HELP!!! I need mole control!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Skychief
Levergunner

HELP!!! I need mole control!!!!

Post by Skychief »

My yard is FULL of them this year. I plugged two with a shotgun today.

Tried a scissor type trap last year. No luck. Found it needed about 400# to set it off.

Do any of you guys swear by a certain trap or other method to kill the little devils?

Best regards, Skychief
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HELP!!! I need mole control!!!!

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I killed over 30 of them the first year I lived here in my place. All with a 12 ga hand held mole trap. It takes about 5 lb. to set it off. The 30" barrel directs the impact accuratly onto the varmint. No need to actually hit them, concussion will kill. In the last 10-15 years I have, maybe, two or three a year that come into my yard. :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The reason you have moles is because your yard is full of grubs. Go to lowes/depot etc and get a product called GRUBEX, apply to the lawn and your grub/mole problem will go away.
Grubs are also the reason to have a skunk infestation. Same remedy.
I knew a guy with a German shorthair pointer that would point moles then pounce on them. Funny as heck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

A 22 rifle with the bird shot loads works pretty good for vermin, a lot less noise and a little more challenge.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/produ ... 9767455739
215635.jpg
Follow the instructions. Works. Very high success rate with these. All you have to do is find an active tunnel, cut 2 slits with a shovel (sharpshooter works best) insert a loop into each slit, press down the center of the tunnel with the trigger. It will catch them from either direction.

If you have gophers instead of moles, buy scissor traps and use them in pairs....one in each direction on the main tunnel.

Killing the grubs with poison helps. Or buy a dachshund.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vancelw on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a. run a hose from truck exhaust into the burrows.

2. run truck engine

u b d terminator :)
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I use the scissor type trap, but there is a trick to getting them to work. I have killed over a hundred over the years.
If your experience is like mine, they dirty little rascals would go right through the trap without tripping it. I learned how to trap them after trying to use the trap according to the directions that came with it. An old guy in his 70s showed me how to do it, and I immediately started trapping them. Everyone I have told about this method is now catching moles if they have any left in their yard.
Directions:
1. PREPARE THE TRAP. Bend the trigger downward in a curve so the end is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than the flat factory trigger. Think of it this way, A mole digs by pushing dirt to the side. A flat trigger lets the dirt slide under the trigger without tripping the trap. If the trap is old and rusty, Dress the pan and the trigger wire with a file to smooth thing up. Follow that up with some graphite to make the surfaces slicker.
2. PREPARE THE HOLE. Follow the vertical tunnel under the dirt pile down to the main burrow below. That's where you set the trap. Dig a hole that is as wide as the trap. Fit the trap to the hole before you fill it up with dirt. You want the ends of the scissors to be a little below the bottom of the main tunnel. Make sure that there is room on the side of the hole to allow the wire to spring upward when it is set off. This is accomplished by sloping the side of the trap that the wire sits on the pan.
3.Take the trap out of the hole after fitting it. Fill the hole with loose dirt.
4, This next step is the most important part of getting these traps to work. Find a flat rock about 2" across and 1/2" thick, Fill the hole with loose dirt. Place the rock on top of the dirt, so it is directly under the trigger. Put the safety on and put your hand on top of the trigger and press downward so the trap doesn't go off as you push the trap and the rock down into the soft dirt to the bottom of the tunnel.
5. Cover the trap and hole with a bucket, and check the next day. (One time I set the trap and walked over to the shop. My daughter said she heard a noise that might have been the trap. I checked the trap and there was a dead mole in it!)

The rock can be substituted with a piece of bark in case you don't have flat rocks around. The rock is the key. When mole tries to dig out the dirt under the trap, he pushes on that rock which is directly in contact with the trigger. In other words, when it is digging and pushes the rock to the side, it is pushing directly on the trigger. This even works on the little moles when they are born and start moving around the burrow systems.
If you follow these instructions, you will start killing moles.

A word of warning: make sure the trap is positioned correctly n the burrow. If you dig down and find two burrows on one side of the trap, start over and set the trap in a spot that is on one tunnel. I have never been successful if there are two burrows, Use care when setting the trap to make sure the rock lines up with the trigger and there is room for the trip wire to swing around so the trap can close with out interference from the ground.Moles aren't very smart, but if a mole sets off the trap and isn't caught you just gave it a college degree and they will push dirt into every trap you set.

Good luck!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh I forgot to mention that the grubs are slowly eating the root system of your lawn, slowily killing it.
Trapping the moles works but that doesn't save your lawn...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Skychief
Levergunner

Post by Skychief »

Thanks for all the good information everyone. Much appreciated!!!
cjensen
Levergunner

Post by cjensen »

Sure cure, has never failed. Go to hardware store or other place that sells rat poison in a cake of poisoned grain (warfarin) in a bees wax cake. Find the fresh dug tunnels and bury a piece of the bait in the fresh tunnel areas. The beeswax makes it pretty waterproof and the little buggers bring the bait back to their friends and they all have a last supper together.

https://www.amazon.com/16-oz-Rat-Poison ... B00ALXFPEC
Last edited by cjensen on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

A few pebbles of calcium-carbide placed at various locations in the tunnels will asphyxiate them with oxyacetylene gas.
No need to add water. The moisture in the soil will activate it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rat poison works but ya gotta watch out for your own pets eating the dead moles.
I suppose you could also try ammonia, fumes are heavier than air as well as acetelyne and propane.
I guess you could also dress up like Bill Murry in Caddyshack!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pmI guess you could also dress up like Bill Murry in Caddyshack!
Although... he wasn't all that successful! :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not successful!? maybe not but it was funny!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

765x53 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:41 am A few pebbles of calcium-carbide placed at various locations in the tunnels will asphyxiate them with oxyacetylene gas.
No need to add water. The moisture in the soil will activate it.
Yep
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." :lol:

I don't see them much down here, but when I lived up north, they were a destructive PITA. Eliminating their food source - the grubs - as mentioned above is the only real way, unless you just want the sport of eliminating them one at a time... :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing I never heard anyone mention cats. In over 40 years I can never remember seeing a mouse....mile...whatever in the house and I live in the country with all kinds of animals and feed laying around. I seen plenty of dead ones outside. We have two indoor cats and five who stay outside all the time.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Can't seem to delete this double post
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I had a Jack Russell Terrier he actively hunted sun up to sundown. Unlike cats that hunt when they feel like it.
I would get home from work and he would be waiting on the front step with dead mice, chipmunks, squirrels, rats piled around himself.
Now I'm not saying cats aren't efficient but that JRT was just heck and gone better at vermin control!
Only drawback were all the holes he dug in the yard.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Stuff a lit road flare into the hole and cover it over. Just watch the smoke roll out of all the tunnels. Doesn't always gas them but is kind of fun!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Going to the dermatologist tomorrow get my moles Removed! Haha!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Griff wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:49 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pmI guess you could also dress up like Bill Murry in Caddyshack!
Although... he wasn't all that successful! :P :twisted:
I don't know about that. He made A LOT of money from that film!!

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:18 pm The reason you have moles is because your yard is full of grubs. Go to lowes/depot etc and get a product called GRUBEX, apply to the lawn and your grub/mole problem will go away.
Grubs are also the reason to have a skunk infestation. Same remedy.
I knew a guy with a German shorthair pointer that would point moles then pounce on them. Funny as heck!
This.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chickens ----> fewer grubs ----> fewer moles
Snakes ----> fewer moles
Dogs ----> fewer moles
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45