Maybe you can help this Model 94 Winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Teton
Levergunner

Maybe you can help this Model 94 Winchester?

Post by Teton »

Searching the forums didn't confirm much....

Thanks for letting me join the community!

Short:

I have a top eject Model 94, the serial number lands it 1970-1971 production year, it is missing the cartidge guides.
I bought the screws, realized it was missing the guides, and I took it to a gunsmith. He had the rifle for 2 months and finally said he couldn't find the correct guides, he'd tried 4 different sets with either the bolt hole in the wrong location or the thickness was not right. I believe he said one of the sets he tried was an angle eject set.

I can find a few places selling cartridge guides online, but now I don't know if I will have the same problem as the gunsmith of getting a set that does not work.

The Filler Story:

It has the same story as a million other model 94 rifles, it's a bare bones plain jane not worth much Rifle Passed from father to son, and again to son. This one definetly has the common loose trigger too.

It wasn't even grandpa's first model 94 (that 1912 model was passed to his oldest son)

The story gets interesting around 1976, the Teton dam gave way and destroyed most of Eastern Idaho, my Grandpa's ranch out in the middle of no where Sugar City was completely washed away and ripped apart, his tractor was washed into a sink hole and filled back in so just part of the wheel was sticking out (it was still like that in 1998- no point in digging it out). When the waters subsided he returned to a vacant mud hole where his house had been, at that time the only thing he owned was the pick-up he evacutaed in. My dad said he was always a Cowboy, he pulled up his boots and got to work rebuilding. A couple days of rebuilding passed and his horses found their way home- all but one, which was killed in the flood. His sons came to help and that's when someone noticed a bit of wood poking up. It ended up being this Winchester Rifle. It was one of the few things he recovered from the wreckage.

Before the flood, he had to drive the horses over to new greens and he carried this rifle as a tool and probably wore his cowboy hat the whole time treking around the mountains. He was still doing this up until his death, although he had a 4x4 atv when he was too old to ride the horses. The Rifle was in a gun cabinet by the door with a few other rifles, the other rifles, and the cabinet were never found.

I don't know what kind of treatment the Rifle had after the flood, my uncle says some of his step sons tried to clean it with no success, my guess this is when the cartridge guides were lost. My grandpa took the rifle and nailed it to his mantle of the new house and that's where it stayed for a long time. My grandpa died in 1999, no one wanted the old mantle piece, my dad took it down to find it was still fully loaded. We shipped it back to California where we were living then, but we moved to idaho again in 2001, my dad never fired the rifle, this past christmas 2011 I told him I was going with a friend to shoot some guns, he asked if I could take the Model 94 and have it cleaned and looked over. We ended up with a memorable father son moment when he passed the rifle to me.

He also gave me a box of ammo, just as old as the rifle, I cleaned the gun and took it out on christmas I put a round in the chamber- I wasn't sure if I was holding a bomb or not but I worked up enough courage to pull the trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33gUTbI9-Hk

The rifle is really scarred up, chunks of blueing have been scrapped off and 'patina' took it's place, the wooden stalks are pretty chewed up too. When I finally got the magazine screw to turn the cap didn't budge, I pryed the cap off and pulled the spring out and dirt went everywhere and made the whole house smell like a swamp, but the internal parts all cleaned up good, barrel is spotless now everything moves smoothly, but no cartridge guides.

My dad made the leather sling + painting work on it- it was for arrows but the Bow he made eventually snapped and he put the rifle in there.
Shoulder section

-Doyle
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Maybe you can help this Model 94 Winchester?

Post by 20cows »

You need post-64 cartridge guides. The pre-64s had the screw holes in a different place. I don't believe top-eject or angle eject matters, as long as you have .30-30 guides which are by far the most common. Here's a set listed on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-MODE ... 20c6282f2a

The guide screws are pretty much the same for all models and you can get them from Winchester/Browning (could get the guides there, too).

It's a great thing to see the old girl put back into service. :D
Last edited by 20cows on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

20cows wrote:It's a great thing to see the old girl put back into service. :D
+1 !!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Welcome to the forum, Teton!

