I had no need for a new 30/30....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I have no need at all for another 30/30. Can't hunt deer with them in lower Michigan, have a Rossi 357 which is my fun gun. Two for sale ads popped up last week. One was for a Pre-64 with a Lyman peep for a decent price on a local forum. I texted and PM'd the seller and never heard back. No clue what is going on with him as he has been back on the forum since without any response at all. Kinda really wanted that one as my pre-64 has been drilled and tapped for a side mount scope and the rear sight shaved halfway.

Another was for a 90's model AE, seller responded, I low balled and ended up with it. Turns out it was his deceased Grandpa's gun that had been in the closet. He wanted money for a Vegas trip. I won't get into selling inherited firearms but what are you going to do.

Anyway, this thing as near as I can tell is un-fired. No wear marks on the lever or the hammer, no brass on the loading gate. Came with a Tasco Pronghorn that I was all set to discard until I started playing with it. Now the dilemma. How long can I hold out before I shoot it...
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I had no need for a new 30/30....

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I guess it wouldn't last long after the ride home. Let us know how it groups. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I would like to see pictures of this rifle and of the targets you shoot with it.
Yeah, I know what it looks like. I still like to look at them.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:07 pm I would like to see pictures of this rifle and of the targets you shoot with it.
Yeah, I know what it looks like. I still like to look at them.
Same here. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

ethang, glad you got a real gem of a 94, now tell me about not being able to use a 30-30 in lower part of Michigan. Where are you and when was this passed? I lived in Isabella county years ago.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Having a 30/30 (.30WCF) is a good thing, brings calmness to ones souls, stability within the cosmos, and joy in the heart. I tried walking away from the 30/30, but I always go back. The cartridge and it's leverguns simply work for me... :)
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

JerryB wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 pm ethang, glad you got a real gem of a 94, now tell me about not being able to use a 30-30 in lower part of Michigan. Where are you and when was this passed? I lived in Isabella county years ago.
Zone 3 in Southern Michigan has been a shotgun/muzzle loader only zone since the 50's. The last few years it was opened up to straight wall pistol cartridges.

Funny thing about the shotgun zone, you can use a centerfire rifle to hunt anything other than deer in the shotgun zone. I could use a 30/30 to hunt coyotes or woodchucks, heck rabbits if I wanted to. Just not deer.....

Legislators are not very bright.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A .30-30 is food for the soul.......................

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What does need have to do with it?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Neither did I until a very nice 1961 showed up. :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congratulations on your piece of American culture. You already have some apple pie right? The world is calmer and more peaceful now.

:)
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ethang wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:45 amLegislators are not very bright.
Candidate for understatement of this and previous centuries! :o :lol: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

just your basic run of the mill AE94

first time I have ever played with a scoped lever action. I thought I would hate, however as my eyes are getting older and open sights are getting harder to see it's kinda growing one me

it's hard to tell from the picture but there is almost no wear at all on the hammer

or the action bars

or the lifter

shooting it is a foregone conclusion. Keeping the rings and putting a nicer low power scope on it remains to be seen.The wood to metal fit leaves much to be desired, the trigger is stiff and the rebound hammer system is horrible. I have a good feeling though that this is going to become a nice shooter. Heck, maybe one day I will take it into the woods after rabbits and such...
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Yeah I can see enjoying shooting that. Congratulations again!
John
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

You done good! Thanks for the pictures. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

If it was unfired it is no longer. I only had some old Remington ammo I scrounged up from work and didn't have much time over lunch. My first shot is the single, I did not hold the fore end. The next three I did. Only 50 yards but 4 inches high needed some adjustment.

Made a quick sight adjustment and took another few rounds. It shows promise. Feeding was little rough but I expected that being for all intents and purposes new.

I kinda wonder how much penetration these old Remington FMJ would produce.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks like a little fine tuning and you'll be ready to take that beauty and head on up to Grayling. Maybe drop one of those big swamp bucks on the Manistee river. Is that still a good area to hunt?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine like that is scoped. Will shoot 3/4" for three at 100 yds with Federal or Winchester 170s. I have about 600 rds through mine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I should have used a different target, but I am cheap. This is an old box of 170 soft points I bought in the mid 90's when I bought my Ranger.

Got into a debate with one of my buddies at work today who " doesn't have any use for a 30/30". He believes a deer rifle is a 30/06 or bigger. I asked him what the farthest distance he ever shot a Michigan whitetail was... 80 yards. :roll: :lol:
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I should have used a different target, but I am cheap. This is an old box of 170 soft points I bought in the mid 90's when I bought my Ranger.

Got into a debate with one of my buddies at work today who " doesn't have any use for a 30/30". He believes a deer rifle is a 30/06 or bigger. I asked him what the farthest distance he ever shot a Michigan whitetail was... 80 yards. :roll: :lol:
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Somehow, I expect your 30WCF will do fine at 80 yards. ;)
John