browning 1895 scope mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

browning 1895 scope mount

Post by joepb »

Does anyone know where to purchase or a smith that has built a long eye relief scope mount for a browning 1895? Thanks, Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: browning 1895 scope mount

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, nobody makes either an LER (aka: handgun scope with 11"-21" eye relief) or Scout aka: IER scope with 7"-9" eye relief) mount base for the Model 1885.

A base would most likely need to be fashioned to fit the 1885, from something like a Brownell's gunsmith base.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mountin ... 44961.aspx

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Forum member, Peter Richards, in Australia has a Miroku Winchester 1895 .405 with a scope mount that is fixed forward of the action. I have shot that rifle and the scope set up is fine and easy to use. Possibly Peter can tell you the name of the manufacturer of the scope mount.

See an active post by Peter on this forum now:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=63511

Also a new post showing the .405 with scope:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=63510
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Weaver makes a side mount for the 95 the #3A and XS sights makes a scout mount for the 94 and have seen one adapted to a 95. danny
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Joe,
I bought my 1895 already set up with that scout scope from a Florida Pawn Shop off Gun Broker. When I get home I will take some up close photos & post them for you mate.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I had a smith rebarrel my 270 into a 358Hawk he machined the 1/4 rail as part of the
barrel ... took 4 years for him to get it back to me ... but I have to admit it's great !!!!!

sorry I can't suggest another mount :-(
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Now THAT is cool!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rustyguns
Levergunner

Post by rustyguns »

That looks great !!! 4 years ? I thought it was bad that I had to wait 2 1/2 yrs for some work done on an original 95. Anymore ...if I can't do it myself I won't bother
I may not live long enough to have a smith work on my stuff. :lol:
Gene O
Life Member NRA. SCV. NMLRA.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I want to do the same thing with a 71 and one of my 94's. I dont want a rail, in the common sense, with the wide, ugly (to me) base with scads of unused and unnecessary slots, I want the smallest bases possible that will look clean and not be so noticeable when not being used. I came across some Ruger bases, I believe they are for the No 1 V. They are two small separate bases which are supposed to be screwed to the barrel, and use Ruger rings. I used one as a light mount on the side of a 92 magazine tube, it looks pretty good, especially compared to the common rail type bases.

The factory base meant for the Ruger 22 auto with Ruger rings is also a possibility for base stock, or used as is if it works with the scope you want.

One other possibility may be a Ruger No 1 quarter rib, which has the scope bases machined into it, but also has a folding sight. The only trick would be figuring out which one to order to match your barrel contour, or just have the gunsmith machine it as needed to fit. I think the quarter rib I have may get cut down into small plain bases though, the ribs dont appeal to me that much. If anyone works with the Ruger quarter ribs, check them, Tamara wrote about one that wasnt straight from the factory, I looked at mine, it isnt straight either.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Here are some picks of my scout scope mount boys, sorry it took me a while. There are no markings on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party