Winchester model 52 ????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester model 52 ????

Post by rjohns94 »

Who owns one and/or has shot one? Your thoughts and experience with them?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester model 52 ????

Post by 2ndovc »

Most accurate .22lr I've ever fired! I have a semi-custom Model 75 (cheap version) in the works
but will always regret letting go of that 52!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've got a 52B Sporter (Browning Repro) that I used to win the Oregon State Silhouette championship.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had three, a 1927 pre-A which a custom gunsmith had restocked, scoped & otherwise customized (bottom-most rifle, below), a gennie 1937 52B Sporting Rifle w/issue Lyman peep, and a scoped Japanese repro Winchester 52B Sporter.

All three shot well under an inch @ 100yds when I did my part; all three (I'm sorry to say) got sold to finance my early retirement (along with a bunch of my other guns).

For a pure-dee target rifle, a standard pre-64 Model 52 is a wonderful rifle, and semi-affordable.

Still affordable, but a bit harder to find, is a Winchester 52B or Browning 52C repro Sporter - lighter, but better for hunting, etc.

A gennie Model 52 Sporting Rifle is IMO for deep pocket collectors, these days.

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have an original 1954 Sporter in 100% condition! I've only shot it once and it was stupid accurate.

I was recently offered $6500 for it!!!!! (It will only appreciate in value!)

Loads of pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/thi ... -model-52/
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Found my photos.....

The medal is for Cowboy Class.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a Browning copy, I usually place in the top three at our weekly sporter benchrest matches. I have several accurate .22 target rifles and sporters, this one is as good as it gets.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I own two of the Browning Re-issue Model 52B Sporters. Browing made 10,000 WInchester marked Model 52B Sporters and 5,000 Browning marked Model 52C Sporters. The major difference is a classic stock on the Model 52B, and a small comb on the Model 52C.

This one dates from around 1997 and has exceptional wood. I am only aware of four of them with wood like this and at least 3 of them are reported to be very good shooters. This was is a great shooter, with consistent five shot 1.25-1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards with SK match ammunition:

This one dates from 1992 and has the straight grained walnut normally found on the re-issue Model 52Bs and Cs. It is however an even better shooter, averaging 1 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards, and it will hold it's own with my CZ-453 accuracy wise - which is saying a lot. In fact, it shot the group below yesterday, measuring .534", on a dead calm morning with intermittent light rain. That's not typical accuracy as it belongs in the right hand tail of the distribution, but it's the only sporter I've ever had that shot a group like this even once.

Not all of them shoot in the 1-1.25 MOA range, but I have heard of very few that won't shoot better than 2.0 MOA with decent match ammo. I have been a fan for a long time and they are in my opinion one of the best production sporters ever made in terms of both finish and overall accuracy. Even if you look at them from a custom perspective, you'll note inset swivel studs, steel but plates, grip caps, highly polished and deep blued finish and other "options" that would around $1000 on a custom gun. IMHO, that makes the Model 52 re-issue rifles a great deal as they normally sell in the $800-$900 range in 95% condition or better. You'll pay a few hundred more for one with great wood, but I'd buy it if you see it, as there are not many around.

Scope mounting is a bit different as the eyepiece, rather than the objective, is normally the limiting factor due to bolt handle clearance, but there area few different mounting options.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My bud is a big collector of those, along with Remington's version, the Model 37. I've shot a lot of both and yes, they are tackdrivers. If your buying to invest, be careful as most of these guns have been altered in one way or another, usually the stock has been cut, sights have been changed or scope blocks have been added for the Unertl scopes that were popular in the day.

Unless your competing, these guns get boring very fast. (the exception is the Sporter version as you can hunt with that) (You know, pull the trigger..."x" ring.... x ring.....x ring.-------------------------6
Model A Uzi’s
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

As much as I love the Model 52 Sporters, if you are competing at a serious level or planning on it, a Model 52 match rifle is old technology and you'd be better served by an Anschutz 54, Remington 40x, or maybe a Kimber 82G.

Opinions vary a lot, but the arrival of the Anschutz 54/14xx series rifles like the 1407 in the mid 1950s were really the beginning of the competitive end for the Model 52 match rifle, and most shooters will also express the opinion that the Remington 40X that arrived in 1960 is more consistently accurate than the final Model 52D/E.

A Model 52 will still shoot on par with an Anschutz 64 Match rifle, Anschutz's lower end match rifle, but you can get an Anschutz 64 Match or the Savage-Anschutz marked 64 Match for less money (around $500) than a Model 52 as they don't have the same collector appeal as the Model 52. The Annie 64 is also comparatively easy to restock if the existing stock does not fit you well for prone or three position shooting.

If you are however just interested in informal competition, and/or in just developing basic prone or three position shooting skills, then a Model 52, Remington 513T, Anschutz 64, etc will provide you with plenty of fun and plenty of opportunity to develop your skills.

This is my Savage Anschutz 64, one I restocked with a semi-inletted blank from Master Class. It works well with aperture sights or optics, is fun to shoot. It, like the Model 52, is capable of 200/200 scores at 50 yards with top shelf match ammunition, however the difference between those two rifles and an Anschutz 54 based match rifle is in the number of Xs, with top level shooters it's the number of Xs that often decide the match.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You can't use those German "space guns", in Hunter class silhouette. That's why we are so fond of the classic "sporters".

3&4 position shooting I do agree 100%, with your opinion.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I think we're on the same page. You'd be hard pressed to find a Model 52 target rifle that weighs less than 9 pounds even without optics, so they'll bust the 8.5 pound weight limit as well.

The Model 52 Sporters pictured above both come in at 8.2 pounds with scope.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Here is a picture of my "pre-A" Winchester that polishing room records indicate was manufactured in 1932. It wears a 20X Litschert scope.

