Powder coated cast bullets.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Powder coated cast bullets.

Post by Old Savage »

Just bought Bear Creek Supply .358" 158 gr SWC. Anyone have experience?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Powder coated cast bullets.

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote:Just bought Bear Creek Supply .358" 158 gr SWC. Anyone have experience?
I have used Bear Creek moly .38's for many years and I am happy with them. This poly bullet must be quite new.

I recently purchased some poly coat bullets of another caliber but have not yet tried them. However, the reviews, YouTube offerings, and other sources seem to indicate that these are clean, easier on the firearm, and a bit quicker down the barrel.

That's all that I can add to the thread.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I believe TedH powder coates his own.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Last week I shot a bunch of powder coated 45 ACP's. They worked well .. were accurate .. the barrel stayed clean. I could see no downside except the bullets were red and with 45 ACP's you could mistake them for lipstick. :D
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I powder coat my 300gr Ranchdogs for hunting in the 45/70 and they shoot better than ever. I have been told they are easy on the bore and one other plus I know is, you add 2 thousands to the dia of the bullet so it fills larger bores well.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I accused him of trying to get me to shoot lip gloss ... but as I said, they worked real well.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I've had some success powder coating my cast bullets. A lot cleaner to load and shoot than grease lube, and there is no limit on shelf life. Here's some cast of clip on wheel weights for the 45/70. Image. These are coated with Harbor Freight red powder.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Red lipstick looking .45 ACP gives new meaning to Kiss Of Death.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It seems the ones I bought are some Moly impregnated polymer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I tried some moly coated bullets in my 1911 and they seemed to work well... Not sure how they'd work with BP tho'... :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Les Staley wrote:I've had some success powder coating my cast bullets. A lot cleaner to load and shoot than grease lube, and there is no limit on shelf life. Here's some cast of clip on wheel weights for the 45/70...These are coated with Harbor Freight red powder.
Nice job, Les!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I have been using Bear Creek Bullets for the past 20 years or so. Great bullets at a good price. I got them to start making the 30 WCF flat point 180 grain bullets 0.310'' dia.. I also use their 44 bullets, and 45-70 bullets. They all shoot nice and accurate, and at the right velocities do not lead. I think they are the bee's whiskers.
The 44 in revolver I shoot at 1150 fps which is at the point of leading.
The 30 cal to about 1400 fps point of leading.
The 45-70 at about 1500 fps point of leading.
Get the odd flyer with the 30 cal, but all shoot and group as well as jacketed bullets, but at the lower velocities. I will keep buying the 44's for my magnum, but now cast my own gas checked bullets for the 45-70 and will do so for the 30-30, as I want velocities in the 1800 fps range.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

EdinCT wrote:I powder coat my 300gr Ranchdogs for hunting in the 45/70 and they shoot better than ever. I have been told they are easy on the bore and one other plus I know is, you add 2 thousands to the dia of the bullet so it fills larger bores well.

This makes sense....about the only reason I can see to go the extra yard. Good ole plain cast bullets with NRA lube have been doing me fine for over 40 years.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yeah but I am sure you know the magic.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

My good friend OS,
No magic......knowledge...... Loading cast bullets for modern rifles....say from 1920 on is child's play. Try getting a rifle that was made in the 1870's-1900 period that was designed for black powder that has tight chambers that won't allow you to chamber the proper sized bullet........and make that rifle hit a beer can at 300 meters..THAT gets involved with changing dimensions of the brass...special dies with special expander plugs....seating depths.....alloy....velocity....lube. Sometimes you get lucky and just follow directions that's used in semi to modern guns....most times you don't......get lucky

But for the stuff most guys use........it's e...a..s..y........match the bullet design with the right alloy.....sized correctly to the proper amount and type powder. Couple of months ago I picked up a pair of Remington 788 (One rifle and 1 carbine). in .308 and on the first try I put 10 (not 5) shots into an inch and a half with the rifle. Have not played with the carbine ....yet........no challenge at all with modern guns.

Don't throw money away with modern gimmicks....power coated bullets.....geeze......give me a break......and for that matter.....store bought cast bullets......Challenge yourself! NOW! :D

With revolvers stick the largest semi hard bullet in the case that the chamber will accept...sometimes .003 over groove diameter........

Now......doctor's orders for Fred.......take three of these and call me in a month and if that don't work, you have my number....call anytime.-------6-Image

Here's those two Remington 788's that shoot cast bullets probably better than any production rifle ever made....the rifle is above the BAR and the carbine is below it. The Marlin 336 deluxe carbine in 35 that was made in '52 shoots cast bullets as good as the Remingtons.

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, you are the guru e.a.s.y. for you. Now my good friend Ron Carmichael who used to write for Handloader set me to casting in his garage one day. Got the set up going and said if they look like this keep them. If they don't throw them back. He had a mold I had read about 309141 or the like. I cast some we sized and lubed. I used an NRA load of 21 gr. 4759 supposedly for the magic 1600 fps. I took them to the range and shot somr through my 1988 vintage full size Model 70, 5 shots in .85". Felt like shooting a 22.

But here I am just using these polymer coated moly di bullets yoj see to make a 38/357 go bang, hit a cantalope at 7 yds but eondered what they do to the bore. Condo not conducive to casting and I just kicked the golf addiction, at leadt temporarily. I see you casting guys can realky get into it. Trying to make condo loading as workable as possible. That is what the poly/fi bullets are about. Cheap convience. Might have to hook you up with my NJ brother. You two would get on. He is just across the turnpike in Florence. Don't belueve his stories, I did not do sny of thst stuff.

Picture ... Guns I used to have, can you identify.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, I understand............condo living and smoking up the house are not conductive to good neighborship......hey! I just coined a word. Anyway, you got the bucks so go ahead and buy whatever your heart desires. Why don't you just go to jacketed?

The rifles? A model 88 basket weave post 64 Winchester and the others are bolt actions. Like Mexicans, bolt actions all look the same. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That was a good laugh but. No, jacketed too expensive to no purpose. I just buy the best cast I can fingmd or the best deal. These should work but I like to get the opinions across board and I think you Earl who is really John and Grifg are good go tos. Shootin cantalopes you see. Went from the hand press to the RCBS God apparently moved me into 20 years ago. Gonna get my brother over to see you if you won't run him off.