Just for fun, for a 375 Ruger...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Just for fun, for a 375 Ruger...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a gift certificate to use, and was browsing for odds-and-ends that would tally up to the total, so decided to get a few of these to play with.

The flat-point one is a 300 grain "Safari Solid" solid-brass from Cutting Edge Bullets

The pointy one is a 350 grain "VLD" from Woodleigh Bullets

I have a bunch of hard-cast bullets for 'target' loads I'd like to develop, as from my reading of how accurate the 375 H&H is, and how easy it is to 'download', I thought that despite the more Ackley-like cartridge case, perhaps the 375 Ruger would exhibit some of the same potential for low-power target (or deer) loads, as well as the more traditional 4,500 foot-poundish 'African' factory loads. But I didn't have any bullets to duplicate the factory loads, so I browsed. . .

The 300 grain ones have published 375 Ruger data, and it is a typical weight for the cartridge, and overall length not too different even though it is brass, since it isn't too pointy. The 350 grain ones are really for 375 SnipeTac (which is why I only bought ten bullets), so most likely the twist on the 357 Ruger won't stabilize them at velocities I could realistically get with the cartridge. . . but they really LOOK cool, eh...???? :lol: I may not even load them, but they cost just enough to 'top off' the gift certificate. I can't find a published ballistic coefficient, but I'll bet if you could get them spinning fast enough to stabilize, they'd just keep going. . . and going. . . and going. . . and going. . .

I guess if I win the lottery I'll have to get a 375 SnipeTac. . . 8) The Ruger gets up to 2,700 fps with a 300 grain bullet, but the SnipeTac gets 3,150 from a 350 grain bullet, and is a 'bit' more powerful too - 7,715 ft-lbs vs. a paltry 4,800...

Anyway, next time I spot a Cape Buffalo in the woods behind my deer-stand, I'll be ready... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Just for fun, for a 375 Ruger...

Post by Griff »

My shoulder hurts just reading about loads lile that! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good evening
Anything caliber .375 I find very interesting. Those Rugers were another good idea that company put forward.
Some time back there was a caliber .375-338 for sale on Gunbroker. There were no bidders for 5 cycles through the system so I sent him an offer. No response. After 4 days I decided he was not interested so contacted JES Reboring on a caliber .375 Whelen he had just bored and chambered. Had a deal worked out in a few hours. It is now sitting at my FFL waiting for my return.
As I shoot my own cast bullets only the Whelen will do all I need.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:My shoulder hurts just reading about loads lile that! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
+1 Me too!!! :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:My shoulder hurts just reading about loads lile that! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Factory loads for the Ruger 375 'Alaskan' model are mild to moderate - about like a 44 Mag stout load from a Marlin 1894. WAY better than a 12 gauge breakopen 'slug' gun. I think it is the high comb, plus the heavy Pachmayr rubber stock, and recoil pad.

OTOH, that 'SnipeTac' is a 405 CheyTac necked down, and the cartridge case has about the same water-capacity as an Olympic-sized swimming pool. I presume the guns are like 50 BMG's though - generally very, very heavy. Never shot one or even seen one.

Getting well over 3,000 fps with a 350 grain bullet is potent enough, but with a pointy one like that, I'll bet way out to 1,200 yards or so it would still be super-sonic, AND pack a wallop..!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Griff wrote:
My shoulder hurts just reading about loads lile that! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
+1 Me too!!! :shock:

I dunno, 'bout reading, but my shoulder would be bleeding !

I like ".375", but my druthers run to the .375 Winchester Big Bore, after realizing the .375H&H Ruger #1-H was waaaay overkill on even fairly-huge Maine whitetails (and way too heavy a rifle for me to trudge around the woods with).

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:I like ".375", but my druthers run to the .375 Winchester Big Bore, after realizing the .375 H&H Ruger #1-H was waaaay overkill on even fairly-huge Maine whitetails (and way too heavy a rifle for me to trudge around the woods with).
True. The Ruger 'Alaskan' 375 feels kind of like a 'Tanker' Garand or an M1A 'Scout Squad Rifle'.

