale value, stick it in a safe the way it is and never shot it. :cry:
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Congrats on your steal. In the end, you must make yourself happy if accessaries are in order? Why not shoot it or hunt with it for a season or two to see what you need on it?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

J Miller wrote:
Crosseyed Bob wrote:UPDATE:

Bob,
That's pretty good news. Could you tell us where you got the Marlin barrel band and screw and the part numbers?
It sounds like a good idea to try.

joe
I bought them both from Midway:

Rear band: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=895209

and

Rear band screw: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=616552
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

S.B. wrote:Congrats on your steal. In the end, you must make yourself happy if accessaries are in order? Why not shoot it or hunt with it for a season or two to see what you need on it?
Steve
I have added a Williams FP sight, and now the sling mount. Nothing else is needed as far as I can see. I like my lever guns as simple as possible.