Let's see now, this is your first post, it has a great story and includes some great pictures. You fit right in here! :D

Thanks for posting, and I hope to hear more on your progress with this Winchester.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome......that's a treasure for sure.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome Teton, U appear to have read up on the "Rules".
2 months for a "Gunsmith" to figure out He caint put cartridge guides in a Mod 94 Winchester, I think I wouldn"t be taking anymore Guns to Him. Hang around this Fire and We/They will get it goin for Ya.
Not Implying anything here but "What" exactly is the Gun doing or Not doing ?
I Like that Quiver esp the artwork. I'll shut up Now.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire.. :D Great first post, love to hear how the Winchester turns out and by the way your Dad is quite an artist.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Teton wrote: It has the same story as a million other model 94 rifles, it's a bare bones plain jane not worth much Rifle Passed from father to son, and again to son. This one definetly has the common loose trigger too.

-Doyle

That little bit of information there makes your rifle priceless (maybe not at an auction house, but hopefully priceless to you and your family)

My most valued rifle is a post -64 model 94 Ranger (one of the cheaper models) passed down to me. I hope to pass it along to my nephew some day along with the story of his grandpa's rifle too
----- Doug
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think you have a priceless family heirloom. Hope you've got that written down someplace safe. Great job on your first post! Pics, story and a levergun.

You should easily be able to get that '94 up and running. Best of luck and tell us the end result.
Old Law Dawg
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great story Teton! Welcome
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Welcome Teton
Great story & pics
ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The guides for the AE will work with a TE... as long as they are for the .30-30 or it's sister cartridges: .25-35, .32-40, 32 WS & .38-55. In early pre-64 Winchester 94s (or model 1894 as it was known back then), the .25-35 and .35-55 used different guides. Major difference in the guides between pre and post '64 mdl 94s is that the "pre" guides screwed in from the inside, and post '64 rifles had the guide screwed in from the outside of the receiver... making them much easier to replace. Once you get the guides, you can probably install them without disassembling the gun. Just push the bolt to the rear, slip the guides into their slots from the top, just under where the bolt rides. (I just removed both from my '67 Canadian Centennial Trapper and reinstalled them to confirm). Using a proper hollow ground screwdriver tip in a magnetic holder is a boon to doin' so. You have to keep the bolt back and push the carrier (sometimes called a "lifter" to its "down" position to do this. Keep the side you're working on "down" and level. It'll make the sliding the new part into proper position a bit easier. If one end or the other gets too far down into the action, using the magnetic driver holder will help you pull it back "up" into its slot.
pwl44m wrote:2 months for a "Gunsmith" to figure out He caint put cartridge guides in a Mod 94 Winchester, I think I wouldn"t be taking any ... Guns to Him.
Perry
+1
And, yes; Image and Welcome to the Forum.
From Numrich Gun Parts reference numbers 19 & 21:
p/n: 301110 Cartridge Guide, Left $13.15
p/n: 301190 Cartridge Guide, Right $10.05

Hope the above helps. Yes, great 1st post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Teton
Levergunner

Post by Teton »

Thanks for all the replies! Wow

I think I'll buy the guides you just linked, Midwestguns has the AE guides for about $50.

I'm hoping to keep it as-is, all the damage is more of a badge of honor. Besides, there's countless pristine 94's in the world already.
I wont be sanding the nicks out of the wood, or re-blueing.
How do I tell if they are 'original' guides? I know recently winchester died and is just a name because the rifles are made over seas now. I'd much rather have some US produced Winchester parts.
Not Implying anything here but "What" exactly is the Gun doing or Not doing ?
I've been taking it out shooting anyway, just single shot, without the guides it tosses the unspent rounds in the magazine out the top. I found a diagram on midwestgunworks.com and determined I was missing some parts. First I thought I was only missing the screws and the internal-mounting were the guides, but the screws came and wouldn't thread because the guides weren't there.

