30-30 loads for a 200 grain cast gas check bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

30-30 loads for a 200 grain cast gas check bullet

Post by KirkD »

I'm hoping to start load development for my new RCBS bullet which drops from the mould at 200 grains. There are tons of published load data for 180 grain, 170 grain, 150 grain, etc. bullets but not a lot for 200 grain cast bullets. For those of you that shoot 200 grain bullets (plus or minus 5 grains), do you have a favourite load using IMR 3031 or RL-7? Have you chronographed or pressure tested your load?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 loads for a 200 grain cast gas check bullet

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Kirk, have not pressure tested it, but this past fall loaded up a hundred 205gr w/GC wheel weights with 27.5 grains of H4895. Managed a ten shot string of 1810 fps w/chrono 15' from muzzle. High was 1855fps and low was 1793fps. Very comfortable load.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Kirk,

I have the same RCBS bullet, and mine weighs just under 200 grains as cast and a bit over 200 lubed and checked. I shoot a moderate load of 18.5 grains of 5744 in a Winchester 1894. In a Browning 1885 Traditional Hunter I also shoot an NOE 311299 (copy of the Lyman bullet of the same number) over the same charge. This bullet weighs a bit over 200 grains. I have not chronographed these loads, but I believe I'm probably getting a bit over 1500 fps with each. They take the 200 meter ram down nicely, and that's my main concern.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Kirk,
I have not worked with the powders you mentioned with 200 gr bullets in the 30-30. I have a 205 gr cast bullet that is seated .60" deep to touch a 35 gr charge of H414. That load was tested for pressure and velocity at a ballistics lab....
24" barrel / WLR primer / Winchester Brass / 2,040 f.p.s. / 36,000 CUP (30-30 SAMMI MAP 38,000 CUP).

Cimmaron Red,
I have chronographed 18 grs of 5744 (early lot) under a 192 gr cast bullet (RCBS 180 SP in ww +2% tin) in the 30-30 and it went a bit over 1,700 f.p.s. in a 22" barrel. Primer was WLR. Accuracy was very good in my 788 Remington. Had some MOA groups at 300M.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Thanks for the information, John.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I load the Lee 200gr (flat pointed) over 32gr of AA4350. Works for me anyway.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

No to get this thread off track but - Can you cycle 200gr bullet through any action? In other words, can they be seated to normal OAL and is the nose profile generally such that it will work in all firearms thus chambered?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

86er wrote:No to get this thread off track but - Can you cycle 200gr bullet through any action? In other words, can they be seated to normal OAL and is the nose profile generally such that it will work in all firearms thus chambered?
they cycle fine for me in several 1894 winchesters, and in the winch big bore 307. i have not done a lot of load development yet, and the one 94 i wanted to use them in to start with, just let them keyhole.......one more problem for me to figure out someday.
i think they might be really useful in the 307 if i can get them to shoot well.
cable
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

86er,

The RCBS bullet works fine from the magazine of a lever gun as much of the bullet intrudes into the case when seated to the crimp groove. The 311299 I mentioned is suitable for a single-shot only. A .30-30 loaded with this bullet will not feed from a tubular magazine, and though it can be loaded singly in a Winchester 1894, it cannot be unloaded easily without being fired. The bullet will not clear the chamber when the bolt is moved fully back.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Gentlemen, thank you for all your replies. Between the info in this thread and the Quickload info that Rimfire supplied in the other thread ( http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... estimation ), I have some very good info to begin my load development. It might be a view months yet before I report, depends on the weather and my free time. Thanks again.

86er, the RCBS bullet is advertised as a 180 grain bullet but when cast from wheel weights drops at around 200 grains. The nose profile and dimensions allow it to cycle through just fine. The additional weight is in both density as well as inside the case neck (i.e., the shape and volume of the bullet is the same, it is just that wheel weights result in a higher density and heavier bullet than the alloy for which the RCBS mould was designed). Bottom Line: There is no problem cycling the RCBS bullet through a '94.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

The Lee bullet, modified by flat pointing it, works fine in my 336 Marlin. I size it to .302 and patch it back up to .312. No gas check. Load it to an OAL that feeds and ejects fine.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I found this at Load Swap:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks, Ji, for that info. I hadn't thought of looking at load swap.