Big Horn Armory Model 89 Article

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Big Horn Armory Model 89 Article

Post by kaschi »

There was an article on the Model 89 in AR Magazine last month. It was in the Dope Bag section and was more of an evaluation typical of that part of the magazine. What caught my attention was the addition of the "trigger safety pin" (I really do not know what the thing is called) requiring that the lever be completely closed before the trigger can be squeezed. This set up is found on (at least) the Model 73 and 94 (not sure if the Model 76 has it) but not on the 86 or 92. I'd love to handle one of the Big Horn Model 89s. Hopefully they will come out with a straight lever version sooner than later.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Big Horn Armory Model 89 Article

Post by piller »

With the power of a .50 S&W, I would want the action fully in battery before setting off the round. Disaster might not be fun with that much power.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mine hasn't been shot enough to be 'slick and smooth' yet, but it is very solid yet handy. About the same size as the Marlin 'Guide Gun' it replaced, but maybe 8 oz (guessing here) heavier. I have the carbine version. Action pretty much like an 1886.

I really LIKE the curved grip - makes recoil very manageable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM2_p6xuJQ
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:20 pm
Mine hasn't been shot enough to be 'slick and smooth' yet, but it is very solid yet handy.

Doc, you might want to consider the way I smoothed up just about every new Marlin levergun I bought over the past 50-odd years.

Although it drove everyone else in the house a little crazy, I'd just constantly cycle the action for an hour or so each evening (also when I used my hand tools for either de, or re, priming cartridge cases).

That usually knocked off most of the rough edges left by manufacturing machining.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.....that's most fun when watching a John Wayne western, wearing a cowboy hat, and looking a little crazed.... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am .....that's most fun when watching a John Wayne western, wearing a cowboy hat, and looking a little crazed.... :mrgreen:

Have U been spying on me ? ? ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: