Circa 1890 Parker NH 10 gauge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Circa 1890 Parker NH 10 gauge

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got my new to me Parker NH 10 gauge on a #3 frame with 32" barrels . The gun was made in 1890 . Received it tuesday and shot some patterns with it tuesday afternoon at 25 yards . Had 00000 , 0000 , 0 , 1 , 2 and 3 buck loaded .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Circa 1890 Parker NH 10 gauge

Post by 6pt-sika »

This one is slated for use with 0000 and #3 buck just because I've not killed deer with those two sizes in a 10 gauge as of yet .

In the next couple weeks I wanna try my .730" 730 grain slugs in the gun as well . Think I might try 000 and 00 buck with the petals removed from the SP-10 wad and a mylar wrap . That combo seems to work pretty well with the 00000 and 0000 buck pretty well .

It "appears" I may very well have a circa 1883 Grade 0 top lever hammer Parker on a #2 frame with 32" barrels and a straight grip stock on the way . If that works out I'll use one of the buckshot sizes and or the slugs in that gun next season !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Those loads will do for most Bambi blasting! Nice find!
I've been toying with the idea of some 28 buckshot, just no real reason to with a flat of Winchester mil spec OO ( pre election purchase)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Was out at the club this evening shooting the rest of my skeet league targets . And I drug along this NH 10 gauge and an GH 12 gauge with 32" barrels . The GH came to me a couple days after I left for the Philippines in march . And I'd yet to shoot it yet . The old guns choked M & F stood behind station four by about five yards shot a high bird with the modified barrrl then shot the low house bird with the full barrel crush crush simple enough . So I put in two more and tried a pair , cut the first shot on the high bird short and crushed the second shot on the low bird . Tried the same pair again and crush crush . Then I unlimbers the NH . High bird from behind station four crush , low from me the same spot crushed as well , then shot a pair from the same spot both ways Hugh bird first then low bird first and got all four . I pulled a couple rounds for some other folks then tried three pair one pair at three a pair at four and a pair at five . Out there f those three pair I cut the first bird on station four short and got all the others . So all told I shot the ten gauge twelve times and missed once and out the of six targets with the 12 got five . Not great but not terrible either .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sounds like a keeper 6pt! I'm guessing you are the only person there shooting 10 for skeet targets!
Long time ago I restocked a GH 20 ga, it was kept behind the basement door, one of the owners family flung the door open and the gun went flying down the stairs, both stock and for end splintered.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
olskool
Levergunner

Post by olskool »

are you shooting black powder? is the gun safe with Damascus barrels?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olskool wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am are you shooting black powder? is the gun safe with Damascus barrels?
The 12 is Damascus the 10 is twist steel .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 am Sounds like a keeper 6pt! I'm guessing you are the only person there shooting 10 for skeet targets!
Long time ago I restocked a GH 20 ga, it was kept behind the basement door, one of the owners family flung the door open and the gun went flying down the stairs, both stock and for end splintered.
I was shooting a circa 1951 Browning Superposed 20 gauge in the league actually . But you are correct I was the only one shooting a 10 gauge at ANY targets .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always preferred a 28 for skeet, I'd get some odd looks from the trap guys as well. Then I shoot same scores and they would throw fits!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!