Model 94 30.30 loading problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sludge
Levergunner

Model 94 30.30 loading problems

Post by sludge »

I have had my Winchester 94 30.30, top eject, for about 40 years, an ever reliable lever gun, on a recent hunting trip I tried to cycle the lever, the cartridge lifting mechanism ejected the round, due to this I was unable to load. On emptying the rifle of ammunition and loading 1 round in the magazine I cycled the lever slowly and prevented the lifting mechanism from ejecting the round so that the round was sitting on the lifting mechanism where I thought is should be. I tried to continue through the loading process by closing the lever but the round would not align with the chamber. I have not disassembled the rifle yet, I just wanted some thoughts on what the problem might be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Model 94 30.30 loading problems

Post by J Miller »

sludge,

Welcome to Leverguns forum.

Without having the rifle in my hands I'm guessing, but here is where I'd start.

A: Check the loading gate ( spring cover ) screw. Make sure it's tight, but don't strip it, the threads are super fine. Open the action, with a finger from the inside push the spring for the cover against the inside of the receiver while tightening the screw.

B: Check the cartridge guide screws, they can loosen up. Make sure both cartridge guides are there. Tossing a live round out the top can happen if one of the guides is missing. Feeding problems happen when they are loose.

C: Open the action slowly and see if the cartridge lifter snaps up when the bolt is fully open. If it does, stick your finger in and push it down. It should snap down. If it just flops up and down the carrier spring is probably broken. Or it's screw is loose. Seen both those things.

That's where I'd start.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:sludge,

A: Check the loading gate ( spring cover ) screw. Make sure it's tight, but don't strip it, the threads are super fine. Open the action, with a finger from the inside push the spring for the cover against the inside of the receiver while tightening the screw.

B: Check the cartridge guide screws, they can loosen up. Make sure both cartridge guides are there. Tossing a live round out the top can happen if one of the guides is missing. Feeding problems happen when they are loose.

C: Open the action slowly and see if the cartridge lifter snaps up when the bolt is fully open. If it does, stick your finger in and push it down. It should snap down. If it just flops up and down the carrier spring is probably broken. Or it's screw is loose. Seen both those things.

That's where I'd start.

Joe
yup,

i'd start with "b". :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to our corner of the www, sludge......... ;)

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome, check those guides. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
pokey wrote:
J Miller wrote:sludge,
That's where I'd start.
Joe
yup,
i'd start with "b". :wink:
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!