March 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

March 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by Griff »

This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot. You can submit either a picture or a scanned image. Feel free to include a description or photo of your equipment in your submission post. See rule #7... if we don't know who you are, you can't win... March 1 - 31.

BASIC Rules: - let's keep it simple -

1. Repeating Lever-action rifle, center-fire pistol caliber ONLY (.32 to .45 cal).
2. Shot in the free standing position. (unsupported)
3. Iron sights or tang sights ONLY - no fancy stuff - scopes etc.
4. B6 target - (link to download and print a copy below).
5. 10 Shots only
6. 50 yards (ish)
7. Image of target and with name and date written on target, posted for consideration.
8. A maximum of 4 targets submitted for each Calendar month.
9. Your highest score counts.
10. Winner posted at the beginning of the next Calendar month.
11. Open to all members of the forum as of February 1st, 2017.

Approved target:

http://www.silvercitygunclub.com/PDF/b6.pdf

Scoring: Count 10,9,8 and 7 if you hit the paper. A hit on the line counts to the next highest value. Where there is a tie the most Xs hit in the 10 ring will be the tie- breaker!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: March 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by claybob86 »

OK, here's one. I'm not counting that flyer at the upper left because this target is on a 10 1/2 X 10 1/2 sheet and if I'd printed from the internet like some of you are doing, it wouldn't be on a letter size paper. This is a 74? So far, I'm winning! :P

Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Print out the target from the "rules" section and overlay on top of your target. I score you @ 83 using all 10 shots. If that upper left shot doesn't fall on the "official" target, your score is still 76, the one shot is cutting the 10 ring.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

This is a little better, looks like 85.

I'm enjoying this. I can shoot OK from a rest, but this is much more challenging!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye, tis 85.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

OK, I finally got my shooting done with a gen-you-wine levergun. But Griff, you'll need to overlook some 22 cal holes in these targets -- I had the company of a 6-year old with a Cricket 22 and he deelighted in poking extra holes in grandpa's targets. But it's not too hard to tell which are the "counters" -- the 35 and 43 cal holes.
First up was the Rossi 357. I thought this was going to make a pretty decent score until I got back home and on looking close I see -- dang! there's only 9 holes in that target! So the kid either mis-counted his shots or he missed the whole dang box with one shot. Anyway, here's said target:
MarchTargetA8370.jpg
Next was the Rossi 44 mag trying out a brand new (to me) bullet. Lee Round Nose, supposed to be 240 grain but mine are 260 grains from wheelweight metal. Now this has to be a total fluke -- I've never before shot this kind of score other than with a scope or my single-shot Sharps with tang sight. But here it is: I make it a 95. And don't bother scoring the kid's 22 holes: He cheats! (about a 6-foot distance to target) And since I don't do photobucket you have to click on my pictures if you want to see them full-size.
MarchTargetB8369.jpg
Rossi44mag8373.jpg
RossiwithAmmo8371.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice shootin' Earl. Your challenge Earl is to "blow-up" your .357 target and see which of those holes has an "echo" in it. I think I see one, but let's see if you & I agree on which one it is. Otherwise I'll wait to see if KiwiKev agrees with me. Unitl then, it's an 81 score.

You got a great gun on that .44. Super shooting. Great score @ 95!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you claybob & Earl for entering this month's match. Earlmck is this month's WINNER. Congratulations Sir, that was some exceedingly fine shooting.

Please note that for April's match you can enter with either/both a pistol cartridge and rifle cartridge. If you wonder whether your "rifle" cartridge qualifies under the rule I set forth, please PM me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Griff wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 am Nice shootin' Earl. Your challenge Earl is to "blow-up" your .357 target and see which of those holes has an "echo" in it. I think I see one, but let's see if you & I agree on which one it is. Otherwise I'll wait to see if KiwiKev agrees with me. Unitl then, it's an 81 score.

You got a great gun on that .44. Super shooting. Great score @ 95!
Nope, there are only 9 holes, Griff. And I have the target so can look at both sides to see if there really is an "echo" anywhere. Probably just sent the first shot off piyah just to get me started...

And that is the first load that 44 mag has really seemed to like. I am tickled. And got lucky, too.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Griff wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 pm Earlmck is this month's WINNER. Congratulations Sir, that was some exceedingly fine shooting.
Way to go, Earl! :D
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

claybob86 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:55 am
Way to go, Earl! :D
This is fun, isn't it Claybob? I am learning stuff I didn't know about my own rifles by standing up and banging away off-hand at a target (I am normally a tin-can shooter). May have been just you and me this last month but I'll bet the relaxing of the rules will bring in some more shooters for April. I think I'll take out some Savage 99's to try at the 50 yard line next time I go out.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yes it is, Earl! I enjoy going out to shoot with a specific objective like this. Offhand rifle shooting is a skill that I've neglected for quite a few years, so I need some practice! Might dust off the .30-30 for April and see how it goes.