It shoots really straight, which is saying something because I've never been into guns and never fired one until a couple months before getting this 94. My dad also gave me an excam .38 Special Darringer aim is terrible. He made a ''case'' for that one too.
I guess he made the handles as well, because the plastic ones broke off and he cut aluminum grips for it.
My dad used to make a living selling paintings and getting paid to do airbrushing on people's cars. I borrowed his paint guns and repainted my motorcycle a few years ago. --and I fixed, then utterly ruined his aircompressor doing it... :/

This was also the first time for me working on a gun, I had about all the parts taken out and layed out on the table and it wasn't too hard putting it back together, except I was trying to put the trigger screw in the lifter screw slot and wasted an hour trying to hold the trigger leaf spring assembly and trying to turn the wrong screw wondering why the threads wouldn't catch. Those two screws look close but vary just enough to not be interchangeable.

2 months for a "Gunsmith" to figure out He caint put cartridge guides in a Mod 94 Winchester, I think I wouldn"t be taking any ... Guns to Him.
Perry

I was getting worried! It's definetly a priceless heirloom to me, and the gunsmith's shop was full of high-end firearms, plus they were hectically busy, but he didn't charge me anything, and he went through the gun and cleaned it very thourghly. I didn't think it would ever look this good.
I mean this winchester spent about a week under some of the nastiest water and mud there's ever been- not including the process it went through to be extracted from the cabinet and the house. I imagine it was something like the last penny in the piggy bank- you turn it upside down and shake it until it falls out.

Thanks again for the replies, you're all a great source of information!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Like the book! Your dad's a talented and imaginative fellow! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Teton
Levergunner

Post by Teton »

Thanks!

it was a bit of a bidding war, but I won the cartridge guides. Can't wait for them to get here.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great... :D Please keep us posted.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Teton
Levergunner

Post by Teton »

It works great!

I took a guess on which direction the guides go in- no instructions. Then went to the local wal-mart and bought a box of Federal brand 170 grain 30-30.

I'm not sure if it was an off day, or the new ammo threw me off, but I couldn't hit squat, maybe I was used to the 150 grain WIN Super X brand- probably just me, but I had a hard time hitting a soda can at 15-20 yards. = time to practice more.

It was still a great experience sending a round down range racking the lever and watching the empty shells fly over my shoulder.
It's been a few decades since this has been a functioning rifle. Even so I think this rifle has had a lot of use, I noticed the worn spots on the lever and trigger are from a hand holding it and you can see the groove around the wood stock of a thumb- My grandpa would have been the only one to get use out of it before it was taken out of service.

I need to get a cowboy hat to go with it.
and
I'll try to get a video next time out.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:oops: Yep, shoulda told ya that the guides go in with the slot angled so it goes from bottom rear to top front? Or, the rounded end goes forward.

Shootin' at 15 to 20 yards always throws my accuracy off. I can just never seem to get straight in my head where the trajectory is at that range. (Actually, if sighted-in the way I normally do it, I'll only be ¾" below the line of sight, but I seldom think of it in those terms...) If I can... I always start off testing at 25 yards from a supported bench, with the target straight and level in front of the muzzle. In that way, I'm not encountering any upward or downward drift in trajectory (not that it really means much at that distance), and supported gives the best chance to have my "shaking" removed from the equation! Once I see a group there, (and am satisfied with it), I move to 50 and then to 100. For my hunting guns I always sight in for 3" high at 100. That usually gives me a 6" area for "minute of deer" out to 200 yards. My range estimation can be off a bit, and still be within the vitals when I make the shot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Just because a guy's a gunsmith, doesn't mean he knows Winchesters.

Wayne Novak is an artist when it comes to pistols, but I doubt he'd know what to do without some tinkering around with it.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Teton I enjoyed reading your story. It reminded me of my Fathers Model 62 Winchester .22 and how I felt when he handed in down to me. Sadly it was stolen some years ago. Dad was shattered when I told him. I dable in a bit of Leathercraft and am very impressed with the Rifle Scabbord. Fitting indeed it was made for such an Heirloom

regards Jacko