Shooting an Original Civil War Savage-North Navy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Shooting an Original Civil War Savage-North Navy

Post by Sixgun »

Hey 'ya go guys. Three weeks ago my bud Tommy at Targetmaster hands me this rusted paperweight and says, "make it work, make it sellable and I was want it done yesterday" :D Whew! This guy is tough and I don't even work for him but...........we are buds and he always takes care of ALL of my shooting needs. (plus, nothing to say of first dibs on the goodies :D )

So...........This Savage-North is a Civil War gun and was produced from 1861 to the mid 1860's in a quantity of around 20,000..........probably of which less than 10% have survived. This particular specimen, with a 3xxx serial number was most likely produced in 1861 or early 1862 and most likely saw a lot of action. The previous owner sold it to Targetmaster with the story that it was in his family since dirt was made and was left unattended since then. It was frozen SOLID.

Its not easy making a frozen rust infested gun unfrozen, especially since it was froze up since the 1880's or whenever. Lots of Kroil was added everyday and a little tapping here and there with brass rods and other makeshift tools.............well, I won't bore you with the details especially when I "lost it" a few times and smashed the nearest thing to me. Last week I took it back to Tommy telling him the cylinder was hopelessly frozen and told him to get the services of a professional, not some peon like me. He tells me "NO!, take it back home and get it right or your fired". (Remember, I don't work for him :D )

Tommy is a guy who will not take "no" for an answer. Last year, a swimming pool installer told him there was no way a inground pool could be installed in his back yard as the ground was solid bedrock. He tells the guy, "blast a hole".......to which he did-------what a guy!

So......back to the Savage. I eventually got the cylinder free and scrubbed the whole gun real well. Put it all back together and discovered the mechanics were GREAT! :D I say to myself last night, "I'm gonna shoot this sucker as soon as I get home from work tomorrow".............and thats just what I did today. I loaded a mild charge of 25 grains of FF and an 5 conicals and 1 round ball. (Thats all I could find laying around in 36 caliber) Funny thing, this gun must weigh 4 pounds and a puny little 36 caliber ball)

Oh! On to shooting. I got home today and got my new Nikon camera and snapped a few stills and then put her on "record" and "went to town" in the backyard. Everything went off smoothly, except our horse "Stonewall" decided to hightail it back to the barn.--------------Sixgun

Explaining the mechanics-very unique gun as the cylinder moves tight against the barrel to make a gas seal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZuy6oaTkY&feature=plcp

Me shooting the Savage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WGqKF_ELk

Notice the greased cylinder mouths? getting ready to shoot that baby!
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

samb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Shooting an Original Civil War Savage-North Navy

Post by samb »

Awsome!!!!! Thanks for both video's.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

WOW :D :D :D
That is great, enjoyed the videos, thanks.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool, you did a great job!... :D :D :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well sixgun that`s pretty darn cool, right down to the Pitchy nod after the shootin. 8)
Neat gun, great vids thanks fer sharing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

What, no close up video of that beastie firing!?? :shock: ........I know, some folks are never happy! :lol:

Seriously cool! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very cool to see that shoot! Thanks for that Sixgun.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That is one cool Gun and a shooter. Is that by chance a cocking lever below the trigger ? (inquisitive minds)
So ! ballpark what is that worth ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's way beyond neat stuff, thanks
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Wow thats cool! Id a been happy just to see it & you got to clean it up & make it smoke again

ollogger
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

pwl44m wrote:Is that by chance a cocking lever below the trigger ? (inquisitive minds)
Watch the video! :D
Slow is just slow.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That is great! Well done!! Just loved it. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Super Cool!!!
The first sixgun I ever fired was an original Rogers and Spencer that my grandfather received as a high school graduation present from his eldest brother. Brings back great memories. Thanks for sharing,

Eric
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have handled one but never shot one. That was too cool! 8) :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That gun just reeks of history. . . imagine if it could talk. . . !

