Front site drift tool

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Front site drift tool

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I've got a very nice Rossi 92 that shoots a little to the right, and after I drift front sight with the old punch and hammer, it shoots a little to left. Repeat this several times back and forth

ARRGG!

Is there a better way to drift the front site on a Rossi?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Front site drift tool

Post by Shasta »

When I have a problem of moving a sight too much, I find it useful to switch to a smaller hammer. No, I'm not trying to be funny. A lighter hammer will not drift a sight as well as a heavier hammer. My little 8 oz. ball pein is my favorite sight driver.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

I agree with Shasta also on the hammer size.
Also, take a fine tipped Sharpie and make a single straight line starting on the sight to the barrel to use as a "witness" mark to give a reference of how much you've moved the sight. As you know drifting a front sight, a little goes a long way!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A few pieces of scrap metal (arranged to put the pressure in the right places on the barrel and the sight base) and a regular Vice-Grip tool I've used with good success. Lots of leverage but can apply it 'gently'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Center the front sight, adjust the windage with the rear site. Easier that way.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Its rather crude, but I got sick of wacking them with a hammer also. I whiped up this gizmo out of frustration one day. It works pretty good. It could be made better with a bit of time and thought put into it, but I used what was laying around.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

excellent tool! nice job.
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The sight pusher's the same idea as the Williams Sight Pusher Tool - but they're only good for sights mounted in ramps, not directly in barrel dovetails, where they can't get any purchase.

The best way to move ANY dovetail sight, mounted directly in a barrel dovetail, is with a solid hammer, and a non-marring drift (I use a brass door hinge pin) - first holding the barrel soildly in a vise (not on one's knees or kitchen table), and applying a temporary pencil witness mark on a small piece of yellow masking tape placed adjacent to the sight being moved (as referred to above).

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Holding the barrel firmly is the trick. that way the hammer blows are not lost with barrel movement. I use a large solid vice with hardwood blocks to protect the barrels finish.sometimes a nylon/delrin rod and hammer is all that is needed . Other times a brass drift and 2# hammer is required to get er done. :wink:
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Thanks for the advice guys