Prayer request - update (at the end)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Prayer request - update (at the end)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Guys -

I'm sorry to keep coming back to the well here, but I have felt many times the power of prayer from this group, and I need it once again. It's been over 2 years since I've had a bad flare up with my back. The last time, in late 2014, I spent weeks in agony lying in bed, waiting for Workers Comp to approve the spinal injection my orthopedic doctor had ordered the first day. Another almost 2 weeks after they finally approved it until it could actually be worked into the schedule.

The shot worked better than any had ever worked in the past, and I started my weight-loss efforts in January 2015. I figured I needed to change something, otherwise this was going to be a often reoccurring event, and I wouldn't put my worst enemy through the pain I had just endured. As you know, a combination of a low-carb diet and a lot of walking resulted in me losing 63 pounds, and I've kept it off for the whole time. I recently posted having taken my 2,000,000 step of the year; I average 20,000+ steps a day.

Until last week.

Saturday 4/2 I spent the day in the yard, as it was gorgeous outside, doing mild yard work. Nothing strenuous, but my back started hurting that evening. By Sunday it was worse and radiating down my right leg. I'm all too familiar with this progression. Monday I was hunched over, and unable to straighten up. Fortunately I had two PT sessions, one Monday and the other Tuesday (last week) that helped, and the pain stopped increasing. I thought I had made it through - dodging another bullet, so to speak. I spent much of the week changing between laying on an ice pack, walking slowly on the treadmill, then laying on a heating pad.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning I woke up, went to go pee, and collapsed when I stood up - due to pain on my left side. I've never had pain radiating down my left side; always my right. This went from nothing to more intense than anything I've ever had in one day. I've been flat on my back in bed since Friday, unable to stand, sit or walk without excruciating pain. I've only slept a few hours in the last 4 nights total.

My wife took me in to see my orthopedic doctor Monday (first appointment available). He has ordered up an MRI, and I'm waiting for Workers Comp to approve it. Depending on that, it will be a spinal injection and maybe surgery. Meanwhile, I'm laying here. My prescription medication isn't really doing anything at this point.

I should have come here earlier, but I literally couldn't sit up enough to use the laptop in my lap.

Anyway, long story, and again, I'm sorry for asking yet again for your prayers - but I know they help. I'm praying that WC approves the MRI soon, and that it reveals something actionable. One step at a time.

Thanks fellas.

Jay
YK
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Prayer request

Post by Grizz »

I feel for ya Kid, and know how that feels.

Prayers UP for a solution, like divine healing and whatever second best to that might possibly. Thanks for sharing the need, makes focus easier.

Heal UP Brother
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My prayers are on their way.
I'm sure the Doctors will find the right treatment for your back so I'm praying for them too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Prayers up.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Prayers up....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

YK I've had back pain like that once and like you wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope you don't need surgery to get you up and going again. Will remember you in my prayers.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I thank God that I wake up every morning. His Grace is wonderful. I do wish that He had made backs a little more sturdy...Back pain sucks....I offer my prayers that you can recover...As you well know, walk as much as you are able as soon as you can...motion is lotion.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Jay:

Sorry to hear -- prayers sent too.

But......... You've gotta try:

ACUPUNCTURE

Try it!!! You might be surprised by the results!!! A few small pins (OK, maybe 2 dozen) sure beats 1 sharp scalpel!!!

My best friend tried everything -- and surgery almost crippled him for life......

And it was acupuncture that got his quality of life BACK (pun intended :wink: )!

Go for it!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jay I will be praying for God's hand in your back problems and for the doctors to be able to get you some relief.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Prayers said, Jay.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Prayers sent.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Prayers up, Jay. My wife is recovering from her second back surgery in 6 months. On her first one there was a hardware failure. I pray your problems can be fixed without surgery.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Up.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Your prayers are working fellas! No relief in the pain yet (if anything, it is getting worse), but I did get a call yesterday and they have scheduled the MRI for tomorrow! This is the first hurdle in getting some relief. Hopefully the MRI will show them exactly where to put the spinal injection, and hopefully that will alleviate the pain without the need for surgery. Thank you all and please keep the prayers coming!

Jay
YK
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Prayers up.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Prayers up for you & yours.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Prayers up. Pain sucks. Dysfunction sucks more....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Prayers sent.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Prayer request - update (at the end)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Update: I had the MRI on Saturday 4/15. Spent Easter in bed, in pain, missing Mass and a family get together. :(

Heard back from my doctor yesterday. Good news is that the MRI was very clear, and they know exactly where the problem is. Also good news, it is not a problem with a "new" disc, but the same one I've always had problems with (L5/S1).

Bad news is that the herniation of said disc is so large/bad that another nerve root block (spinal) injection is not going to help. I need surgery.

At this point, as I told my doctor, I don't care if it is a shot, surgery, or a ball peen hammer to the head - I just want relief from this unrelenting pain. Each day it is getting worse, which I did not think was possible. The pain is also spreading.

He's ordered up the surgery, but now I am waiting for Workers Comp to approve it. Thank you all for your prayers. At this point, for myself, I am praying for patience and strength.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Prayers for a quick and successful surgery Jay. I sure hope you are back on your feet real soon.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Prayers up. Sounds like you have a good doc. It ashamed you have to await governmental approval for what is obviously a necessary procedure.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Best of luck Jay! I hope this ends the pain for you.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Prayers for a RAPID approval. (Ain't that some stuff? Approval?)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jay, what with my own back surgery last week I somehow missed this. Hope you get rapid approval and the surgery can commence as soon as possible.
I managed to actually run a couple of small errands today and am off pain meds. It is a lot more encouraging to be on the healing side of back surgery, and I hope you will be very soon.
Prayers.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Do they still use that technique of threading a nichrome wire around the disk and heating it to make it more solid? 3 friends had that about 20 years ago and no problems since then.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:01 pm Jay, what with my own back surgery last week I somehow missed this. Hope you get rapid approval and the surgery can commence as soon as possible.
I managed to actually run a couple of small errands today and am off pain meds. It is a lot more encouraging to be on the healing side of back surgery, and I hope you will be very soon.
Prayers.
Bill, I'm happy to hear you are on the mending side, and hope to join you soon.

Unfortunately, Workers Comp still hasn't approved the surgery. I've spent another weekend in horrendous pain, which is getting a bit worse each day, and spreading more each day.

Thank you all for your prayers. At this point, 3 weeks into unrelenting pain, and two weeks being essentially bedridden, please pray for strength for me to get through this all.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 am Do they still use that technique of threading a nichrome wire around the disk and heating it to make it more solid? 3 friends had that about 20 years ago and no problems since then.
It will all depend on what Workers Comp will approve. Given the run-around they've given me so far, I'm worried...
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Very sorry tolearn of you ongoing issue with with your back.
you might want to check this out

https://charlotte.thediscinstitute.com/

I will pray for a complete omplete to our lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian