1902 Winchester Model 1886 TD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

1902 Winchester Model 1886 TD

Post by 6pt-sika »

We had a customer bring an 1886 Winchester in the shop yesterday for a good cleaning and maintance !

I kinda like this thing since it's a take down , has a PG , a half octagon barrel and has the button mag !

The barrel i "assume" has been trimmed a bit as it measures 22" .

Still it looks pretty decent for a 109 year old rifle . Inside the barrels a bit frosted but shootable !

Did I mention it's 45-70 !

The seriel number is a 6 digit and begins with 126xxx making it a 1902 vintage !

Now does this look like an original Winchester front sight for an 1886 ?

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1902 Winchester Model 1886 TD

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think that's a Lyman #4 on the front. I believe those were common on 86's. Mike D. will know for sure. A very nice rifle with a lot of desirable features.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The front sight base is normal to winchester short rifles.. Std barrel length would be 22"....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
irl104
Levergunner

Post by irl104 »

Looks like a nice and probably correct rifle with a lot of special features. A really nice piece.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This gun isn't for sale as I know it at the moment but I very well may make an offer when the guy comes back to pick it up :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

So it looks like a nickel steel extra-lite take-down with 1/2 mag, and 1/2 round, 1/2 octagon barrel, and a pistol grip stock. I like a shotgun butt instead of the rifle butt however, I could live with it. Let me know if the same walks in to your shop in 40-82. :)
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

6pt-sika wrote:We had a customer bring an 1886 Winchester in the shop yesterday for a good cleaning and maintance !

I kinda like this thing since it's a take down , has a PG , a half octagon barrel and has the button mag !

The barrel i "assume" has been trimmed a bit as it measures 22" .

Still it looks pretty decent for a 109 year old rifle . Inside the barrels a bit frosted but shootable !

That rifle hasn't been modified or cut down.........it's the unadulterated "Real McCoy".

I'd love to see that rifle after somebody like Doug Turnbull restored the wood & metal finish.

It would be a work of art.........A CLASSIC !! :mrgreen:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Catches ones eye alright. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It's a fine all original Extra Lightweight Take Down in collectors favorite caliber. DO NOT let Turnbull, or anyone else for that matter, near that gun. It is a special order piece and should be kept all original. A lot of folks are confused and believe that the .33 W.C.F. rifles in a similar configuration are LWs, but they are not. The Winchester catalogs list them as "Rifle, .33...". ELs have 22" barrels and come in mostly .45-70, with a few in other calibers that were specially ordered. I have a LWTD with 1/2 Oct barrel in .38-56 W.C.F. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I should have mentioned this in the first reply, but if you are interested PM me with the complete serial number and I will get the factory information sheet for you.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: I could live with it. Let me know if the same walks in to your shop in 40-82. :)
Sometimes you'd be amazed what comes in the door !

We got a package from Griffin and Howe a couple weeks ago with NO IDEA who it was for . Thursday before Xmas this guy walks in with a reciept for it . He'd had it at G&H for sale for about 6 months and he had come in to pick it up and take it home . After a discussion he decided to leave it , it was a matched set of AyA #1 sidelock 12 gauge game guns with 25" 2 3/4" IC/XF with the little gold 1 & 2 in the guns and it was all ina nice motor case ! Guns were easily 98% , The guy wanted x amount of dollars so before I listed them on GB I called two fellows and offered them to both with our commission attached . I sold them in exactly ONE HOUR ! Of course the price the guy wanted with our commision was less then you could get one for now !

I wish I'd had 7 G's in my pocket at that moment !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think this is maybe the 6th or 7th original 1886 that I've ever had in my hands !

I still like my old original Marlin 1895's , but this thing can grow on a fellow PDQ :lol:
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have that same type of Lyman front sight on a 92. What do you suppose the white insert is made of ? BTW that rifle is sweet just the way it is. Suppose it is the same way as a 94 in that the barrel is plainly marked Nickel Steel is another special option?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Marvin, the Lyman No 4 has a ivory insert. NS was standard for the .25-35 W.C.F., 30 W.C.F. and .32 WS. NS barrels were a special order item on the other calibers.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Figured it might be ivory.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well I learned sumtin today. I have the same front sight on my 1894 with the 26 inch round barrel, I thought it was something homemade. WHADDAIKNOW. Ok so can anybody tell me what rear sight would go well with it? The rear on mine is filed down to almost nothing. Thanks guys. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This rifles gonna cause me to do a little reading tonight !

I just dug out my old copy of "The Winchester Book" by George Madis !
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Mike D. wrote:It's a fine all original Extra Lightweight Take Down in collectors favorite caliber. DO NOT let Turnbull, or anyone else for that matter, near that gun. It is a special order piece and should be kept all original. A lot of folks are confused and believe that the .33 W.C.F. rifles in a similar configuration are LWs, but they are not. The Winchester catalogs list them as "Rifle, .33...". ELs have 22" barrels and come in mostly .45-70, with a few in other calibers that were specially ordered. I have a LWTD with 1/2 Oct barrel in .38-56 W.C.F. :)

You're right about not letting anyone mess with that gun.

It's the best example of an unadulterated Winchester 1886 I've seen for a long time.

Lesser examples have sold for $2500.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

fordwannabe wrote:Well I learned sumtin today. I have the same front sight on my 1894 with the 26 inch round barrel, I thought it was something homemade. WHADDAIKNOW. Ok so can anybody tell me what rear sight would go well with it? The rear on mine is filed down to almost nothing. Thanks guys. Tom
I think the flat top one would be a good pick