Comments on selling on facebook and craigslist

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Comments on selling on facebook and craigslist

Post by wecsoger »

Heaven help me, I've posted another vehicle for sale on facebook. This time it's a little Honda Rebel motorcycle that's been setting too long in the garage.

Full disclosure, I've sold multiple items on the two platforms. I'm not a vendor, but like a lot of us, I've too much junk in my life.

And it works. One item, and old Apple desktop of my son's (I asked him first), I had cash in hand barely sixty minutes after posting.

But there are people out there that honestly scare me. This from a former deputy who has transported a lot of mental patients.

At least they were in handcuffs and a transport belt. The people you come across on FB and CL are loose, on their own, and without the benefit of adult supervision.

Posted a jeep for sale. Had one guy that seemed serious, but once we talked on the phone, I got that weird vibe that this person should really be in handcuffs and a transport belt on on their way to a 72 hour commit. We had several long conversations before he bowed out and I think he may have just been lonely. But still needed a lot of help. Had another guy go from a civil email exchange to him abusively telling me the jeep was junk, it was rusted through (despite the proof it was ziebarted), and wouldn't last another year.

Bought some things too. But never, ever, anything high dollar. Camping gear, propane tanks, tools. Make a point to always meet in a public, well lighted parking lot, usually I'll have someone with me, and I'm always carrying. Only didn't one time. Got off a country back road at the address, go up a loooong curvy gravel road to several barely built shacks that looked like after the apocalypse. But they had the tools and threw in the milk carton they were in. I did NOT ask why they had a truck parked cross ways blocking the driveway to the barn and made sure when I parked I had my truck running, door open, and pointed back down the driveway.

So this posting, already got a reply. Guy offering a third of the price and says he'll make payments. (sigh)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Comments on selling on facebook and craigslist

Post by Pete44ru »

I've only done craigslist transactions, both selling & buying, and have never had anything other than a smooth transaction - but I know that I've been fortunate, not to happen across less than normal folks.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I bought a dining room table and a horse trailer on craigslist, both transactions went OK.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I "shop" from time to time... but always find what I'd rather have elsewhere. Take that back... bought a boat on craigslist in AZ... went out to pick it up... most of the hard to find running gear had been stripped out between the time they posted pics and I arrived... 7 days. figured that was a $100 lesson... Seller eventually begged me to come back... Nope... they got fined $150 in towing bills when it wasn't moved... Karma...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Most transactions are good, but you only need one or two bad ones to sour the mix.

So far I've gotten three replies, the previous one offering a third and payments, a second person offering two thirds of asking price (sure he's trying to lowball me) and a third person asking the motorcycles year and price.

Both of which are posted in the ad.

I think some people just post like some kids like to draw on walls.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My few bad experiences have been eBay and Gunbroker transactions. All my Craig's list doings, both buying and selling, have been fine. Luck of the draw.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm not on FB. I've never sold or bought anything on Craigslist. I bought one gun from Armslist that was local. It went very well. He was a good guy. That said, both my wife and I were well armed and stayed spread out at the meeting.
We've had a local weekly magazine called Uncle Henry's up here for as long as I can remember. There was a reality show based off it for a while ( what's the world coming too? ). It has all kinds of categories, including firearms, and can be fairly entertaining. The back cover is an add form you can fill out and drop in a mailbox. There is an online version now too. Bought and sold several guns ( and many other thungs ) by this method. Seen some real sights, even for up here, but never had a problem.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Like anything else, selling to an unknown requires diligence and a bias toward staying unharmed.
Meet and sell your items in a manner where all the other party takes away is your face. License plates, ID, etc. should be denied by you, and it certainly goes without saying that a backup plan is warranted. Remember you're telling the world you have something of value, you're a hobbyist who probably has much more. NEVER give your address.
Avoid "Tracebook" and Paypal at all costs. Around here and where you live, LEOs spend hours every day online finding and tracking local transactions of guns, ammo, and other "selected" materials and activities. Our county's civil servants have no problem placing enticing ads of their own, which might escalate into a felony stakeout - remember the best way to get a raise is increasing your felony arrest count. :shock:

hey advice is free. This is still the US of A.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

My last experience with Craig's list ended with me deciding not to use it again.I put a car up for sale and almost immediately got hit up by assorted scammers . Anything from out of area ones who wanted to use cashier's checks ( not a good idea any more ) to a help you sell online outfit whom I told several times that I didn't need or want their help.They even went in to my e-mail via my cell phone number.Looked them up on line and found a Facebook page full of complaints about them. The main complaint I see on Facebook sales is sellers not holding what they are selling for the first to respond have not tried it myself.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My best Craigslist transaction was selling a pair of used toilets. Guy emailed me within 1/2 hour of posting, called for directions a few minutes after I replied, and I had the $50 in my hand and no more toilets an hour from the beginning. Yes, they were old style 3 gallon flush. Wish I had a few more.

I've sold around 5 cars on craigs, from $2000 to $8000. No issues. Sold appliances during our kitchen remodel, and several pieces of furniture. Guess I've been lucky. Would hate to have to go back to classified ads in our useless newspaper.

Post by wecsoger »

Scammers gotta scam. And vehicles seem to be a good opportunity for them.

I wouldn't give up on craigslist, but just deal with them eyes wide open.

Got same deal selling my jeep. They would mail me a cashiers check for a thousand over, I would cash it and send the money, etc. One guy who was real insistent, I pointed out he could just as easily cash that check himself and then mail me the money.

Oh, and there was the military guy who really, really wanted to buy it, but he was transferring stations, but if I would drive it to a specific location, drop it off and he would wire me the money.

This is like law enforcement, dealing with a crappy section of society tends to color your views.

Craigslist and FB for the non-scammable items, still pretty good. Sell an airbrush set w/compressor, military gas cans, electric power trailer mover, all went well. Bought several Dewalt tools, a coffee maker set, propane tanks, all went well.

Still getting hits on my motorcycle with the usual message, what would you really take for it. Everyone I've replied to, said that I don't chat on FB like a bunch of teenagers, if you're serious about buying you'll come over and look at it, and we'll discuss.

Looks like I chased one guy off with that, but have a young lady that said she's going to come by tomorrow to check on it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't do FB, but Craigslist can be painful at times. What I refer to is the CL flakes. The guys who call you up and get all the info. Then they get your address and say they're on their way over to buy the item. Then you sit there and they never show. Or the ones who argue about the price, and finally give up. Then a day later call again, and act like you wont recognize their phone number. One guy called 3 times after being a no show the first time. I gave him a place I'd meet him, but I never went there. Guess what? He never called and asked why I wasn't there! Probably because he didn't show either.
But I've had enough good transactions to know how to handle the flakes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

MM, I have had the same issue with Craigslist flakes. Have never sold anything on Facebook. Mostly good experiences with Gunbroker. Less so with Gunsamerica.