April 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

April 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by Griff »

This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot. You can submit either a picture or a scanned image. Must include a description or photo of your equipment & load in your submission post. See rule #7... if we don't know who you are, you can't win... April 1 - 30.

Starting this month I'm making one change... see Rule #1(a). Participation has fallen off... Maybe this'll help.

BASIC Rules: - let's keep it simple -

1. Repeating Lever-action rifle, center-fire pistol caliber ONLY (.32 to .45 cal).
(a) Repeating Lever-action Rifle, center-fire Rimmed "RIFLE" cartridge. (.25 - .45 cal. with FN bullets appropriate to tube magazines. Need not be tube magazine rifle).
2. Shot in the free standing position. (unsupported)
3. Iron sights or tang sights ONLY - no fancy stuff - scopes etc.
4. B6 target - (link to download and print a copy below).
5. 10 Shots only
6. 50 yards (ish)
7. Image of target and with name and date written on target posted for consideration, Include description of rifle & load.
8. A maximum of 4 targets submitted for each Calendar month. (For both firearms... if submitting under pistol and rifle cartridge categories - NOT 4 each - let's not over-work the judges).
9. Your highest score counts.
10. Winner posted at the beginning of the next Calendar month.
11. Open to all members of the forum as of April 1st, 2017.

Approved target:

http://www.silvercitygunclub.com/PDF/b6.pdf

Scoring: Count 10,9,8 and 7 if you hit the paper. A full cut of a line counts to the next highest value. Where there is a tie the most Xs hit in the 10 ring will be the tie- breaker!

Good luck and get out there and shooting!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: April 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by earlmck »

With the relaxation of the rules I thought I'd have a go this month with 99 Savages, of which my only rimmed on is in 303 Savage. Mine is a takedown with light 20" bbl, probably not real conducive to great off-hand shooting. But I think I was able to hold it better than I expected; my difficulties are more along the lines of seeing the sights (sure did miss my fiber-optic front that I have on several of the other rifles). So here's the rifle with ammo -- 117 grain Ranch Dog 32/20 bullet sized on down to .309; 10 grains of Green Dot for a bit over 1600 fps.
303Sav8384.jpg
And the target -- I make it an 88
April303Sav8386.jpg
I also blammed away with the 300 Savage with a similar load -- same bullet and 10.7 grains of the Green Dot. I thought with the longer and heavier barrel I would shoot better but only got 89 with this one. Also missed having the fiber optic, but unlike the older 303, this one has a dovetailed front sight and will no doubt have the fiber optic front by the next time I shoot it. And since I wasn't scoring these for competition as well as having a lot of Scotch blood, I put some 44 cal holes in the same target using a Rossi lever. You'd think the 30's would be easy to tell from the 44's, and I could tell them apart OK but did have to look close.
2rifles8388.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Earl, I count your top target as a score of 89, 1 "X". By enlarging the view, it appears you fully cut the 8 ring with that lower left hole. I had to print out your 2nd target and break out the dial calipers... but concur, it scores as an 89, 0 "X". One hole in the group of three at 3 o'clock in the 10 ring is a .30 hole. I'll ask Kiwikev to confirm my score on the top target.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

This is just so Earl doesn't feel like he's the only one doing this.

Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Claybob, I have your score as an 83, 1 X. I can't quite tell if your shot @10 o'clock cuts the 8 ring or not.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I am just an innocent bystander, but with two different magnifying glasses it does not look like it cut the line. Glad I'm not a judge.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Griff wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm Claybob, I have your score as an 83, 1 X. I can't quite tell if your shot @10 o'clock cuts the 8 ring or not.
Nope.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Looks like a 93 today.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fine shootin'! Aye, a 93 w/1-X it is!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have it as TWO winners for the Month of April. Earlmck for the pistol caliber match... and Claybob86 for the rifle caliber match. I'll set it up for one more round in May. If there ain't more participatin' then... someone else is welcome to try their hand at it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for running these matches, Griff! :)