BFR revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

BFR revolvers

Post by alnitak »

Have you guys seen these?

http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR-Stainless.asp

They come in .30-30, .45-70, .45 LC and others.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: BFR revolvers

Post by Blaine »

I had one in 45-70 several years ago. Very good quality. Tight. I wish I had never sold it and will probably replace it someday. :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I wonder what a 7.5" 30-30 would be like/ I'll bet the muzzle flash would be horrendous :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have not owned one, but I have a friend with a pair of 10" .45-70s that I have fired many times in the past.

A lot of gun, but surprisingly easy to handle.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, Ruger made the frames for the BFR (and other guns/parts for even more gun companies) at it's Pine Tree Castings plant in N.H.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

One in 45/70 just sold for $650 on the Cast Boolits forumn!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I just bought 1 in 460s&w , I'm going to shoot it some then ship if off to a gunsmith in VT. and have it converted to a revolving carbine😜
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

azzhandler wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 pm I just bought 1 in 460s&w , I'm going to shoot it some then ship if off to a gunsmith in VT. and have it converted to a revolving carbine😜
Now that sounds like a cool idea! Any details?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I had one in 22 Hornet about 15 yrs ago and sold it only because another shooting iron took its place. Great quality revolver as it always reminded me of a Ruger. After reading what Pete44ur wrote, my thinking was correct. I always wondered why Ruger never offered a Blackhawk in 22 Hornet.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have shot a 45 Colt and the 45-70 stretch frame versions. Both were very well made and extremely accurate revolvers, like out of the box ready for silhouette good. The 45-70 was surprisingly easy to handle. Certainly a step above above a Ruger but not as classy as a Freedom Arms. I think they're fantastic for the money.

Eric
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

azzhandler wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 pmI just bought 1 in 460s&w... have it converted to a revolving carbine
Oh, dear. The spitting from the cylinder gap from that high pressure round, so close to one's face, might be disconcerting.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

Fairfax Firearms is going to do the work, he assures me there will be no issues with cylinder gap blast he uses a guard like on the Taurus judge,,,, if you go to their website and click on the rifles section he has pictures of various models that he does( no pictures of BFR) but it'll look like the ruger conversion toward bottom of page, mine will be set up with AAA walnut stockswith pistol grip and left hand cheek piece, peep sight in rear, and a Lyman globe sight in front, with a 22" barrel, along with sling swivels ,,,,, will be used for deer hunting in Ohio and Indiana,,,, if it wasn't for Indiana's 1.8 inch case limit I would have went with either 45-70 or 450 Marlin cartridge,,,, I have a T/C encore 460 S&W with a 20" barrel and get over 2800 fps with 200 gr honady's ,,,,
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the link! I think a Single Seven/ .327 Federal carbine might be in the near future. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I recently bought one in 45-70, I really like it and it is not as hard to handle as some think.
Going through load development right now.
It is very well made and accurate.

If I can win the lottery I will add one in 30-30 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

azzhandler wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:27 amFairfax Firearms is going to do the work, he assures me there will be no issues with cylinder gap blast he uses a guard like on the...
Well, at least some on-line reviews of the Rossi Circuit Judge do mention gas spitting. The shield protects your wrist, but it doesn't wrap all the way around.

I didn't know of Fairfax Firearms. It's interesting work they do; thanks for pointing them out. I once toyed with the idea of a .45-70 BFR converted so, but the cylinder gap worried me. I look forward to your report.