Lee hand press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Lee hand press

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Well I loaded up 80 rounds of 300 Blackout with the Lee hand press. Was only a little slower than my using my RCBS Rochucker. They are up to $36 by themselves or $52 in a kit! Wish I had bought a few when they were $27 for a kit a few years ago! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lee hand press

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, yepper they work good. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought one a few years back.I took it out of the box and looked at it once . Not a bad looking tool. Maybe I will remember
What I bought it for one of these days. I think it was to be able to deprime brass while setting in the shade ???
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use mine to mostly decap my black powder rounds with a "universal" decapping die. I drilled a hole in the side of the ram with an upward angle, letting the caps fall out. (Unabashedly stole that idea from someone here)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Portable hand presses like the Lee or old Huntingtons are great for load work up at the range. Rather than load up 10 of a dozen different loads, to figure out what the gun prefers, you can simply load up five, shoot them, and load up 5 more. Then once you get a group that shoots well you're not stuck with a bunch of loaded ammo you know wont shoot as well, but have to shoot it anyway, or go home and pull bullets.
I use my Huntington's hand press specifically for this scenario.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:57 pm Well I loaded up 80 rounds of 300 Blackout with the Lee hand press. Was only a little slower than my using my RCBS Rochucker. They are up to $36 by themselves or $52 in a kit! Wish I had bought a few when they were $27 for a kit a few years ago! Todd
Richard donated a couple of them to our hunting camp a few years ago...well maybe fifteen or so years ago.

Never loaded more than twenty or so at a time...worried about having to take the bra out a couple of notches...had my wife help, she figured out what I was up to after load'n up a few rounds and called me a pig.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:14 pm Portable hand presses like the Lee or old Huntingtons are great for load work up at the range. Rather than load up 10 of a dozen different loads, to figure out what the gun prefers, you can simply load up five, shoot them, and load up 5 more. Then once you get a group that shoots well you're not stuck with a bunch of loaded ammo you know wont shoot as well, but have to shoot it anyway, or go home and pull bullets.
I use my Huntington's hand press specifically for this scenario.
WOW, this reminded me that 9 years ago, (didn't realize it was that long ago), I used mine at the FOBD shoot in CO, in just that fashion. I think I took 100 empty primed cases, a pound of BP, 100 sized, lubed bullets, Sharps, Lee Hand Loader and a .40-90SBN seating die...

For actual load development I tend to use my Lyman Bonanza press, bolted to a piece of ¾ or 1" plywood and c-clamped to the loading bench, a Black & Decker Work-Mate™ or the tailgate on my p/u. (I tried sizing those 2-5/8" long 40-90SBN cases on the Lee Hand Press... THAT was a no-can-do)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My Huntington press has no method to attach it to a board or bench. But it works great just holding it! I use it often for taking along if I'm going to be at a shoot out of town, or at the range with my Harrell's powder measure. Since I have a fair amount of data for the Harrell's measure, it allows me to dial in a certain number of clicks and know the powder charge. Plus I know the Harrell's drops a specific .03 grains per click, so I can adjust it and know the weight change.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've loaded up a couple hundred rounds of .45 Colt, using a Lee Hand Press, while stuck in bed the last couple of weeks due to the back issues. Y2K brought up my bag that had all the components ready. It really helped get my mind off the pain.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pmY2K brought up my bag that had all the components ready. It really helped get my mind off the pain.
Now that's a truly devoted kid.....you raised him right...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pmY2K brought up my bag that had all the components ready. It really helped get my mind off the pain.
Now that's a truly devoted kid.....you raised him right...!
:D :D :D

He's coming home this weekend from college to take care of the lawn for me. :D
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:39 pm I bought one a few years back.I took it out of the box and looked at it once . Not a bad looking tool. Maybe I will remember
What I bought it for one of these days. I think it was to be able to deprime brass while setting in the shade ???
Hey, that's what I do too!
It is a darn handy tool for reloading.
otteray
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I use mine outside more often than not.
Sized lead with it just this morning out in the back yard. It was great!
I keep all my reloading gear in a case with a handle on it about the size of a shoebox.
It's the only loader I've ever had and for what I do its pretty sweet so far.
My first child - '94 30-30