Anyone have a CVA Hunter rifle???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Anyone have a CVA Hunter rifle???

Post by RSY »

Thinking about picking up one in 7mm-08 for my girls to use (and maybe one in .45-70 for me :mrgreen: ). Sub-$250 at Academy. Looks like a hell of a deal.

http://www.cva.com/Hunter.php

Any input welcome, and thanks in advance.

Scott
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone have a CVA Hunter rifle???

Post by RSY »

Actually, probably gonna be in .243 since that chambering comes with a scope, crappy as it may be.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

They're "OK", but if it was me I would shop for a good used Handi-rifle for around the same money.
Or spend about $450 to $500 and get a nice used Encore in .243 and you can always change calibers later for the cost of a barrel.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

My son purchased one in .35 Remington about a year ago to meet the Louisiana requirements for a "primitive weapon". The scope was passable until it was involved in the huge flood we had down here last August. Now you cannot see anything through it. But, the rifle produced consistent 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yards using a handloaded 200 grain jacketed soft point bullet. This .35 is the only one we have experience with, but this one is a very nice rifle with a good trigger pull, built-in sling swivels and a carry case. Of course there are better rifles, but our state requires a single shot and this one will do the job.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

For the past fifteen or so years I have been a staunch Handi rifle afficianado. I have owned them in just about every caliber they make and I centered on the 45/70 as my mostest liked one.
THEN-last year I picked up a CVA Hunter in 7mm-08 at a local gun shop. The rifle really impressed me with it's fit and finish and I found the accuracy was excellent. This caused me to go to the local Cabela's and look at the CVA Hunter in 45/70.I bought it. Put a scope on it and at the range was really impressed with the accuracy just like with the first one I bought.
I then ascessed the differences between the Handi and the CVA as far a design ,fit and finish and accuracy. I decided the Handi was lacking by comparison and consequently I sold two of my three remaining Handi rifles.I'll ALWAYS keep the Handi in .300 Blackout.It is just a neat little rifle.
To make a long story short,I consider the CVA Hunter models to be a better firearm in all aspects than the Handi rifles.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion