1895 Winchester 405 Win Safari Centennial

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

1895 Winchester 405 Win Safari Centennial

Post by Pop Watts »

I have a chance to buy a Safari Centennial 1895.
It has the nickel receiver with engraving and gold inlay and a blued barrel.
Only fired a couple of rounds so pretty much in as new condition.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these comemeratives?
Are they well made, shoot well??
I have never been into commemoratives, but where else will I find an 1895 in 405 Winchester that I could buy?
Would appreciate your comments.
Thanks.
Pop.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1895 Winchester 405 Win Safari Centennial

Post by Pete44ru »

About 12 years ago, I had a new Miroku/Winchester 1895 in .405 - one of the production run of .405's that Miroku made from the thousands of unsold .270's.

It was the standard/Grade I model, and mine shot very well with Hornady 300gr ammo - but any M-1895 shooter is limited by the issue open/iron sights.

To extent my usable range, I installed an XS peepsight atop the rear half of the bolt, along with the XS White Line (pin-in) front sight, which was tall enough to zero the peep ( a taller front sight was needed due to the XS peep's higher line-of-sight).

XS makes & sells directly the same front & peep sight set for the M-1895: www.xssights.com

It took very little time to become used to the unusual cartridge loading method required by the M-1895's design, but I ended up liking it.

The 300gr JSP should do an excellent job of taking Roo's and the buffalo you have in OZ.

I sorts miss the .30-06 Miroku/Winchester 1895 I had for awhile......... :cry:

I've never seen that particular commemorative, so I hope you'll post some pics here after you nick it. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I've owned a several Miroku made guns and the quality and accuracy of each has been nothing short of outstanding. I've had High Walls, Low Walls, and an 1886 lever gun and have been 100% satisfied with them in every way. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to get that gun if it's something you want. Miroku is a high quality manufacturer of firearms.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Pop,
If it a nice, unfired Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 WCF that you want, take a look at my Deluxe. It was the first .405 and I bought it to look at and to show; then I bought my 1895 "shooter" which is a dandy big game gun.

A closer view of the Deluxe:

The reason that I am willing to sell the Deluxe - My Simson Suhl .405 double rifle - beauty and beast:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I've got an 1892 as well as a 1895 (bot SRC's) from Miroku. They are very well made guns. Though I haven't shot either one as much as I'd like I can say the 95 is astonishingly accurate.

Gunbroker usually has a few Miroku's in .405 if I was smart I'd get one now but I am trying to find a SRC in 30-40 first.