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have one of those or atleast a close version of it !

I traded a Sako Forester 30-06 HB for it about 20 years ago and gave it to my pop for Xmas that year .

We've never fired it either . I think ours is in slightly better condition then that one .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

I saw several at the Dug Up Gun Museum in Cody, Wyoming last year. Interesting place not far down the main drag from the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum.
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's awesome!
NRA Life Member
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

cas wrote:
pwl44m wrote:Is that by chance a cocking lever below the trigger ? (inquisitive minds)
Watch the video! :D
Can U C the Red, Yup, watch the Vid. :oops:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That pistol is a great piece of history. Watching the videos was a good way to start the day. That heavy pistol sure puts the damper on any recoil from those light caliber projectiles.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks fellow guncranks. As John Taffin says, "nothing stirs the soul like a gun with history". Well, he does say "Colt" but this is close enough. :D

I'm beginning to like this gun as the mechanics are excellent, the bore is decent and I don't have a real deal Civil War percussion revolver as they never interested me. I can't remember the amount of 1860, 1851, 1849, or 1862 Colts I've turned my nose up on in the last 40 years. Even let a few 3rd. model 1848 Dragoons slip past.

I just might tell my bud the gun is staying with me. :D -------Sixgun

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Thanks for the thread, photos and video. It's really a beautiful firearm.

Firing an old revolver like that scares me to death. Have you thought about finding someone with a magnaflux kit to inspect for cracks?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

bulldog1935 wrote:Thanks for the thread, photos and video. It's really a beautiful firearm.

Firing an old revolver like that scares me to death. Have you thought about finding someone with a magnaflux kit to inspect for cracks?

Na.......I don't worry myself with things that "might" happen. I've fooled around with this stuff long enough to know what will work and what won't. Deep heavy rust is a sign that things may not be OK and this gun, while rusted solid, was not deep rust.

BP generates small pressures and if the gun is solid with a good lockup, it will work safely. Common sense dictates here and I will always use a smaller charge than normal.

When you get old and am in the rocking chair, you never fret what you did, you fret what you did not do. Any neat gun that comes my way is gonna get shot. :D Last year I shot an 1830's Ethan Allen single shot and if a Colt Texas Paterson comes my way, its also gonna know what it's like to heat up some lead. :D ------------------Sixgun

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow! how neat and fun to shoot that thing. i have always wished someone would make a repro of this design , i would buy it in a heartbeat!

thanks !
cable
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Great post, Jack! You've got to love those guns from an era when firearms design was 'unsettled.'
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Great post, Jack! You've got to love those guns from an era when firearms design was 'unsettled.'
Howdy there Reds! :D I'm tryin' to take the advice you gave me 10-15 years ago on "shoot as much as you can because when they throw the dirt in your face, its over". :D

Words of wisdom boys, 'ole Reds has plenty of it.----------Sixgun

Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

After reading this I spent 2 hours reading everything I could find online and saved dozens of pictures..Interesting..Found the patent too..I sure like that old American stuff..I built that Maynard and getting ready to build a Burnside..Almost convinced now I should also build myself a Savage-North revolver.Anyway, thanks for this thread. Have enjoyed thinking about it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Alphawolf45 wrote:After reading this I spent 2 hours reading everything I could find online and saved dozens of pictures..Interesting..Found the patent too..I sure like that old American stuff..I built that Maynard and getting ready to build a Burnside..Almost convinced now I should also build myself a Savage-North revolver.Anyway, thanks for this thread. Have enjoyed thinking about it.
Thanks Alphawolf! :D It gives me pleasure when someone else finds comfort and education in my posts. The old guns are just so full of history and "neatness", they really give a great deviation from life's boring monotomy of working, fixing cars, cutting grass, etc.

The really cool aspect of playing with the old guns is that even if you live to be 200 years old, you will never run out of fun stuff to play and educate yourself with. :D -------Sixgun