On the other hand - that's why I like it so much... it's my "Man's Gun". . . 8)

The 375 Winchester is a far more practical cartridge for hunting around the Midwest, though. The 375 Ruger is more for Elk, Moose, or Bear north of us, mid-size African game, or - the most-likely thing I will actually shoot. . . a recalcitrant lawn-mower that won't start, or an old computer that got virused. . . :evil: :lol:

JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

I'll bet it'll do a one shot stop on a lawn mower, no problem :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JayF in AZ wrote:I'll bet it'll do a one shot stop on a lawn mower, no problem :)
Yup. Last time I had to euthanize an 'uncooperative' lawn mower was back in the '70's, and I had to settle for using a 7mm Remington Magnum. . . the darned thing nearly got away. . . I'm thinking the brass flat-points will make that way less likely. . . :twisted: :twisted:

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote:
JayF in AZ wrote:I'll bet it'll do a one shot stop on a lawn mower, no problem :)
Yup. Last time I had to euthanize an 'uncooperative' lawn mower was back in the '70's, and I had to settle for using a 7mm Remington Magnum. . . the darned thing nearly got away. . . I'm thinking the brass flat-points will make that way less likely. . . :twisted: :twisted:
I am not sure I want to meet that lawnmower up close and personal. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I bought a375 Ruger a couple of years ago when I still had ambitions to go back to Africa. Had a discussion w/ Ruger who/they would not pull a stock off one asy line and a barreled action off the other and "mate" the two. "We dont do custom work". So I bought a Howa in SS. Ive been shooting the Lee 0.375 255 gr(38-55) which mikes 0.378+ right out of the mold. Unsized,Lubed up w/Lee tumble lube and chased down the barrel by 15.5 gr of discontinued AL-7 they do about 1500FPS and will group less than 1moa if the winds dont blow and the stars and planets cooperate. They are approximation of the original 38-55 loads. Dont kick either and dont cost much. The loads it was meant for use about 82 gr of H4350 and 300 gr bullets. I dont shoot more than 8 or 10 at a session, because I wimp out on the 11nth round and close my eyes grit my teeth and jerk the trigger. I dont think the neighbors would appreciate the stray missiles. But up to that point its kinda fun. On the practical side a Hornady 225 gr SP or Speer 235 running at 2600FPS is a good sturdy load that will drop deer with the same tissue damage as a 308 or '06 . If you really want to overkill you can drive that bullet over 3000FPS and explode a deer like a groundhog. Incidentally Cheytac/ Woodleigh bullet seems to have a BC of 1.02!!!! From Cheytac website. Id guess it will be supersonic at 2500 yds. Ill try that on JBM ballistic and see what comes up.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

The 350 gr brass spritzer bt starting at 3150 is still super sonic at 2900 yd at my back yard atmospherics. Midrange tragectory at 1000yd is only 5 feet. I think the rifle had better weight at least 25# to make it survivable. OUCH! I think if I won the lottery and thought I wanted one, I hope my family would spent the money on therapy!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rogn wrote:The 350 gr brass spritzer bt starting at 3150 is still super sonic at 2900 yd at my back yard atmospherics. Midrange tragectory at 1000yd is only 5 feet.
There is NO practical reason for me to need something like that, but there is a little voice saying "You need one. . . You must have one. . . Sell all those guns you have but never shoot, and get one. . . " :D

http://www.dtacomlink.com/dta-dtm-3080- ... 5-cheytac/

I'd better go put my hearing protectors on... :?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Tried that but I keep hearing those voices.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You should bought my .416 Weatherby Doc!

Loaded with 120grs of RL-22 was throwing the 350gr TSX just under 3000fps

Sighted in at 300yds (it was basically out to that within 4" high, under 12" at 400yds and under 30" at 500yds

Even at 500yds still going 2150fps and aprox 3700ftlbs

Should have kept it! Sold it and bought a (little) 375H&H :wink:(which I love though)

JMHO :D

If you want to get crazy stick with the .416 it beats the (any).375 whatever---(that 375 Snipe-Tac just using an ungodly long barrel to up its velocity. My plain .416 Weatherby with a 32" or 40" barrel like the Snipe-Tac should do that all day long with in the 350gr with better ballistics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8IkAvOCxXE

But since were going that far--------------------still like that (50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MK4SEoBFXk
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of "375" options out there for sure. . . the Ruger is on the mild-to-moderate end of the spectrum, actually (but it is still one of the most powerful firearms I own).

Ammoguide 375 Comparisons - http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare. ... 7&xxglbl=1

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

The only 375 I have shot was a 375-06 JDJ Thompson centre Encore, shot it a couple of weeks ago at a silhouette match in Ohio, lots of fun but the old wrist ached for days!! :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................