Winchester/ Miroku 1886 tang sight options.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester/ Miroku 1886 tang sight options.

Post by 2ndovc »

I was looking at a new 1886 at a local shop today and was thinking about buying one. My question is since there is a tang safety are there any other options for a tang sight other than the one Marbles offers for this model? I have a Marbles for my 1895 Marlin and it's not the most attractive looking thing and kinda bulky, but it works.

The plan for the '86 is some long range shooting, maybe some hunting too. I'd rather not use a receiver sight for nothing other than aesthetic reasons.

Or, should I just go looking for an older Browning with out the tang safety?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester/ Miroku 1886 tang sight options.

Post by flatnose »

If you want to shoot long range, you will need plenty of rear sight elevation. I went with the Marbles Improved tang sight, so that I can swap out the elevation staff as needed. The safety is not obscured by the sight. I have not shot with this sight yet, so I can not say how good it is.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Marble's designed to fit behind the tang safety on my Winchester/Miroku 1886 takedown rifle. It works very well and I am happy with it. The only problem I had was with the rifle itself. The rebounding hammer system caused many failures to fire. I replaced the hammer and trigger with those for a Browning, modified the tang safety bar to fit the Browning hammer, and now I have a regular half-cock and the rifle goes bang every time.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there 2ndovc -- It's been my experience that even with the Marbles set up for the tang safety, the bolt reduces your effective windage adjustment if the sight needs to move right or left to zero windage. An 1886 without the tang safety would offer more options in my opinion. Best regards. Wind

Last edited by Wind on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the info guys! Has anyone tried the Providence Lyman 21 reproduction?

jb 8)

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I installed a Providence Tool Co. reproduction of the Lyman 21 on my Browning 1895 in .30-40 Krag. It is a very well made sight for the money. I was even able to drill and tap the aperture hole to accept a Merit adjustable eyepiece. I have shot NRA High Power Hunting Rifle Silhouette matches with it and find the sight settings to be repeatable. The sight has also been used for Blacktail deer hunting with good success.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey again 2ndovc -- I've got one on my Winchester 1895. I don't know that I would add the extra hole needed to mount one on a 1886. As a sight, they will allow you to reach out quite a ways, but they aren't as easily repeatable as a click adjustable tang sight or better yet a vernier tang sight such as a Montana Vintage Arms. They are a nice quality sight and I drilled and tapped the aperture on the bridge to accept threaded Lyman apertures. Best regards. Wind

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Dang Shasta! We're almost twins, both in rifles and experience!! My '95 is in 30US as well.

And 2ndvoc -- If you're serious about a lever gun and long range you might also consider a Marlin 1895 Cowboy. They do very well at that game. You might also consider just going to the Montana Vintage Arms tang sights. They cost more than the receiver sights and Marbles or Lyman tang sights, but they are far superior to both. I'll bet two nickels Shasta agrees with me here too. Best regards. Wind

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:40 pm Thanks for the info guys! Has anyone tried the Providence Lyman 21 reproduction?

jb 8)
I've got one on that Browning 1895 I bought off you and converted to .35 Whelen. I like it a lot, but I have it set for MPBR and leave it. I'm not sure how well it would work if you tried to move it and reset it often for target shooting.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks again Guys! Appreciate the info.
No stranger to long range shooting, but most of that is with M1s, M1As, 1903s, Trapdoors and Martinis. All tangent/ peep type sights. I have a couple tang sights but they are set it and leave it type and haven't spent much time with them. Kinda the whole purpose of this experiment. I keep going between a Sharps, 1885 and an 1886. I have an '86 LW in .33WCF and would really like one in 45-70 so that's the kick I'm on right now.

jb 8)

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I added the Providence 21 to my 1886 EL. Absolutely love it. Looks beautiful too. I D&Td mine for standard apertures also. Wears a Merit.

:oops: The included screw is soft enough to bend a touch if you don't drill perfectly square. :oops:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You mentioned the possibility of just shopping around for a Browning 86 instead of the Win/Mir with tang safety and I think that is the thing to do. I have an original 86 and a Browning and both are just great without that dratted tang safety. The Browning does wear a receiver sight but then it is an SRC that sees no long range use. Put a WTB here and in the SASS classifieds and I bet you can find one for around $1500.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:05 am You mentioned the possibility of just shopping around for a Browning 86 instead of the Win/Mir with tang safety and I think that is the thing to do. I have an original 86 and a Browning and both are just great without that dratted tang safety. The Browning does wear a receiver sight but then it is an SRC that sees no long range use. Put a WTB here and in the SASS classifieds and I bet you can find one for around $1500.
That's probably what's going to happen. Doesn't necessarily have to be an 1886 either. I was at a show yesterday looking over a nice Browning 1885. The guy had a pretty tall price on it so I passed.

Thanks again for all the responses.

jb 8)