Military choosing SIG Sauer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Military choosing SIG Sauer

Post by daisygordoninc »

Why in the world doesn't the US military choose an American made gun from one of the many fine
gun manufacturers in America ? It's hard for me to understand that. Didn't any American gun
companies compete for the new contract ?
Why SIG Sauer?
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Military choosing SIG Sauer

Post by Old No7 »

Leaving the merits of the gun they selected aside...

What you're saying is:

Beretta:
An Italian company, that by virtue of building a manufacturing/assembly plant in the U.S. -- was "OK to supply the US Military".

SIG:
European-owners, with a manufacturing/assembly plant located in New Hampshire -- but "that isn't OK".....................

Seems there's a major flaw in your logic...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

So you believe those guns will be made in their American Plant ?
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

No I don't think Beretta should have been chosen either, there are
American companies who can build those weapons just as well.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think that buying guns from foreign owned companies is going to bite our country in the butt no matter where the factory is.

Ruger, S&W, Colt, and others would be better choices in my opinion. Not to mention the jobs and boost to the U.S, economy it would make.

JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

daisygordoninc wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:57 am So you believe those guns will be made in their American Plant ?
From my experiences working there, and contacts with those who still do -- yes, that's guaranteed.

One could argue the P320 is an "American Design" which evolved from older Swiss designs -- and will be made by American workers in an American factory, with a boatload of American-made parts and support shops in the supply chain.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

The Army took nearly a decade to select a new handgun. Lets not pretend any American owned companies didn't have the opportunity to submit a pistol into the competition. I fully understand and support "buying American" and do so whenever possible. But as a prior infantry Marine I support picking the best weapon (from sidearms to airplanes) for our armed forces no matter who owns the parent company. The Sig has a better trigger, more capacity, better sight options, is lighter and had a modular grip to better fit more of our fighting forces.

As an aside: Back around 2002 or so our battalion received 50 M4 carbines to try out. This was just before we got our new M16A4's, the M4's were supposed to be a trial run (instead of going to grunts to try under field conditions they went to battalion brass to carry around as status symbols). Those M4's were made by Colt and many of them would not pass the armorers check. Several had barrels that could be wiggled by hand. No I dont mean the upper and lower receivers rattled I mean the barrel moved visibly in the upper receiver. Thats a gun that's been made since 1969 and they couldn't manage to send out 50 from the Colt factory without serious issues. The day my armorer friend showed me this was a sad day for me as I too respect and admire the Colt brand.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well said Sir!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I agreed with HawkCreek, the goal should be to get the best available firearms for our troops! I have a Sig p320 and it is a wonderful pistol and says Exeter NH on the side. Colt does not make anything striker fired. Ruger does but chose not submit it. S&W makes the M&P which is a good pistol but not at the level of a p320. My son is in the National Guard and is going to Kabul in November so I have a vested interest. The p320 is now and will be made by Americans. The choice is made on price for the quality perceived and they made a good choice. God Bless.😇
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"There are two SIG Sauer companies. The original company, SIG Sauer GmbH, is a firearms manufacturer and importer. It had been formed as a partnership between Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft of Switzerland and J.P. Sauer & Sohn of Germany. It is a subsidiary of Lüke & Ortmeier Gruppe (L&O Holding), which also owns Swiss Arms AG.

A separate company was founded in the USA in 1985 with the name Sigarms (until October 2007) to import and distribute SIG Sauer firearms into the United States. Since 2000 SIG Sauer Inc. has been organizationally separate from manufacturer SIG Sauer GmbH.

SIG (now known as SIG Holding, AG) no longer has any firearms business. This last was sold to L&O Holding of Emsdetten, Germany and was renamed Swiss Arms."

So these will be American guns from an American company, made in America.

(they're also apparently making them elsewhere in the world for sales to other countries.)
Slow is just slow.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I just picked up my LE priced Sig P-320 Compact with a sub-compact slide and medium frame in 9mm (two for the price of one). The trigger pull is amazing, the accuracy is good. I really like the modular concept and I think Glock and I may be heading for a break-up, ok, I'll never give up my G-19, BUT... as for American made auto's, Ruger and Smith & Wesson aren't on the cutting edge of design, they simply have re-designed the Glock, and you'll see both re-designing the P-320...YMMV... :)
SIG P-320 COMPACT.jpg
SIG P-320 SUB-COMPACT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.