This rifle can be counted on to shoot 50 yard, 3 shot groups, that average less than .200". Here is a three shot group shot last week that was exceptionally fine. Ammo was Eley Club. Sixgun mentioned above these guns can get boring. Maybe for some, but I enjoy being able to hit aspirin sized targets, every time, at 50 yards ranges or even longer. Something about having a firearm with such precision that makes shooting really enjoyable.

I shoot mine a couple of times a week and for a while now it has been my most used firearm.

A Winchester Collector
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have never owned a 52 sporter of any vintage, but do have considerable experience with the target rifles during the 50's when they were state of the art. There were several generations of the Winchester 52 with the big jump coming in trigger design. I shot a 52D Bull Gun in high level competition. With good ammo it would put 20 rounds into way less than an inch at 100 yards, providing the wind was being cooperative.

I had both Redfield Olympic sights and a Lyman 20X Super Targetspot scope for the rifle. The scope did not give you smaller groups, but it did help dope the wind outdoors by being able to read the mirage. In a tight sling, in prone position, you could watch the cross hairs jump with each beat of your heart. You tried to time you trigger release with your heart beat.

I am certain, that rimfire match rifle technology is much better today, but the 52 was top of the heap in it's day.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I have a Browning 52 and have an ammo question:

What 22 ammo do you competition shooters use for your best groups? Acknowledging a rifle's preference for particular ammo, is there a match grade ammo that most of these highly accurate 22 rifles seem to shoot well?

Jdad, what ammo did you use in your Browning 52 to win the OR silhouette championship? Congratulations on the win!
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Yes, and no.

The 100 yd group pictured above was SK Jagd Standard Plus. Wolf MT comes from the same production line and meets the same standards. It seems to shoot well for a lot of people, but it's still mid grade target ammo and how well it shoots varies quite a bit between lots. I've also had good results with Lapua Center X, but it's twice the cost of SK Standard Plus. For general steel plate shooting I tend to stay with SK Standard Plus. It's accurate enough for steel, and it's decent practice ammo for 3 position. But for prone competition I generally use Center X, as a happy medium between consistency (few fliers) and cost.

I've also shot Eley Match with good results in my Model 52 but again it's over twice the cost at around at about $140 per brick, and Eley Tenex is even more expensive at around $200 per brick. Most folks agree it's decent stuff though.

In the bigger picture, you just have to try different types to see what your particular rifle likes, then do a cost benefit analysis in terms of how much consistency you are willing to pay for. One thing to consider is that whether it's Lapua or Eley, there tends to be some overlap. For example, some lots of SK standard Plus shoot better than some lots of the more expensive SK Rifle Match.

Given the lot to lot variation even within the same label/quality level with any brand, serious shooters will get 50 rounds from different lots for accuracy testing in their particular rifle, and then buy a few cases of the best performing lot.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This is what I use, for competition. Standard Plus is generally really good, but RM has tighter tolerances. Technically any rifle/ammo combo that shoots 1-1/4" groups, at 100m, is minute-of-ram good enough for silhouette.

Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

That's very nice wood on that Model 52C Re-issue.

If you get a chance go on over to rimfirecentral.com and show it. There is some interest in the nicely wooded Browning 52Bs and 52Cs ones with some discussion of serial numbers and how they came about, with a gentleman collecting information on them.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Model 52B wrote:That's very nice wood on that Model 52C Re-issue.

If you get a chance go on over to rimfirecentral.com and show it. There is some interest in the nicely wooded Browning 52Bs and 52Cs ones with some discussion of serial numbers and how they came about, with a gentleman collecting information on them.

I always thought it was a "B". The box doesn't say "B" or "C". Was there a serial number prefix that differentiated these? I know Marlin leverguns, but these Winchester bolt guns are very foreign to me. :D
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

jdad wrote:
Model 52B wrote:That's very nice wood on that Model 52C Re-issue.

I always thought it was a "B". The box doesn't say "B" or "C". Was there a serial number prefix that differentiated these? I know Marlin leverguns, but these Winchester bolt guns are very foreign to me. :D
I don't own a "C" re-issue myself (yet...), but my understanding is that all the Cs had the comb on the stock, and were marked "Browning", while the Bs had a classic stock with no comb, and were marked "Winchester".

There were only 5,000 Browning marked Model 52 re-issues produced in 1991-1992, compared to 10,000 Winchester marked re-issue Model 52s made between 1992 and 1998.

The Browning marked rifles will be found with "BA" (rare) or "NZ" in the serial numbers, while the Winchesters will have"BS", "WBS", "NR-80" or "NP-80" in the serial number - going from earlier production to later production.

There were also a couple distributor specials and a commemorative version, all with fairly low production numbers and all Winchester marked:

400 - Winchester with Fajen Stock (maple stock), mfg. 1998
500 - Winchester Heavy Barrel With Satin Stocks, Mfg. for Zanders 1998
500 - Winchester Heavy Barrel With Gloss Stocks, Mfg. for Zanders 1998
1000 - Winchester Utah Centennial 1896-1996 Standard Barrel, Mfg. 1996

I *think* the 2,400 Winchester marked rifles above are included in the 10,000 total, but I could be mistaken on that.

The Zanders rifles are highly prized and will bring more money than a regular B or C at around $1,500-1,800.
The Fajen stocked rifles can bring $1800-$2000 as well, although I personally don't like the way they look.
The UT commemoratives don't seem to bring much if any more than a regular 52B re-issue.
The UT commemoratives all have "UT" in the serial number.
All the heavy barrel Model 52 re-issues seem to have "NP-80" in the serial along with all the other final year (1998) rifles.

All of them were made by Miroku for Browning.

If you ever decide you want to sell yours.... :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Thank you! It is an "NZ"