Roy Marcott's Sharps Book Is Available

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Roy Marcott's Sharps Book Is Available

Post by Shrapnel »

It was worth the wait. A real nice book, just the way I like them, lots of pictures. I was fortunate enough to get a real rare Sharps a few years ago that was marked "A.D. McAusland" from Miles City Montana. Ron and Roy came to Montana a couple years ago photographing Sharps rifles and I had the pleasure of meeting them when they photographed a bunch of local Sharps.

You couldn't ask to meet nicer guys. They were on a long trip of Sharps photography and I have no idea how long they were on the road, but it was a nice opportunity to meet them. They sent me a photograph of my Sharps a few months ago, which I had framed and is hanging on the wall. They also took photographs of my Barney Day post card which ended up in the Sharps Collectors magazine. It is undeniable, they really know how to use a camera...

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Roy Marcott's Sharps Book Is Available

Post by Griff »

Nice... and here I am, drivin' across MT today & tomorrow, trying to decide IF I want to stop in @ Shiloh. Do they have the book?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Give me a holler on your way through, I am in Bozeman, we could have lunch or something. I doubt Shiloh will have the book, but they are worth the visit...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:23 pm Give me a holler on your way through, I am in Bozeman, we could have lunch or something. I doubt Shiloh will have the book, but they are worth the visit...
How early do you do breakfast? I'm likely to stop @ the Broadway Travel Plaza tonite in Belgrade.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Griff wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm
Shrapnel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:23 pm Give me a holler on your way through, I am in Bozeman, we could have lunch or something. I doubt Shiloh will have the book, but they are worth the visit...
How early do you do breakfast? I'm likely to stop @ the Broadway Travel Plaza tonite in Belgrade.
I sent you a PM...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Had a nice visit w/Shrapnel last evening. Gracious host, wondrous firearms collection, (even if a little light on Winchester 94s :P )! A couple of which, I'd never heard of before, let alone fondling them! It was truly an honor to see them, and your obvious delight at being their caretaker for the present.

We shall talk further on our mutual challenges with the .40-90SBN. Maybe I'll bring mine along w/me and we can do some actual shooting... of something besides the breeze!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Roy Marcot does have some gorgeous photography in all of his books. I call them "coffee table books" as they appeal to everyone, even if they're not diehard collectors of a certain gun. But I have almost all of his previous books on various guns, and coffee table books are great to look at, but lack good technical data. Every time I go to the index to try and answer a question I have, I can't find any reference there! The Hepburn book he assisted Tom Rowe with is the same thing. But the Remington .22 rifle book he assisted John Gyde' with is an exception. John Gyde' did an excellent job of providing lots of dates, numbers, and technical info in that treatise!
I find the ones I presently have don't answer a lot of questions on serious collector concerns. Not enough data to determine numbers made of certain models, or configurations. I always compare every gun book to John Dutcher's book on the Ballard Rifle. John did an excellent job of great pictures, but he added so much great info concerning little tidbits of how the actions worked, how design changes were made in things like levers, buttplates, barrels, receivers, and sights. His book should be the example every writer looks at before starting a gun book! But he spent several decades accumulating data and looking at guns before writing it, and most people are in a hurry to get a book to printers and out for sale.
Hopefully with all the Sharps data being so well documented, he was able to put together some technical data, and answer questions about numbers made in various configurations, and such.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I will take Marcot's book all day over the data you have to sift through to find what you want in a book like Maddis' book on Winchesters.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Shrapnel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:57 pm I will take Marcot's book all day over the data you have to sift through to find what you want in a book like Maddis' book on Winchesters.
I rarely look at my copy of Madis. Although his book is confusing, it has a lot of data there. Better there and hard to locate, than not there at all! Campbell's book on the 1885 Winchester is a wonderful treatise for Winchester single shots!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Remember if you find any lack of details...
All Remington records were destroyed in a fire, it's not like going to Cody or Colt who have all the records...